Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: nitrating
Mr.O-Nitrate
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 26-11-2003 at 16:03
nitrating

What makes a substance a cannidate for nitrating?(with HNO3 and H2SO4)

What about wood carbon? could that be nitrated?
Mr.O-Nitrate
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-11-2003 at 19:56
OH

Can you nitrate somthing without the OH group?
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 29-11-2003 at 20:11

To answer the second question first, a substance does not require a Hydroxy group to be nitrated. The best example I can think of is Toluene, which as you know, can be nitrated to Mono-, Di-, an Trinitrotoluene.

Another example is the formation of 1,1,2,2-Tetrachloro-1,2-Dinitroethane by reacting 1,1,2,2-Tetrachloroethene with N2O5 (look these molecules up on Chemfinder.com, if you have to, to get an idea of their structures). No, it's not straight Nitric Acid, but the effect is the same in that it is a Nitration. This molecule does not contain a Hydroxy group either.

I imagine that any substance (save for those that are very unreactive, e.g. Noble gases), can have a Nitro- group thrown onto it. Hell, any molecule you can imagine, in theory, can be made. The big question, particularly as it relates to explosives, is safety (of course, we can't forget other things like practicality, availability of precursors, etc.).

But, good question-- what DOES make a substance a good candidate to be nitrated?? Were explosives made by first imagining a final, super-energetic compound, and THEN trying to synthesize it? Or by nitrating whatever was around, and seeing what happened? My guess is, probably a little bit of both, considering many advancements in the area of explosives were made in the 19th century-- a time when most chemists were wealthy amateurs with time to spare. And, as we all know, the amateur is a adventurous and creative :) .

In this respect, I'm sure the various Cellulose molecules or other Carbon compounds in wood could, in fact, be nitrated. It may not involve the straight forward H2SO4/HNO3 route, but it most certainly could be done, should an adventurous amateur be willing to do it.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 29-11-2003 at 22:57

A while ago i read that sawdust could be nitrated to nitrocellulose (i think it was in "the blasters training manual";). i think, that when sawdust is nitrated, you would get a finer more powdery product than in the nitration of cotton balls or TP due to it not being in strand form before the nitration. Has anyone tried this or has the knowledge to shoot my little theory down
:( :D
JDP
Harmless

Mood: |:booM

[*] posted on 30-11-2003 at 00:27
Yep.

I have nitrated sawdust befor with moderately good results. The nitrated product burned alot like Nitro-Starch, but Nitro sawdust seems to burn much hotter. It does produse a nice fine product. Not to mention that saw dust is vertually free.:D

[Edited on 30-11-2003 by JDP]

~JDP
Mr.O-Nitrate
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-11-2003 at 09:00
cool

I just might try that.

As for the wood carbon, I dont think I will try that unless it has been tryed and synthized.

But, If nobodys made it before then you just created an all new explosive!
guaguanco
Hazard to Others

Mood: heterocyclic

[*] posted on 1-12-2003 at 23:00

If a compound is prone to electrophilic substitution, it's a good candidate. It's the
NO2+ cation that is the active agent. So a compound like phenol (with relatively high electron density at the 2,4,6 positions) is easily nitrated to form picric acid, whereas something like the pyridinum ion (pyridine in acid solution) requires more forcing conditions. Since nitric acid is also a good oxidizer, it can also remove labile hydrogen atoms on things like acetic anhydride to ultimately form tetranitromethane.
Since nitrate esters are relatively stable, almost any compound with unhindered -OH groups is a candidate, although you get competing oxidation reactions that can get very violent if you don't control the temperature.

[Edited on 2-12-2003 by guaguanco]
KABOOOM(pyrojustforfun)
Hazard to Others

Mood: exuviating!

[*] posted on 3-12-2003 at 06:55

generally, wood consists of:
67-80% holocellulose: it's the entire water-insoluble carbohydrate fraction of wood which is composed of alpha-cellulose and hemicelluloseand other hexosan and pentosan polymers. these all are good candidates for nitration.
17-18% lignin: a phenylpropene polymer of amorphous structure. may form polynitroaromatic compounds. if the c-c bond tears, various explosives can form including picric acid (atleast I know TNP is one of the nitration products of wood)
low percentages of resines (carboxylic acids, essential oils ... not interesting at all), terpenes (runaway reactions?), aldehydes (are oxidysed to corresponding carboxylic acids liberating NO<sub>x</sub> which may cause runaway reactions) sugars (form explosive nitric esters),ketones (form weak explosives. IIRC these are unstable) water (obviously degrades the mixed acid), inorganic materials eg potassium compounds (don't have serious effects on nitration)

Go To Top