Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: gas regulator needed for propane tank
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 4-2-2009 at 17:30
gas regulator needed for propane tank

I got a propane gas regulator from the sporting goods store. Problem is it is designed for 150,000 BTU applications and the Bunsen burner takes about 5,000 BTU. I need to find an appropriate regulator. They make the for down to 30 or 40K BTU and one of those would work a lot better than the one I've got. Right now we're necking down with a ball valve. It's a less than ideal solution. Anyone dealt with this and have sources for regulators in the right range?

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 4-2-2009 at 18:38

I have a small regulator which is stamped on the backside: "Precimex model 6000 LP gas regulator." It has threads that fit up to the small (400g) propane tanks. It is continuously adjustable from "maximum" to "low." For the most part it does the job OK. However, sometimes I wish I could turn it down further. I bought it at a place that sells BBQ equipment.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-2-2009 at 18:46

My 45-lb propane tank has a valve on top with two sets of threads. The outer set is the coarse threads used by backyard gas grills. The inner set uses a standard CGA fuel gas thread. I use an ordinary two-stage acetylene regulator.
densest
Hazard to Others

Mood: slowly warming to strain point

[*] posted on 4-2-2009 at 21:09

A welding supply store will sell you a propane (or acetylene) regulator which is designed to supply a small torch. Harris is a popular brand. A regulator marked acetylene will work with propane, but the -hose- must be "type T" if it's welding hose because propane will rot regular welding torch hose. The welding regulators allow you to set the delivered pressure. 2-5 PSI is plenty - I run a meker burner off my propane tank at 2 PSI. Again, be sure whatever hose you're using is rated for propane, because experiencing the hose crumbling while the burner is lit is something to avoid. If you get a used regulator, most have neoprene pressure diaphragms which become flaky after about 15 years. I got a regulator with all stainless steel so I don't worry about that, but that was a very lucky buy on EBay.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 4-2-2009 at 22:53

Harris is manufactured in your state so ought to have good distribution there and their brass butane regulators are inexpensive.

Look on their website for model you need.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2009 at 23:37

Wonderful: I got something valuable from every one of your replies. Thanks for your posts!

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 08:50

After avoiding gas reulators for years due to looking at needless Aldrich markup. I have been very happy with Harris. Their stainless steel diaphragm valves which I use on lecture bottles and sample cylinders are lovely and a lot les $$$ than S-A. Their brass regulators are only about $100 single stage with gauges. They get more expensive for specialty gas stainless regulators, and high pressure H2 regulators, but that is to be expected. Propane is just meat & potatoes brass for them, sold in their welding line. I'm sure they will have a valve in the pressure range you need.

Note that they will need to know the gas, because the CGA interfaces are specific. And they will need to know the outlet you want if there is more than one choice.

evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 21:35

Hell with it, just get an ebay cheapo single stage regulator.

I personally wouldn't spend more than $40 on one if possible.

I run mine about 10PSI and use the needle on the burner to fine tune the output.

I somehow thing that when properly fired, it puts out significantly more than several thousand BTU.

[Edited on 5-2-2009 by evil_lurker]

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 03:42

Harris makes regulators in that price class but they are gaugeless designs. Gauges cost money.

http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/equipment/regulatorInfo.a...

The Model 25 is one of Harris's workhorses and one of their least expensive gauged single stage regulatotors and handles cylinders to 500 psig propane and delivers 0-50 psig, the propane one is 3rd from top, inlet thread CGA 510P.

In a lab environment you want to save $60 on a pressurized cyl of flammable gas over liquid???? I don't think that is prudent at all.

[Edited on 6-2-2009 by Sauron]

Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 05:04

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
... and a lot les $$$ than S-A.

a tautology!!!!

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 05:19

Admittedly. Actually that's not precisely a tautology, merely a redundancy. A tautology would be "Aldrich is overpriced."

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 06:06

Quote:
Originally posted by evil_lurker
Hell with it, just get an ebay cheapo single stage regulator. [...] I personally wouldn't spend more than $40 on one if possible.
I've bought plenty of two-stage regulators on eBay in the $30 - $35, including shipping. Be prepared for either maintenance the stochastic failure cost. An oxygen regulator I acquired had a tiny leak. So I disassembled it. It's an old enough gauge that it was built for field maintenance. The main body was in two parts, threaded together, with wrench flats one each side. It turns out there was a tiny O-ring that had failed. I replaced it with a Viton one. Viton is rated for oxygen service, and, given the age of the gauge, I doubt that it was the original material. So now its better than new, at least in its innards.
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 11:45
clarification of regulator need

Here's what I have. I want somethintg like this for low pressure applications; ~ 5K btu.

regulator.jpg - 8kB

Go To Top