Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I feel thrifty!
Quantum
Hazard to Others

Mood: Interested

biggrin.gif posted on 6-12-2003 at 19:42
I feel thrifty!

Humm, glassware. I look in my wallet and find 23$USA I can't get anything for that...or can I. From American Science and Surplus I got 4 glass stiring rods, a glass thermometer(-10-110c), a 500ml flask, a 400ml beaker and a 100ml graduate! Anyone else have stories about getting their first peices of equipment?

What if, what is isn\'t true?
Haggis
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lacrymating

[*] posted on 6-12-2003 at 22:54

My first glassware order was also from A.S&S. I got, IIRC, 2-250ml beakers, 2-50ml beakers and 2-50ml Erlenmeyers. Since that time, I beleive I've ordered glassware 3 more times, and I'm preparing for another, due to the christmas season.

It's a great feeling, pulling a nice, clean, bubble wrapped beaker out of the box and knowing that this piece of equipment is yours and yours only, and will take you into the world of chemistry.

I also just like getting packages in the mail.

Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds.
<b> <a href=\"http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEE41A2B1\">PGP Key</a> </b> 0C0A 7486 B97F 92EE AE50 A98C A4F3 087E 8CE9 A782
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 6-12-2003 at 22:55

I got my first piece of real glassware when i was in gr6...500ml pyrex erlenmeyer wide mouth flask with stopper. Since then I have been buying glassware as i need it for experiments. then this year the lab technician at my school(she knows me and my hobby well) gave me a pyrex 50ml buret with teflon stopcock(because the top was badly cracked, luckily just above the 0ml line), she assumed i had no other equipment for titrations so i got stirring rod(anealed ends) 500ml florence flask, 500ml erlenmeyer flask, retort stand with ring clamp, glass funnel, 250ml beaker and 30ml graduated cylinder. All was new except the beaker which was badly scratched. That was my best equipment-aquiring story.:cool:

edit: forgot a piece of equipment

[Edited on 7-12-2003 by rogue chemist]
Tuatara
Harmless

Mood: cheerful

[*] posted on 7-12-2003 at 14:38

My wife used to work for a med supply company - fancy blood gas analysers and the like. They decide to stop sell Schott glassware, but couldn't clear their stock even at discount prices, so it was going to be dumped. Luckily I found out, was lead into the warehouse and told I could take anything I wanted. Free. Felt like a kid in a candy shop with daddy's Gold Card.

Came away with three car loads of stuff - mostly taper fit. Got burettes, flasks, measuring cylinders, pipettes, condensors, pH meter, conductivity meter, thermometers ...

Still one or two holes in my collection though, they were clearing their stock after all.

All\'s well that ends.
ech310n
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-12-2003 at 22:10

My supply of 'exotic' glassware comes from eBay for me. Of the more interesting peices of glassware is my 500mm Jacketed Liebig Condenser (Quickfit) with a splash head (Quickfit) for a total of about AU$65, 5 100mL Pyrex Flasks (~AU$10), 5 250mL Pyrex flasks (~AU$15), 1L 24/29 Quickfit Flask (~AU$25) and many more. Any general glassware or anything I cannot find on eBay I purchase new from either of two Australian laboratory suppliers I have accounts with.

Quite strangely the first peice of glassware I bought was that Liebig condenser I mentioned above from eBay along with a 100mL measuring cylinder. I don't know what I would do without that condenser, it is so useful! :D

What annoys me is when other people from Australia complain that glassware is too expensive or they just cannot find any because they are lazy. For what I have managed to procure I find quite impressive considering I am not even over 18 nor have a job with anything to do with chemistry.

[Edited on 8-12-2003 by ech310n]
guaguanco
Hazard to Others

Mood: heterocyclic

[*] posted on 9-12-2003 at 15:15

I was in AP chemistry in high school. Our teacher has very cool; he let me order a cool little glassware kit with round-bottom flasks, condensers, pretty much everything you needed for distillations, simple reactions etc.
I dearly wish I still had that kit!
Pyro
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 18:13

my chemistry teacher sucked, he refused to sell anything to me.
so i ordered some stuff online, the shipping cost loads (it was only from rotterdam to gent +-3hrs by train, but still cost 40 bucks), but it was worth it.

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 08:27

My first glassware came from a multitude of chemistry sets, but, after using them vigorously for several months, some broke, 100ml beakers weren't big enough etc. etc. . . .my first internet order IIRC came shortly after and was for x10 250ml Erlenmeyers, some stirring rods and a 100ml conical . . .how I loved that, my first ever Erlenmeyer:)

My teacher in high school became quite pleased with a pupil studying chem outside of school, so he gave me a class A borosilicate glass burette, several Mohr and volumetric pipettes, a few ringstands and accsessories and over the holidays he's having the technician clear out the stockroom and he's giving me everything they don't use . . .yay!!!:)

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill

Go To Top