Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Dichloromethane
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2019 at 12:13

Quote: Originally posted by DavidJR  
I paid £9.50 for 2.5L of HPLC grade DCM, and like all of my solvents from that supplier, it came in an amber glass bottle.

Interesting. Cheaper than mine. What supplier did you get it from?
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 11-5-2019 at 15:29

Quote: Originally posted by Keras  
Quote: Originally posted by DavidJR  
I paid £9.50 for 2.5L of HPLC grade DCM, and like all of my solvents from that supplier, it came in an amber glass bottle.

Interesting. Cheaper than mine. What supplier did you get it from?

http://rathburn.co.uk
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 16:52

A glass bottle should not break with DCM on a hot summer day (110F, 45C).
But if you live at high altitude with a hot summer day that calculus can change.
Most bottles can handle more than 20 psi. Beer bottles are around 45 psi.
Champagne are double that at 90 psi. Gallon jugs (3.7L) are less capable than smaller ones.
500ml bottles should be fine. But as a general rule unless it is in direct sunlight where it can get
exceedingly hot, you should be fine. Oh and don't store DCM in direct sunlight. Metal cans will
fail in that scenario as well.
Tkuze
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-5-2019 at 03:28

Unfortunately I found out today that most hardware stores discontinued selling strippers(usually gels) with DCM. This was a bummer because I really needed to get some local and quickly distill it for an acid base extraction.. my lab grade DCM is still shipping
kulep
Harmless

Mood: Spicy

[*] posted on 14-5-2019 at 04:17

Quote: Originally posted by macckone  
But if you live at high altitude with a hot summer day that calculus can change.

Actually it's the same. The pressure inside the bottle is the sum of the partial pressures.
If you start with a bottle filled with air, add dcm and cap it, at 40ºc the pressure inside will be 1bar (air) + 1bar (dcm) = 2bar of absolute pressure, or 1bar above atmospheric pressure.
If your atmospheric pressure changes the difference will always be 1 bar.

If before filling it with dcm you vacuum the bottle, at 40ºc the pressure inside it will be 1bar, the same as atmospheric pressure
Chemi Pharma
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quarantined

[*] posted on 14-5-2019 at 08:08

Oh man! Don't worry about CH2Cl2 or even chloroform. Both solvents are used as drugs by people that want to get high in parties, mainly carnival. Here, where I live, people sells them in 100ml stainless steel, ready to be used in the spray form. I have already seen too many people fallen down at the party hall cause this but, never, really never, have saw someone die or be sent to a hospital cause inhaled it too much.

Also, Dichloromethane and Chloroform are both non inflammable liquids and both have low vapor pressure, cause this you can storage them safely inside amber glass bottles with bung and lid almost indefinitely.

Happy now, cause with this comment I will be promoted to four stars National Hazard in the Forum:D
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 14-5-2019 at 08:32

Quote: Originally posted by Chemi Pharma  

Also, Dichloromethane and Chloroform are both non inflammable liquids and both have low vapor pressure, cause this you can storage them safely inside amber glass bottles with bung and lid almost indefinitely.

Low vapor pressure is better for long term storage, but DCM has a high vapor pressure

edited mistake...

[Edited on 15-5-2019 by Ubya]

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
happyfooddance
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-5-2019 at 23:59

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  

Low vapor pressure is not better for long term storage, it's worse:D

DCM and chloroform have relatively high vapor pressure. DCM is stable upon storage, chloroform is not (without stabilizer). Many people have died from both: from occupational, recreational, and medical use (check literature).

draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2019 at 09:29

No one Huff's DCM. chloroform is a drug but DCM isn't . DCM is poison, chloroform isnt.
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 15-5-2019 at 10:15

Chloroform is quite poisonous, even moreso than DCM last I checked, but its lower volatility means the liquid is less of an exposure risk. Both compounds are likely to be intoxicating according to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theories_of_general_anaesthetic...

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2019 at 02:11

Last you checked, have you ever smelt DCM or cloroform? One is sweet smelling and doesn't make you feel like shit, DCM smells awful and makes you feel awful.wherever you last checked doesn't compare to experience.
Chemi Pharma
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-5-2019 at 11:11

Quote: Originally posted by draculic acid69  
Last you checked, have you ever smelt DCM or cloroform? One is sweet smelling and doesn't make you feel like shit, DCM smells awful and makes you feel awful.wherever you last checked doesn't compare to experience.

Both have sweet taste and smell. You are wrong. DCM is much less toxic than Chloroform cause it has one less Chlorine atom and it's closer to methyl chloride than chloroform. Carbon tetra chloride, instead, is a potent carcinogenic and liver toxic compound. Why? cause the extra chlorine it has.

Look at ethyl chloride, an innocuous anesthetic. Why? cause it has just one chlorine molecule attached. How much more chlorine the hydrocarbon has been substituted, more toxic the compound is.

When I was 13 or 14th years old and created my first own laboratory, the times these chemicals wasn't watched, I used them for recreational purposes as a curiosity, among with a lot of my friends and nobody has died or went to a hospital or develop liver or lung diseases cause this.

As I have said, here where I live, both DCM and Choloform are sold as recreational drugs inside stainless steel spray bottles ready to use by anyone who wants to experiment it. I know, by my own experience that this chemicals do nothing with your health, besides get somebody high and be knocked down later as an unconscious body after a few minutes, if you smell it too much.

Of course now I'm an adult and don't do it anymore passed more than 30 years, even though be forced to breath a little while I'm doing my lab experiences. However, I have my own experience to say with authority that what all of the members are saying about the risks of DCM and Chloroform are bullshit.

I think GHB is worse than this as an abusing drug, don't you think so?:)
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 16-5-2019 at 12:11

As I have said, here where I live, both DCM and Choloform are sold as recreational drugs inside stainless steel spray bottles ready to use by anyone who wants to experiment it. I know, by my own experience that this chemicals do nothing with your health, besides get somebody high and be knocked down later as an unconscious body after a few minutes, if you smell it too much.

Of course now I'm an adult and don't do it anymore passed more than 30 years, even though be forced to breath a little while I'm doing my lab experiences. However, I have my own experience to say with authority that what all of the members are saying about the risks of DCM and Chloroform are bullshit.

How wise, me too as a kid I used to melt lead on my kitchen stove without any air exchange, I've never had heavy metal poisoning or neurological problem, lead vapors are safe to sniff for years:D

Jokes apart (the melting lead in the kitchen is true though...), just your personal experience is not enough to declare safe a substance, there have been studies on large populations and long periods of time, and the exposure to these chemicals resulted to negative health effects.
Plus carcinogenic effects are long term, just because you and your friends didn't get cancer the day after you got high on chlorinated solvents it doesn't make them safe, you just got higher chances of getting cancer in the future, you could be lucky or not

feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
Chemi Pharma
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-5-2019 at 20:57

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
How wise, me too as a kid I used to melt lead on my kitchen stove without any air exchange, I've never had heavy metal poisoning or neurological problem, lead vapors are safe to sniff for years:D

Jokes apart (the melting lead in the kitchen is true though...), just your personal experience is not enough to declare safe a substance, there have been studies on large populations and long periods of time, and the exposure to these chemicals resulted to negative health effects.
Plus carcinogenic effects are long term, just because you and your friends didn't get cancer the day after you got high on chlorinated solvents it doesn't make them safe, you just got higher chances of getting cancer in the future, you could be lucky or not

Funny you say that, cause it remembers me melting lead on the stove to make video games coins when I was a kid. What a kind of a mess and crazy things we do when we are younger, isn't it?:P

For sure you're right. I'm not saying is safe to use DCM or Chloroform with recreational use. I have experimented it once or twice when I was very young. Long term exposure can cause cancer and other lung and liver diseases, certainly. I'm just saying to don't be so paranoid if you breath a little accidentally, working with chlorinated solvents at the Lab.
Assured Fish
Hazard to Others

Mood: Misanthropic

[*] posted on 16-5-2019 at 23:02

After reading through this thread suddenly i feel like a little bit less of an idiot after sleeping a week in close proximity to a small amount of DCM and getting some hexavalent chromium on my fingers.

Nice to know others are taking bigger risks than I.

Sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from madness.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 17-5-2019 at 01:13

I think it is very unwise to sniff CH2Cl2 or CHCl3 and it is even more stupid to sniff CCl4. I think you put a big mortgage on your future health if you sniff these chemicals deliberately on a regular basis.

An accidental whiff of them is no problem. You can safely experiment with these chemicals on an incidental basis, but if you use them very frequently, then you should take countermeasures to avoid inhalation.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-5-2019 at 03:04

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I think it is very unwise to sniff CH2Cl2 or CHCl3 and it is even more stupid to sniff CCl4. I think you put a big mortgage on your future health if you sniff these chemicals deliberately on a regular basis.

An accidental whiff of them is no problem. You can safely experiment with these chemicals on an incidental basis, but if you use them very frequently, then you should take countermeasures to avoid inhalation.

Apparently CH2Cl2 is the less noxious of the three cited. Which of course is no green light to intentionally sniffing it.
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-5-2019 at 06:02

Chemi pharma are you saying you huffed DCM and got high?
Chemi Pharma
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-5-2019 at 07:33

Chemi pharma are you saying you huffed DCM and got high?

Yes. But I was 13th years old and did that influenced by bad friends. I did that once or twice in 1980, at carnival parties, almost 40 years ago man. Don't blame me at all! I was quite a child. I didn't do that nevermore after this year, even studying at a Chemical Technological school and having all this chlorinated solvents at my disposal everyday. These times DCM and CHCl3 wasn't too closely watched like they are today and was common, here where I live, to use them with recreational purposes.

Good days, good days that will never come back! The world were better, you know?!

But like I've said, I don't recomend anyone to do that. I exposed myself to an unnecessary risk only because friendship and to prove that I was brave to the collegial group. A stupid thing you only do when you are too much younger and immature.

But What I've said about don't be so paranoid if you breath some DCM accidentally at the Lab still true. If even me, that got high breathing deeply DCM 40 years ago didn't became sick, I think all of us, sciencemadness members, can work with this chlorinated solvents safely, however what @Woelen said is true: if you are everyday exposed to a high ppm contaminated air with DCM or CHCL3 in the Lab, you must use personal safe equipment, like an entire facial mask.

Nobody here wants some fellows of us get liver or lung diseases, isn't it?:P
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-5-2019 at 10:07

I've been around large amounts of evaporating DCM and never got high just sick.one whiff of chloroform and I'm on my ass. did the DCM actually give you a chloroform buzz?
Chemi Pharma
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-5-2019 at 10:36

I've been around large amounts of evaporating DCM and never got high just sick.one whiff of chloroform and I'm on my ass. did the DCM actually give you a chloroform buzz?

I will tell you what I felt 40 years ago. One time it was with DCM and one time it was with chloroform, that my colleagues of school brought from the school Lab deposit to a party we have gone. We put the DCM liquid into a scarf and begun to sniff it, all of us. Soon I heard like a noise of helicopters in my head. My body felt like unresponsive what my mind wanted. I saw a lot of bright points in my vision and the ambient were like a dream to me. A few minutes later I were knocked down on the floor, dreaming about anything I don't remember. When I woke up, 15 minutes later, I didn't remember anything what have passed around me, but with a terrible headache, with not so scare and awful symptoms, and begun to dance again at the party. Another time, some days after, we all of school guys have experimented with chloroform. The same effect. But this time I woke up very seasick, and promise myself I wont do it anymore.

And is all what I've done and it's all I have to testimony about chlorinated solvents biological effects and repeat here: don't do this stupid thing I did! I was very young and apart of the risks inhaling that substances, today you get the risk to be arrested. Work safe at your lab with an entire facial mask while doing reactions and work ups with DCM and Chloroform.

It's all I can say about that! Don't injury your lungs and liver if you want to have a long life, ok?:P
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 17-5-2019 at 11:05

The point is clear ;)
Every young boy (or girl) does stupid things every now and then. It happened to us all. So, no blame to you!
Just use common sense when using these chemicals, and if you use them frequently, take measures to protect yourself.
And no, they are not illegal. In some countries they are harder to get nowadays, but it is not illegal to posses some of these chemicals. In NL you still can buy DCM without problems. Chloroform is harder to find, but if you look well, you can find that as well (stabilized so that no phosgene is formed on storage).

[Edited on 17-5-19 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top