Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: OTC ethly alc.
beastmaster
Harmless

Mood: hyper

[*] posted on 26-10-2008 at 20:02
OTC ethly alc.

I want to make a small amount of ethyl bromide. I could buy it and wait for delivery, or distill some 151 rum, or could I use the denatured from the hardware store? If so would I have to purify it?(maybe with Naoh and distill?) Thank you.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 26-10-2008 at 20:31

The sort of denatured alcohol you are likely to find in a hardware store will likely to contain lots of ketones, like acetone and MEK, and I would not recommend having to deal with the brominated derivatives of those.

Why not buy strong potable alcohol, like 151 rum or Everclear (75% and 95% respectively) ? You can easily distill the 151 Bacardi to 95%, while the Everclear or Diesel are ready to use.

Whether you can buy these depends on where you are as some US states prohibit the 95% spirits and others may block even the 151 rum. Also I am assuming you are 21+.

I'm sure I needn't remind you that ethyl bromide is extremely volatile and flammable so chill that receiving flask well.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
kclo4
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-10-2008 at 20:35

Isn't this question is more suited for the Short Question Thread>

Denatured Alcohol is likely to have methanol in it as well as other crap. Distillation will take out the other crap but methanol will still be present. This means Methyl Bromide will be produced when you produce your Ethyl Bromide. That is, If you choose to use Denatured Alcohol.

Pros: The alcohol is cheap
Cons: takes time to distill, purify, and also will waist your bromides, as well as produce Methyl Bromide gas. I think that it is pretty toxic!

Edit: depends on what sort of denatured alcohol you get I guess? according to the post above, they also contain ketones, etc. I did not know this.

[Edited on 26-10-2008 by kclo4]
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 27-10-2008 at 02:52

The US (ATFE) has a number of officially approved formulations for denatured alcohol, several of which you can read about in Merck Index and all of which you can get details about from AYFE online or via CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) again online.

Other countries have other formulations. ALl of these vary widely.

Most such formulations are specifically designed to be nearly impossible to purify economically to render them potable once again.

Potable spirits contain congeners such as ethyl acetate, acetone, acetic acid, furfural, and many others but usually to low ppm levels. Vodkas are often the purest (neutral spirits.) But you won't likely find vodka bottled at over 40-50% by volume so you will need a very good still to get that to 95% in one pass.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.

Go To Top