Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I STOLE a chiller today...
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 18-11-2008 at 18:16
I STOLE a chiller today...

Found a chiller today, its a Rubbermaid 1/2 Hp chiller with pump and all that good shiznit, NIB for $600. Guy was nice and threw in a whopping 7 gallons of unopened propylene glycol to sweeten the deal. :D

Believe it or not the chiller came from a foodservice company's failed project. Basically they were attempting to use chillers to cool food bins for like buffets and stuff, but didn't have enough sense to run them all in parallel... essentially one end would be frosty, the other end would be too warm to pass NSF standards.

The chiller itself is made by polyscience, I dunno the exact model number but its one of the 6000 series. Its supposed to have 750W of cooling power @ 0ºC with .1 ºC accuracy on the temp setting. The thing's a beast... weighs in at like 190lbs when the resevoir is full.

Pics to come as soon as I get home and unload them off my cam.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
kclo4
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-11-2008 at 18:30

Great find! I'm excited to see what it looks like, since I'm not exactly sure what one is. :/ I have to say, I'm pretty jealous of all the things you seem to have, and are getting.
To me at least, that's amazing that they would bother to make it .1 ºC accurate. I suppose I can see what that could be used for (freezing out Isomers, perhaps?) it just seems like it would be very difficult. How cold can it get do you think?
evil_lurker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-11-2008 at 19:45

Well it looks like the unit has been used due to the rust on the pump in the third pic... and there are some stains where the drains were, but overall it looks like the thing hasn't seen very much use at all... its way to clean.

My guess is they took it out, hooked it up to see if it would work, then shoved it in the box and used one chiller for all their testing.

[Edited on 18-11-2008 by evil_lurker]

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 19-11-2008 at 00:50

Ironic to photograph it next to a salamander :D

Nice deal.

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
evil_lurker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2008 at 08:46

Yeah it is.

Have to, that damn shipping container gets freaking cold at night when the temps dip down 5 degrees below zero.

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 19-11-2008 at 18:38

I love it when we can get these kinds of deals:- good job!

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
undead_alchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Tired, Cleaning up corporate messes at work!

[*] posted on 19-11-2008 at 22:51

I am planning on building something like that from scratch. I have all the refrigeration parts laying around, I even have a 20,000 BTU compressor if I wanted to make an extra large system.

*20k BTU unit is 240v at 9 amps if I remember right*

When I do, I will post pics.

I think that all I need to get is a pump, tank, and a controller.
I have a few sick ideas for the controller though.
remote control via Ethernet. :P

Go To Top