Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Can we travel back in time really?
lordcookies24
Hazard to Self

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 3-1-2019 at 06:23

The op pisses me off, he watched a bunch of sci-fi movie and now you want to have your fantasy supported but only supported. You refuse to have the evidence that burst your bubbles but will accept the one one that will support your claim. The truth is the truth and cannot be bent to your liking. This forum is for science.

Entropy, the second law of thermodynamics, is also known as "the arrow of time", it can increase but it cannot decreased. Meaning that time only goes forward. I don't think we will find a way to reverse or accelerate the entropy of a closed system anytime soon

But I think forward time travel is possible since it does not reverse the arrow of time which is suppose to only go forward, don't take this seriously tho I didn't do much research

edit: added info about forward time travel

p.s. please correct me if i am wrong

[Edited on 3-1-2019 by lordcookies24]
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 3-1-2019 at 06:32

Quote: Originally posted by Antineutron  
I watched 10 scifi movies that say we can. I think those scifi could be real. Please do not reply to this post if you are negative thinker, and if you intend to give me reason why it would not work.

Could your FICTION be real? hmm... lol. Sci-Fi = Fiction - so by definition made up.

Quote: Originally posted by lordcookies24  
The op pisses me off, he watched a bunch of sci-fi movie and now you want to have your fantasy supported but only supported. You refuse to have the evidence that burst your bubbles but will accept the one one that will support your claim. The truth is the truth and cannot be bent to your liking. This forum is for science.

Although I agree with you I think the OP is just trolling and fishing for bites.... Someone else already said that he is a sock puppet of a regular troll who tries to wind people up. He knows fiction isn't real he is just being a dick. :D

So - peace be with you - Happy New Year

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-1-2019 at 08:52

Good lord just kill this thread already. It's posted by a known troll, has generated nothing of value, and isn't even chemistry related.
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2019 at 09:37

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
Good lord just kill this thread already. It's posted by a known troll, has generated nothing of value, and isn't even chemistry related.
Best to be deleted completely, not just put in detritus, to free up precious server space.

morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2019 at 10:45

What I believe and what others believe really has no merit in answering the OP's question.
There does happen to be men of science who actually study this and have somewhat differing beliefs.

This thread may belong in detritus, not my call.

I do not believe personally that we are able to travel back in time.
My statement is a belief, which is based on science, as I know it.

I think that perhaps the word improbable is more correct than the word impossible.

DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 03:10

Quote: Originally posted by morganbw  

I do not believe personally that we are able to travel back in time.
My statement is a belief, which is based on science, as I know it.

I think that perhaps the word improbable is more correct than the word impossible.

I tend to agree. It is an interesting subject though (regardless of the OPs agenda).

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
and isn't even chemistry related.

Does it need to be chemistry related? I though the site was 'Science'... which covers a lot more than amateur chemistry. There are pure 'Chemistry' sites out there if you'd prefer the discussion to be solely about chemistry.. Regardless of the OPs agenda it is still an interesting subject.... separating Science Fiction from reality.

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 04:17

Can we go back in time?

Well, this guy has done it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6rVHr6OwjI

Warning:
Insanely clever and extremely entertaining.
The making of video is well worth watching too. Poor guy's brain was fried by the end of it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54nAOaEe_Fw
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 05:01

Quote: Originally posted by r0749547  
Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Rogers  
You need Plutonium.

To get the 1.21 Jigowatts of power.
But where do we get a flux capacitor? :P

I left one in the drawer next to the Dilithium injectors.

But that wont help if your Plutonium has been polarized.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 08:06

Quote: Originally posted by TheMrbunGee  
I have started to look skeptically at this time travel thing. People have calculated and used it practice small deviations of time in orbits of earth because of different speeds and gravity. They also fix paradoxes with forking of timeline, but then I got this question - if satellite travels few nanoseconds in time, why does the timeline does not fork? Does forking have some benchmark, when it happens? Seems very unlikely..

But this might just be travelling slower in time, not backwards.

So definitely imperfect time travel exists!

On a long space voyage, assuming you make it back, everyone on earth ages much more than you.

So, in essence, when (if) you return, you have leaped forward into the future, albeit you are older than when you started!

Enjoy, as I really suspect prolong radiation exposure in space likely greatly reduces your longevity!

[Edited on 5-1-2019 by AJKOER]
Assured Fish
Hazard to Others

Mood: Misanthropic

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 18:36

I have serious issues with putting time and entropy in the same basket.
Mostly because i think people have forgotten what a rather important part of entropy and specifically the part: "The entropy of a system can never decrease".
The actual way of saying this correctly is "The entropy of a closed system can never decrease". (im also certain this rule is vastly out-dated)

The universe is not a closed system so how one could equate time or our universe abiding by this rule is beyond me.
Im fairly sure the reason the law is written this way, is because outside of a closed system there are far too many exceptions to it for it to have any meaningful consequences.

I think the only way to make the entropic time idea work would be if you could somehow rationalize that our universe is somehow closed.
Though even then, the size of our universe makes it rather impossible for it to justifiably be called closed, given that there are objects in our universe that can never and will never interact with each other, so much so that they might as well be part of different systems (if that makes sense).

Im not saying this entropy law is obsolete, much like newtons laws they still work very well when applied correctly, its just they are missing rather crucial pieces of information, such as quantum mechanics.
We already know from quantum mechanics that the laws that govern the large do not govern the small, so it wouldn't be too great of an assumption to suggest that the laws within a smaller system like a test tube or beaker do not apply to the universe as a whole.

Ive somewhat forgotten what the point of that paragraph was but anyway, my overall point is that it would be a huge mistake indeed for us to say that we cannot travel backwards in time because our current laws say so.
Because they don't say so.

Sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from madness.
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 19:14

Also I think we can avoid death by always going into past.

Back in WWII, a certain airman Dunbar can up with a way to extend his life as he experienced it.

He realized that boring things seem to last longer, so he cultivated ennui to make his life last longer from his own frame of reference.

He'd lie stock-still in bed staring at the ceiling much of the time, and would otherwise pass his time in studying sundry stultifying subjects.

Unfortunately, the solution he came up with would have had huge negative effects on the war effort had it been widely adopted by the airmen on the tiny island where he was posted.

It would truly have been a black eye for the camp commander had this happened, so Dunbar was disappeared. And so neatly that it ended up being a real feather in the commander's cap; earning him much credit with the man who ran the mimeograph machine at SHAEF.

SelfInflicted
Harmless

Mood: ?

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 19:42

I do believe you can view the past. How far in the past you wish to view depends on the power of your telescope.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 5-1-2019 at 17:20

Quote: Originally posted by Assured Fish  
I have serious issues with putting time and entropy in the same basket.
<snip>

The universe is not a closed system.

As far as I understand it, the mathematics used to describe time/space are symmetric -- which leads to the hypothesis that reverse travel through time is possible. We can extrapolate the physics of motion forward as easily as we can backwards.

The exception of course is that entropy increases in the forward direction of time. One definition for the positive direction of time is the direction in which entropy increases.

The question of whether the universe as a whole is a closed system is besides the point. That does not affect the definition.
BOBardment
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-1-2019 at 19:27

Assuming we can, assuming we suddenly had a machine that can work flawlessly and achieve the type of time travel we all dreamed of without any complication or even energy consumption. Why would we ever do it? So you can cheat on a test? To provide current technology to people in the past? To help someone get that girl they failed to get?

I have met vast amount of people and conducted many thoughts experiments. (Or rather just simple questions with some in-depth thoughts)
And here is what I found interesting, almost everyone who wanted to travel back in time had no potential in life. Very few people wanted to do it just to create a paradox, which is understandable. All the others were people, or rather WEAKLINGS who can't do something on their own, and constantly hoped for a higher power to help them. To give them a chance to try something again, because they believed that they failed just because of bad luck. No, they failed because they suck and didn't deserve it. But they thought it was because some unfair advantage they didn't have, and that qualifies them to use an unfair advantage. The truth is, they are simply too stupid and deserved whatever failure they ended up with, they always thought "Only if I have done..." instead of "What I should be doing".
lordcookies24
Hazard to Self

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 13:22

Quote: Originally posted by BOBardment  
Assuming we can, assuming we suddenly had a machine that can work flawlessly and achieve the type of time travel we all dreamed of without any complication or even energy consumption. Why would we ever do it? So you can cheat on a test? To provide current technology to people in the past? To help someone get that girl they failed to get?

I have met vast amount of people and conducted many thoughts experiments. (Or rather just simple questions with some in-depth thoughts)
And here is what I found interesting, almost everyone who wanted to travel back in time had no potential in life. Very few people wanted to do it just to create a paradox, which is understandable. All the others were people, or rather WEAKLINGS who can't do something on their own, and constantly hoped for a higher power to help them. To give them a chance to try something again, because they believed that they failed just because of bad luck. No, they failed because they suck and didn't deserve it. But they thought it was because some unfair advantage they didn't have, and that qualifies them to use an unfair advantage. The truth is, they are simply too stupid and deserved whatever failure they ended up with, they always thought "Only if I have done..." instead of "What I should be doing".

you must be a hit at parties

Antiproton
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-1-2019 at 06:12

BOBardment: It can be true, but can also be false. You can't be so sure, make conclusions.
It's similar to saying "those who want to chase chemistry have no potential in life, they are failures"

For example to prevent suicides, homicides, terrorist attacks, damaged devices. That sounds like huge potential in life!
If you are not motivated to go back in time, then you have no reason to live.

And I believe it is possible, the last reference I found is:
- Stephen Hawking thinks that universe is "locked" so we can't hack it, even if you believe we can travel in time, because various offsets would cancel each other, measured quantitatively
- if I can find thought to beat Stephen Hawking theoretically, it's very likely, i will be able to do it practically, maybe he would beat himself alone, but he died still thinking, there is not the end
- if we can travel faster than speed of light we can go back in time
- we don't have to go back in time using our bodies, it can be using computers, radio waves, signals, to inform people in past to beware of dangers like terrorist attacks, diseases, traps, disasters, wrong doings
- there are lot of undiscovered secrets, and always will be, meaning we can discover something soon
- brain is inefficient, says Eckhart Tolle, we need to think less, but with more quality so something smart comes into head
Antiproton
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-1-2019 at 06:08

And I've been thinking is this some scifi, psychosis, fallacy, joke, or real possibility and came to conclusion.
If Albert Einstein's theory works for mass-energy equivalence (nuclear stuff), then why he would be lying about time travel.
Why would same scientist lie about one thing and tell truth about another thing?
I am convinced that we can travel in time. Just we have less knowledge than for nuclear stuff. Although everybody's knowledge is more personal. I can talk about my knowledge at least.
But these two are very related. Let's be honest, the other one is not anything less extreme, yet it works.
I remember myself 10 years ago when I did not believe in this stuff, but somehow the older I grow the more confidence I get.
Now my usual thinking about nuclear stuff is "Of course it works, there is nothing extraordinary, it is normal and even getting boring. Of course we can make any element from any elements, and remove radioactive waste, and get free energy without a doubt or problem. I feel confidence while telling this. There is no slightest doubt."
Yet I remember myself about 6 years ago when I just discovered it (something called isotopes that keeps appearing in wikipedia element pages). I was astonished, excited, reacted with "wow, i am smarter than anyone on this planet, gonna succeed, everybody else is stupid and poor, gonna be above them." There were many wow's in that few years, but it eventually becomes belief and habit. Eventually it becomes boring. It does not mean it is no worth it or does not work or that I really succeeded, but that we humans are born that way, to get bored once we get used to something, that is no longer considered extraordinary or new. One even more boring and more realistic realization that happened is that we can get all elements from soil, garbage, air, water, anything. No need to search for them somewhere. It was extreme in beginning too. Sounded like scifi. Yet I am 200% confident that it works. Even bored. Similar thing happened with any discovery, it first happens with excitement, extreme reaction, bragging, and that knowledge expands each month a bit, until you say "that is nothing extraordinary, of course it works, i can swear it works, nothing unusual to me".
Maybe it is just that in this moment my knowledge about time travel is same as was my knowledge about nuclear stuff 5 years ago, meaning in it's beginning phase, somewhere around 10%. But I have feeling that it works. And even if all humans are soon gonna know it, just like soon everybody is gonna use nuclear fusion as ordinary energy, everybody will get bored eventually, and avoiding death and becoming younger etc, will become our ordinary habit. Ordinary day. :P
BOBardment
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-1-2019 at 18:30

Quote: Originally posted by Antiproton  
BOBardment: It can be true, but can also be false. You can't be so sure, make conclusions.
It's similar to saying "those who want to chase chemistry have no potential in life, they are failures"

For example to prevent suicides, homicides, terrorist attacks, damaged devices. That sounds like huge potential in life!
If you are not motivated to go back in time, then you have no reason to live.

And I believe it is possible, the last reference I found is:
- Stephen Hawking thinks that universe is "locked" so we can't hack it, even if you believe we can travel in time, because various offsets would cancel each other, measured quantitatively
- if I can find thought to beat Stephen Hawking theoretically, it's very likely, i will be able to do it practically, maybe he would beat himself alone, but he died still thinking, there is not the end
- if we can travel faster than speed of light we can go back in time
- we don't have to go back in time using our bodies, it can be using computers, radio waves, signals, to inform people in past to beware of dangers like terrorist attacks, diseases, traps, disasters, wrong doings
- there are lot of undiscovered secrets, and always will be, meaning we can discover something soon
- brain is inefficient, says Eckhart Tolle, we need to think less, but with more quality so something smart comes into head

"If I can beat Stephen Hawking theoreticall, it's very likely, I will be able to do it practically."
First of all... Why Hawking?...
Second, you can't.
Third, assuming you can do it theoretically, that doesn't give you the all clear for practical production. First of all, I assume you don't happen to have a couple billion USD sitting in your bank account with twenty major corporation CEO best buddies. Second of all, you will have pressure from competition. Then there is the fact that you didn't think about consequences at all because this is a BS thread.

Don't you think this is a lot of work to change something small like stopping terrorist attacks? Keep in mind 911 only happened once so you really ain't getting that much out of that machine.

Assuming you stopped the 911, what happens now? No one would remember the event, you have to remember a different god damned emergency phone number. A different event would replace its place because media need something to write about and the government need something to remind people:"Look at this, we are so great at our jobs this only happened once!"
BOBardment
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-1-2019 at 19:05

Quote: Originally posted by Antiproton  
And I've been thinking is this some scifi, psychosis, fallacy, joke, or real possibility and came to conclusion.
If Albert Einstein's theory works for mass-energy equivalence (nuclear stuff), then why he would be lying about time travel.
Why would same scientist lie about one thing and tell truth about another thing?
I am convinced that we can travel in time. Just we have less knowledge than for nuclear stuff. Although everybody's knowledge is more personal. I can talk about my knowledge at least.
But these two are very related. Let's be honest, the other one is not anything less extreme, yet it works.
I remember myself 10 years ago when I did not believe in this stuff, but somehow the older I grow the more confidence I get.
Now my usual thinking about nuclear stuff is "Of course it works, there is nothing extraordinary, it is normal and even getting boring. Of course we can make any element from any elements, and remove radioactive waste, and get free energy without a doubt or problem. I feel confidence while telling this. There is no slightest doubt."
Yet I remember myself about 6 years ago when I just discovered it (something called isotopes that keeps appearing in wikipedia element pages). I was astonished, excited, reacted with "wow, i am smarter than anyone on this planet, gonna succeed, everybody else is stupid and poor, gonna be above them." There were many wow's in that few years, but it eventually becomes belief and habit. Eventually it becomes boring. It does not mean it is no worth it or does not work or that I really succeeded, but that we humans are born that way, to get bored once we get used to something, that is no longer considered extraordinary or new. One even more boring and more realistic realization that happened is that we can get all elements from soil, garbage, air, water, anything. No need to search for them somewhere. It was extreme in beginning too. Sounded like scifi. Yet I am 200% confident that it works. Even bored. Similar thing happened with any discovery, it first happens with excitement, extreme reaction, bragging, and that knowledge expands each month a bit, until you say "that is nothing extraordinary, of course it works, i can swear it works, nothing unusual to me".
Maybe it is just that in this moment my knowledge about time travel is same as was my knowledge about nuclear stuff 5 years ago, meaning in it's beginning phase, somewhere around 10%. But I have feeling that it works. And even if all humans are soon gonna know it, just like soon everybody is gonna use nuclear fusion as ordinary energy, everybody will get bored eventually, and avoiding death and becoming younger etc, will become our ordinary habit. Ordinary day. :P

You are not avoiding death with time travel, you are reliving a certain section of it. (This would be the desired outcome)
pneumatician
Hazard to Others

Mood: ■■■■■■■■■■ INRI ■■■■■■■■■■ ** Igne Natura Renovatur Integra **

[*] posted on 11-2-2019 at 17:12

Basically reason why i believe that we can change past is because of relativity.

Meaning love is only relative thing, felt only in some rare people's hearts. And I heard that time is relative too! Like that time dilation principle. We see clocks relatively, so maybe our present is not so real, but exists only in eyes or brains. Can we change that? Can we see something else?

Also I think we can avoid death by always going into past. There could be many other benefits. Please do not tell it is not proven. Well, you can't prove that somebody dreamed something, but you they really did.

IMHO you are mixing some big ones and avoiding others big ones like the human factor.

You can't change the past, this need a tremendous big amount of energy.

You can travel back in time, go outdoors at night and look starts :) now you are "traveling" back in time from some minutes to 1000's of years.

Time is like a film reel, you only see a frame, the actual frame, but past and future are in the reels.

well I think you want to travel with all your body "physically", for this you need to look in magnetism, light, maybe sound... something to desmaterialize you, jump in "time" and materialize again, or maybe create a bubble of no time (electromagnetic) and move in past or future like the time machine film.

you known the Philadelphia experiment?

Another kamikaze option is enter in Bermuda triangle, maybe you can return, maybe not. Other option is enter in popular portals, but to see a portal you need to extend your eyes vision a lot, or use electromagnetic sensors... the options are here for the seeker :)
sodium_stearate
Hazard to Others

Mood: No mask.

[*] posted on 11-2-2019 at 18:16
Chemistry

This is, after all, a chemistry forum.

On that note, I will offer the idea of taking some LSD.

That stuff alters your brain chemistry just enough
so that it allows you to think quite a bit differently
than what is considered normal.

So, quite possibly, there may be some interesting
insights about time, that can possibly be accessed
with the assistance of a little chemistry.:D

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and it
looks like work" T.A. Edison
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 05:36

Quote: Originally posted by sodium_stearate  
This is, after all, a chemistry forum.

On that note, I will offer the idea of taking some LSD.

That stuff alters your brain chemistry just enough
so that it allows you to think quite a bit differently
than what is considered normal.

LSD is not that mind altering, there are way more potent chems out there for that. It is hard to get that other point of view, but It depends on individual, I guess. I have heard that little dose of weed has made someone to "see" or more like imagine how does tiny molecules vibrate and wiggle the space time around them, just watching on a table.

I guess you need some kind of kick-start, not necessary a alien chemical, but just a thought.

beerwiz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-3-2019 at 03:29

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LSD is not that mind altering, there are way more potent chems out there for that. It is hard to get that other point of view, but It depends on individual, I guess. I have heard that little dose of weed has made someone to "see" or more like imagine how does tiny molecules vibrate and wiggle the space time around them, just watching on a table.

I guess you need some kind of kick-start, not necessary a alien chemical, but just a thought.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LSD would be my prime choice if I was to tackle an unfathomable problem like time travel. I've had success with it solving other difficult problems and have had amazing breakthroughs. As far as I know, LSD is the most powerful mind altering drug available today. It is 100 times more potent than magick mushrooms and 4000 times stronger than mescaline

You say there are more potent mind altering chems than LSD. Can you name a few? My job requires a lot of creativity and any suggestions you may have will be of great value.

I tried weed once (purple haze) and I didn't see any value in it, that was 20 years ago.

[Edited on 14-3-2019 by beerwiz]
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-3-2019 at 05:54

Quote: Originally posted by sodium_stearate  
I will offer the idea of taking some LSD.

LSD is fun but for insights you need THC.
1) to get to the other side
2) even if no one is exists, a bear on a falling tree in the woods would make a noise when it shits its self
3) blue is the new black, unless on a non-Euclidien plane during Easter
4) It is unlikely that any human in our future develops time travel as no one in our past has reported meeting a time traveller.
This means that humanity ends before time travel is discovered.
(according to a recent conversation with my trees, I estimate that to be during the third waxing of the moon when Jupiter is in Scorpio and Saturn in Pisces, just after the Sun rises in the West, which would otherwise have been a lovely afternoon)

... mmmmm ... maybe neither LSD nor THC has the answer :)

- but I have heard that there is a link between licking the back of a Malaysian penguin and hallucinatinory states.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 14-3-2019 at 06:08

Quote: Originally posted by beerwiz  

LSD would be my prime choice if I was to tackle an unfathomable problem like time travel. I've had success with it solving other difficult problems and have had amazing breakthroughs. As far as I know, LSD is the most powerful mind altering drug available today. It is 100 times more potent than magick mushrooms and 4000 times stronger than mescaline

You say there are more potent mind altering chems than LSD. Can you name a few? My job requires a lot of creativity and any suggestions you may have will be of great value.

I tried weed once (purple haze) and I didn't see any value in it, that was 20 years ago.

[Edited on 14-3-2019 by beerwiz]

More potent - maybe not, more mind altering - DMT and derivatives.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top