Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Can we travel back in time really?
Antineutron
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-12-2018 at 08:04
Can we travel back in time really?

I watched 10 scifi movies that say we can. I think those scifi could be real. Please do not reply to this post if you are negative thinker, and if you intend to give me reason why it would not work. I want answers from believers.

I already combed through wikipedia, and read about principles like relativity, time travel, grandfather paradox, wormhole and various experiments.

Basically reason why i believe that we can change past is because of relativity. I imagine that like this: "Can you be aware that two people are in love?", "Can you prove it?", "Can you feel somebody's feelings?". "Of course not!"

Meaning love is only relative thing, felt only in some rare people's hearts. And I heard that time is relative too! Like that time dilation principle. We see clocks relatively, so maybe our present is not so real, but exists only in eyes or brains. Can we change that? Can we see something else?

Also I think we can avoid death by always going into past. There could be many other benefits. Please do not tell it is not proven. Well, you can't prove that somebody dreamed something, but you they really did.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 24-12-2018 at 08:17

Quote: Originally posted by Antineutron  
Please do not reply to this post if you are negative thinker, and if you intend to give me reason why it would not work. I want answers from believers.

Lovely, creating your own little bubble. This is a scientific forum where we discuss in a scientific way. You can't, or you can but it won't work, ask not to get certain responses.
Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

[*] posted on 24-12-2018 at 08:21

So you only want answers by "believers" who will tell you its real? What if they're wrong? Part of science is accepting that your idea might be wrong.

Is it really possible? I have no idea. But if it is, I don't think anyone will figure it out in our lifetime. All the ways they do it in sci-fi movies are pretend, and don't work at all.

The fact you are asking a question without being open to both answers (yes or no) means this could end up in detritus, even if it's a real question, and not just meant to fuck with us as you sometimes do.

Again, the answer is nobody knows how to do it right now. Nobody knows if they can find a way in the future. But for now, you definitely can't do it.

[Edited on 24-12-2018 by Vomaturge]
Antineutron
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-12-2018 at 08:41

Well, what if I or somebody discovers it? Let's discover! I don't like lacking ability to change past or avoid death.
Let's start from thinking, first we plan, then we make something, of course. Basically I think it's easy but because of bad luck nobody discovered so far.
I think we are missing some knowledge, parameter, device, law, principle that would enable us to do that.
Just because you are not aware of something does not mean it does not exist.
I mean I could as well say "gonna hang myself because i am not happy that i can't travel in time". That would be sick.
Tell me something I like to hear. I wanna good feeling. How to go to heaven? I am not interested in hell!
I am not looking for boredom or sadness or disease or anger or feeling lack of something. Be more interesting! Be happy!
"Whether you think you can or can't do something, you are right". So think you can! You must believe first!
Additional reason why I think we can is because of those particle accelerators, we can make any particles, including massless, right? Hell, we can even make photons with ordinary lights! Let's hack photons!
Don't you feel like your life is pathetic because you will only live once, and you don't know how to change past or avoid death? Are not we supposed to be interested in that? Become interested now!
Another reason why I think we can is existence of optical illusions, and math tricks (i call it mental illusions).
Not to talk about negative stuff like psychosis, hallucinations, ghosts, devils, black magic, ordinary magic...
I believe that time is relative OK? Speed of light is relative, OK? Maybe we can change some constant so time thinks it is different? To force it to behave differently?
You know, pressure and temperature are relative too. We can do it! Let's think...
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 24-12-2018 at 10:08

Merry Christmas PHD.
sodium_stearate
Hazard to Others

Mood: No mask.

[*] posted on 24-12-2018 at 11:14

Yeah. It's possible.

I jump into my time machine frequently and go
back to any one of several different eras.

I can instantly go back to 1908 and run a fancy
wooden electric interurban car down the rails.

Steam railroading is also accessible to those
who want it bad enough, along with many other
things long gone from the mainstream.

The method of construction of your own personal time machine
is not intuitively obvious. Nope, you cannot ever hope
to catch up with old photons.:D

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and it
looks like work" T.A. Edison
morganbw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-12-2018 at 15:34

I am fairly confident that I am able to travel forward in time. Abiet slowly but it has worked pretty consistently but I have not been able to figure out how far into the future I may travel.

I haven't really looked into going back in time, some of my memories there, sucked somewhat.
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 24-12-2018 at 15:36

I think the real question is "may we?"

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-12-2018 at 18:36

@PhD ur repeated reappearances had already made this forum go back in time.

[Edited on 181225 by fusso]

Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-12-2018 at 06:36

You need Plutonium.
GrayGhost-
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-12-2018 at 06:57

You are using matter (atoms and molecules) of other living and non-living beings (animals, plants, people and mining and organic objects) you could have in your body water molecules of a Roman soldier, if you go back someone should disappear the Roman soldier or you. Apart from the time it does not pass, we pass in time as an ephemeral spark, the evolution of the universe is ephemeral for time. The time we measure is just a comparison of ephemeral events within the infinite time. The disintegration of a radioactive isotope in nanoseconds is the same as the cellular degradation of your body in 75 years or the evolution of Pangea in millions of years. It is as if the whole universe were a fish tank where slow and fast events occur where we compare them to each other and that fish tank was in an infinitely large and empty universe called time. T = 0

Physical events and chemical reactions occur inside that pseudo-time tank. example every second elapsed you should rearrange the matter as it was a second ago in the whole universe to the point in question. If you cut a tree you should unite its cells, if you break a glass you should join the molecules of the glass, avoid the aging of cells therefore They would not react with oxygen and nutrients and would not live. Then traveling in time is ridiculous.

[Edited on 25-12-2018 by GrayGhost-]
Antineutron
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-12-2018 at 07:45

Well, I didn't say that you have to say YES WE CAN. I would like not to her NO WE CAN'T because I don't like rejection, death, negotiation, leaving, disintegration and other sad things associated with bad stuff. Just imagine how many guys performed suicide because they were rejected by girls. They didn't like word NO. I mean word NO gives me anger and other bad feelings. Just wanna feel good. Imagine doctor tells you "no, we can't cure you, you're gonna die" or somebody rejects you from job/school/group "sorry, you are not accepted". That are not good news. I can't like it. Sorry.

Feel free to be open or neutral. Or if you wanna say NO, please explain in full detail, and consider all possibilities, dimensions, laws, religions, etc. How can you be so sure that we can't? Did you experience death, went to universe, etc?

Here are additional reasons why I believe we can, but are not smart or conscious enough.
We live in universe, not in some box or unlimited space or ball. Remember, our planet is just one ball in who knows what.
Nobody figured out why magnetism exists. Why our planet has magnetic fields like north and south?
All planets, stars, moons aka satellites are moving, we are not some stable area that just exists there and is peaceful.
Nobody told us how death looks like, do we cease to exist or become ghosts or reborn?
Nobody was able to read other people's dreams, not to even consider to verify are they just imagination or travel somewhere?

Then how do you explain that at top and bottom of planet time passes more quickly? Is that because that places are bit into future, or we who live around equator are bit into past? What is truth?

Then why we are able to modify half-life by changing temperature etc?
Is it not suspicious to you that stable elements do not exist? But all for some reason decay, some more quickly.

What about changing time in only one place like some box or body? I don't have to affect all people lives maybe.
I think it is possible on energy level, instead of material. Meaning we have to reverse nuclear reactions, do something extreme a bit. I still don't get that time dilation principle where they say that two different clocks were really different? I mean I read it but like I am missing something to figure it out. Maybe we think the wrong way? Is it even true? Is time even passing differently on sides far from equator? Is it only in our eyes or really?

Let's be open to any possibility, and if somebody discovers something, post here please!
I think I am onto something, but it is still too early to say anything. I feel we can change past. Of course according to current theories it is easier to change future.

Here are some possibilities:
- figure out why we have magnetism on our planet (what makes compasses work in nature), then destroy it
- figure out why our planet is moving and rotating, and stop it

Don't you feel like it has to do something with magnetism and rotation and moving? Just imagine how much stuff is affected by gravity. There are too many secrets in universe and even in planet. Why can nobody see core of planet? Is there some clock or something that would make us go insane?!

I mean even if nothing is proven yet, or if I am giving useless talk, let's be honest, we should be open to any possibility, because there is way too much undiscovered stuff, that we can say we are too stupid!

I mean they already said it works like for that man who was in space and became younger when he returned to our planet, by few ms. Still can't get it, can only read it. Or those two airplanes having different time...can't get it.

Don't you believe in reversibility? I noticed that even nuclear reactions are reversible. So time should be. But maybe we think of time wrongly, it's definition is not good enough, so we can't define what is opposite of time passing. If I could just think what is time and what is opposite? I know it's not easy to figure out, but maybe its not difficult either. Its impossible because we need different way of thinking. Let's try something.

[Edited on 25-12-2018 by Antineutron]
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 25-12-2018 at 11:14

Quote: Originally posted by Antineutron  
Still can't get it

Then you need to read a bit more about General Relativity. Some of the math is pretty impossible for us mortals, but the basic principles are much easier to understand. Mainly because it's not really something to "get" or understand, you just have to accept that it's true.

But it's great to see others giving time travel a go. We're having a meeting last thursday, let me know if you're planning to attend.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
beerwiz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-12-2018 at 20:03

Quote: Originally posted by mayko  
I think the real question is "may we?"

Mayko has the best answer, short and to the point. It is possible to travel back in time, but you need permission from the higher powers to do that.

r0749547
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-12-2018 at 12:00

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Rogers  
You need Plutonium.

To get the 1.21 Jigowatts of power.
But where do we get a flux capacitor? :P
Assured Fish
Hazard to Others

Mood: Misanthropic

[*] posted on 29-12-2018 at 16:17

How the hell is this thread still here, are the mods on holiday or are they just feeling anarchistic?
Fuck it, lets roll in the mud with the other piggies :P

We almost certainly probably most definitely cannot travel back in time, for reasons that we do not know and might not ever know.
However i rather like Neil Degrasse Tyson's take on this, in that we will likely find a rule or law at some point that would prohibit us from doing so. You could take this even further and say "perhaps it is that our current understanding of the nature of time is flawed, and to call it going backwards at all is just a misunderstanding of the true nature of things".

I suppose, if we want to look at it logically (there is nothing logical about this), time and space are (for lack of better terminology) one in the same, as we move through space we also traverse time at an accelerated rate (again a lack of better terminology).
So logically, all we have to do to travel backwards through time is travel through negative space.

The only way i would presume we could do this is with a worm hole, assuming worm holes are a thing, also this would mean that you would have matter moving both ways through the worm hole (problems).
Nobody has ever known how to make a worm hole, nobody even knows if they can exist. This kind of knowledge is far out of the reach of anyone alive today, it is rather foolish to attempt to even try but i suppose the worse thing to happen if you did would be that you learned some valuable lessons on physics.

Look, there really is no point to trying to do this or even think about it with any conviction, my advise would be to focus on researching and studying the nature of the known first and then find the many millions of gaps people have left behind in their wake and filling those.
This would allow any future generations to gain a broader and more complete picture, so that maybe perhaps they may figure out why we can or most likely cannot travel backwards through time.

Sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from madness.
GrayGhost-
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-12-2018 at 17:17

If you today 12-29-2018 take each atom and rearrange it as in 1780, reliving every living being, person, Napoleon Bonaparte and his army, animal, plant, bacteria, the same meteorological, geological and astronomical conditions same energy conditions of the sun , earth, universe. All the same, would you be in 1780 or 2018? You will disappear to donate your atoms, the current people and all the current technology to build that past.
1) It would not be a trip but a reversal.
2) If you can travel the mere fact of interfering with the "past" would affect the development of the future and be paradoxical.
3) time does not pass only there are changes that we compare with other changes in units of time.
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2018 at 03:08

Until recently (last 30 years) there was no scientific principal, law or theory that would be violated or excluded travel back in time. It simple required a rout or path in Space Time where the starting point was at the present time and ending point was at a previous time. The reverse of time travel into the future caused by velocity or gravity/acceleration. It was believed that such a path to the past would exist near a very dense and rapidly rotating large mass. (see previous thread on this topic or wiki)
However Stephen Hawking mathematically proved that given what we presently know about the geometry of space time and physics a path to the past in space time is impossible.

So for four dimensional geometry challenged readers, similar to myself, time travel into the past is impossible because Stephen Hawking said so.

Time travel in to the past will have to wait until, if ever, we discover new properties of space time or physics.

Perhaps the OP should swot up (a lot) on maths and physics and try to prove Hawking wrong.

[Edited on 30-12-2018 by wg48temp9]
BOBardment
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-12-2018 at 08:04

It was never "can we do it", it's "should we even bother to try".
Changing time can cause such dramatic change to the present and future that it simply shouldn't be done, yet.
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 30-12-2018 at 10:35

Here's a thought I always have when reading discussions on this topic, but never see mentioned:

When people say they want to 'travel back in time', what they actually mean is for the entire universe to travel back in time, while they themselves stay just the way they are.

Literally, if just YOU were to travel back in time, you'll become a baby again, and the universe goes on to move forward in time.

Otherwise, 'PhD', if it is indeed you, even though your trolling is usually somewhat annoying, I've found it amusing as well sometimes during the year and it has even sparked interesting discussions. Don't take this as encouragement, but I still prefer it a 1000 times over spam. I'd never think I'd say it but I think you've become some kind of part of the forum. Part of the furniture so to speak. Anyway, best wishes for the new year.

[Edited on 30-12-2018 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2018 at 10:57

I will pay $100,000,000 cash to anyone who can present me with a machine capable of taking me and my gold into the past of my choice (where I can buy share certificates and properties) and bring me back to the present unharmed,
after which I will pay you your reward.

For a fully working TARDIS I will pay $1,000,000,000

Note : this is a limited offer, only submissions received before yesterday are eligible.

[Edited on 26-12-2018 by Sulaiman]

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2018 at 16:29

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
I will pay $100,000,000 cash to anyone who can present me with a machine capable of taking me and my gold into the past of my choice (where I can buy share certificates and properties) and bring me back to the present unharmed,
after which I will pay you your reward.

For a fully working TARDIS I will pay $1,000,000,000

Note : this is a limited offer, only submissions received before yesterday are eligible.

[Edited on 26-12-2018 by Sulaiman]

Only one billion for a fully working go anywhere anytime Tardis. It cost 24 billion for the US to go to just moon. You must be a cheapskate LOL.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 30-12-2018 at 16:55

What really aggravates me about the notion of time travel is the grandfather paradox. When you travel back in time to shoot your grandfather, if anything, you're creating two split timelines, one of which (from your perspective and only yours) loops backwards to the point of splitting and then continues along the other path. You don't stop existing because you shot your grandfather and prevented your own birth - the 'you' that would've existed in this timeline if this version of you hadn't done that is the one that ends up not existing. Meanwhile, you're stuck in 1940 without a home or job, the country is about to go to war, and nobody believes you when you say you're from the future and shouldn't even still exist. Have fun.

One of the funniest consequences of relativity is that, no matter how hard you try to escape it, life goes on. Your perspective is not the only one that matters, and it never will be.

[Edited on 12/31/2018 by elementcollector1]

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 30-12-2018 at 19:48

Lets assume that 'conservation of mass/energy' holds. It is impossible to travel through time as practical matter as it is a violation of the conservation of mass/energy. The amount of total matter in the universe would increase when you appeared in the past. This exclusion similarly holds for alternate timelines.

We can say for certainty that if the conservation of mass/energy is absolute then time travel as envisioned is impossible.

We can also say with certainty that if it does not hold true then the universe will increase in total mass/energy over time, eventually leading to a big crunch which seems to be the opposite of what we are observing today.
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 31-12-2018 at 06:33

I have started to look skeptically at this time travel thing. People have calculated and used it practice small deviations of time in orbits of earth because of different speeds and gravity. They also fix paradoxes with forking of timeline, but then I got this question - if satellite travels few nanoseconds in time, why does the timeline does not fork? Does forking have some benchmark, when it happens? Seems very unlikely..

But this might just be travelling slower in time, not backwards.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top