Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: One EM to rule them all...
stygian
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-8-2009 at 05:26

does ammonium picrate stain like the acid? I think I've read (or perhaps im delirious) that it can exist in some kind of nitronate form as well.
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 07:19

How about black powder?
The easiest to make, all the components exist within nature, and it has uses beyond explosives - if all other energetic materials stopped working then all the suggestions made so far would mean that guns, fireworks, fuse, etc would be rendered useless.

Based on Wiki's definition of 'Energetic Material' though, I might go for diesel as I'm yet to see an engine that works on Picric Acid and it's a far better fuel than electricity (sadly :( ).

'Energetic materials are a class of material with high amount of stored chemical energy that can be released.[1]
Typical classes of energetic materials are e.g. explosives, pyrotechnic compositions, propellants (e.g. smokeless gunpowders and rocket fuels), and fuels (e.g. diesel fuel and gasoline).'
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 16:35

Well, I see the point of picric acid as it pertains to the OP. Being an active substituted phenol makes for a plethora of energetic derivatives. If not at least some interesting fuels. It was reading about picric acid, picramic acid and DNAP that helped me to understand aromatic chemistry!

Not to downplay nitric ester though. They are generally not corrosive and easy to initiate. Most are liquids so they can't be compressed unless absorbed into an inert matrix. Mercury fulminate would be a nice PE because of ease of preparation, but mercury metal and mercury switched are getting harder to find. I guess it might be easier to find it in South America or the Easternblock countries of Europe depending on what side of the globe your in. But no mercury on airplanes!!:o:o

Fellow molecular manipulator
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

Mood: 220 221 whatever it takes

[*] posted on 9-12-2013 at 16:03

What about the best one given a certain quantity of nitrate precursor? As if the world's production of NaNO3 (or _NO3) came to a halt and all you had was that 500g bottle still on your shelf, with no hope to resupply. Which EM would you go with? I know application of the material counts for a lot (shape, density, etc), but what's your opinion.
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-12-2013 at 16:11

i will keep LX-19...

Dany.
Trotsky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-12-2013 at 23:58

I vote for ETN. Why? It's easily detonated, so we don't have to worry about how we'll detonate it, it has a very small critical diameter, is easily synthesized and reasonably powerful. It can be used in detcord or pressed bricks. Unlike NG I don't have to worry about it blowing up unexpectedly when it freezes, because it's already frozen. It can be desensitized with PBX and used as a plastique of sorts.

For the entire world though? I'd go with black powder. It can be used as rocket fuel, it can be used in bullets, a large enough block can be used as an industrial explosive. It's probably the most versatile.

[Edited on 10-12-2013 by Trotsky]
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 17:43

But could you get enough ETN out of that 500g to make it worth it?
Trotsky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 19:54

I wasn't concerned with that pointless limitation but the OP. Otherwise you'd just be looking for the most powerful.
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-12-2013 at 22:20

Powerful is a nice measure, but in the classic case of PETN v. RDX, while having similar power, I could put together around 150% more charges of similar effect by going with PETN (2:1 lbs nitric acid: lbs PETN v. 5:1 lbs nitric acid: lbs RDX). Can CL-20 deliver more efficacy with less nitrate inputs or could black powder charges deliver more efficacy because of less processing of the nitrate?
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 14-12-2013 at 12:46

Quote:
Can CL-20 deliver more efficacy with less nitrate inputs or could black powder charges deliver more efficacy because of less processing of the nitrate?

Black powder does not explode ─ it deflagrates!
Cl-20 (HNIW) contains six nitramine groups, a higher density and better OB than HMX, which makes it more powerful and brisant than most other HEs!

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
Solomon
Hazard to Self

Mood: FOR SCIENCE!

[*] posted on 15-12-2013 at 23:44

I would probably keep cl-20.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top