Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What to do with left over prescription drugs?
Nixie
Hazard to Others

Mood: ?

[*] posted on 13-10-2008 at 04:02
What to do with left over prescription drugs?

I have some bottles of cimetidine and oxycodone here from someone that moved out and left them. I'm wondering if there's anything interesting I can do with them chemistry wise, as I don't have any ailments that would benefit from me taking them.

I figure it's best not to simply dump them because of http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/03/10/pharma.water1.ap/

[Edited on 13-10-2008 by Nixie]

\"Good is a product of the ethical and spiritual artistry of individuals; it cannot be mass-produced.\" --Aldous Huxley
prole
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-10-2008 at 05:25

In my area of the US, and perhaps elsewhere, there are local HAZMAT collection days, and here they collect all things toxic, including prescription drugs. Now, usually the events employ the use of low-risk criminal offenders (free labour compliments of the prison system), so handing them oxycodone likely wouldn't get your medications disposed of properly. I didn't check the CNN link you gave, so I don't know if the following is covered there, but most medications, vitamins, illicit drugs, etc. get pissed out largely unchanged and end up in the water supply anyway. Do you have a local county health department you can check with? Or maybe a hospital could give you some insight. Chemistry wise, you could probably do something with the oxycodone, but why bother, since you're not interested in taking it yourself anyway, and doing so would be a felony in most developed nations.

unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-10-2008 at 08:26

In the UK the usual advice is to return unused drugs to the local pharmacy store so they can dispose of them (though some detective story I read featured a pharmacist with an unusual use for these ).
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 13-10-2008 at 08:44

Send the oxy's to me.

I will dispose of them properly. :D

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
Nixie
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-10-2008 at 15:05

I guess I'll either keep them in case I get pain, or return them to the store that prescribed them which is on the label.

\"Good is a product of the ethical and spiritual artistry of individuals; it cannot be mass-produced.\" --Aldous Huxley
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 13-10-2008 at 19:02

Well, the Oxy could be converted to Numorphan, which some consider to be the "Cadillac" of all opiates.

Pretty illegal though. I wouldn't like to be caught doing that.

Moreover, I probably wouldn't do that. I never found opiates pleasant. I always preferred flushing them to using them.

Years ago, I used to just give my pain meds to any friend that wanted them. This worked out poorly for the recipients. Apparently, some folks can get addicted to such things.

The conservative, middle of the road, pragmatic thing to do, is to bury 'em in the back yard. Then, after our government collapses, and it isn't illegal anymore, you can dig 'em up and trade 'em for something useful. Like a barbecued dog. Yumm!
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 14-10-2008 at 09:54

I agree with unionised! I returned unused drugs to the pharmacist before. In fact My local pharmacy will dispose of some chemicals etc too.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 01:35

ether cleavage of the codone
might be interesting.

if you have enough you could try a few ways to do this to see how easy it is to destroy the opiate. oxycodone to my knowlage is a lot more stable to ether cleavage than codiene so you should be able too cleave it easily without pyridine or boron halides.

still the question does make one think why bother if your not into the drugs.

panziandi do think a pharmacy will dispose of amalgum waste ;).

honestly though what do you do with the stuff its hideously toxic.

[Edited on 15-10-2008 by Ephoton]

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 05:07

My local pharmacy offered to dispose of heavy metal waste because I told them I was making transition metal complexes. However I tend to recycle my more exotic (and obviously more toxic) transition metal compounds! Ofcourse they will dispose of mercury since they use mercury in thermometers and also pharmacies are licenced traders of schedual 1 poisons in the UK so if they supply (whether they would willingly sell to a member of the public is up to the pharmacist themselves) they must also be willing to accept surplus schedualed chemicals from the individual and offer a suitable route of disposal.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Nixie
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 08:59

Well if anyone wants them they can have them for free, it's about a bottle and a half. I think I can only risk shipping within the country though.

stateofhack
Hazard to Others

Mood: annoyed

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 10:22

Quote:
Originally posted by Nixie
Well if anyone wants them they can have them for free, it's about a bottle and a half. I think I can only risk shipping within the country though.

This is not a good idea, shipping oxy and other prescription drugs is a very stupid thing to do! I hope this thread is some kind of a joke...
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 13:51

Your altruism is misplaced.

Such a give-away of narcotics is just as illegal as selling narcotics. From a law enforcement perspective, it IS selling narcotics. Even making the offer might be considered as selling narcotics. Even if you don't actually have the aforementioned narcotics!

Mailing such material would be another serious crime.

At the moment, you are in incredible legal peril.

I strongly suggest that the next thing you type should be, "Ha, Ha......I was just kidding!"

[Edited on 15-10-2008 by zed]

[Edited on 15-10-2008 by zed]
Nixie
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 15:34

No one will know who sent them--I'll drop them off in a mailbox and won't include a return address. I doubt Canadian law enforcement can compel the forum owners to reveal my IP.

First address in my U2U gets it.

[Edited on 15-10-2008 by Nixie]

stateofhack
Hazard to Others

Mood: annoyed

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 16:56

Quote:
Originally posted by Nixie
No one will know who sent them--I'll drop them off in a mailbox and won't include a return address. I doubt Canadian law enforcement can compel the forum owners to reveal my IP.

First address in my U2U gets it.

[Edited on 15-10-2008 by Nixie]

You, my dear friend are either a cop or the biggest idiot i have seen in a very very long while. i know what i am saying it harsh, but you are just asking for it, posting on a public forum that your giving out prescription medication to anyone?....
this is insane, why don't you hand out bullets and a revolver, we can all sit down and play some russian rullet:mad:?
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 17:20

Nixie,

I think you can be reasonably sure that some of us here.....ARE COPS!

As an act of mercy, I'm hoping the moderators will close this thread and your U2U.

And thereby, if you are serious, prevent you from getting yourself into REAL trouble.
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 16-10-2008 at 03:06

Stop being so rude and give him break. Tho I do agree that posting this in Org. Chem instead of the pw protected whimsy probably is not helping us attract positive attention, you guys are still being overly paranoid.

The cops are not gonna raid anyone for a couple oxy pills in the mail, nor are they gonna pretend to be forum members sending a couple in the mail :mad:

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"

Go To Top