Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Dreams
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 4-6-2009 at 21:28

Interesting. I regularly use 5-HTP as a sleep aid, (and mild anti-depressant). I definitely get more vivid dreams, especially when I haven't used it for a while.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
manimal
Hazard to Others

Mood: ain't even mad

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 16:47

Plain alcohol influences my dreams to some extent. After retiring from a drinking spell, I usually notice increased lucidity and continuity of my dreams.
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-6-2009 at 17:22

Have read that Piracetam (actually all of the Racetams) can do this.

You can buy it on Amazon.com
Dr.3vil
Hazard to Self

Mood: 4He + 8.7 MeV

[*] posted on 17-6-2009 at 14:49

From personal experience while trying to quit smoking, the patch gives you some really odd dreams. I would say I actually enjoyed the dream state while the patch was on. I was able to vividly recall the dreams the next morning and overall they were presently bazaar.

DR.3vil

- Paper chemistry works the first time every time -
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 27-12-2018 at 08:31

SSRIs are pretty infamous for causing nightmares; I have known several people to find the side effect so traumatic to make the pharmaceutical intolerable.

Mugwort was briefly mentioned but deserves some elaboration. I can confirm that smoking it or drinking a tea causes vivid, colorful, sometimes lucid dreams. Regarding color, I sometimes dream in color, but it's typically dull reds & yellows. I know this partly because of dreams where the color mattered (I have several times encountered a snake and had to decode whether it was a harmless scarlet king or a poisonous coral using "red touches black, friend of jack, red touches yellow, could kill a fellow"). I also know because of dreams in which I saw pinks, purples, greens, and blues, in which the colors are very bright an the dream is hard to forget upon waking. Almost all such dreams I've had were during my period of experimenting with mugwort. The most fantastic involved looking at the sky and seeing the constellation orion appear as an incredible starry-night display.
Regarding lucidity, I had a number of lucid dreams during this episode, with one of the interesting takeaways that when I encountered other people in these dreams, they seemed to be lucid as well; ie, I was projecting a theory of mind upon them.
I also had dreams-within-dreams. One in particular occurred as I napped between classes on the couch in a room which belonged to the undergrad physics department. I needed to wake up by 11:15 am to get to my next class on time. I dreamed that I "woke up", checked my watch, left the room with a friend, and then the plot drifted to playing bumpercars in the parking lot. I then dreamed that I "woke up", checked my watch, related to the physics nerds that I'd had a dream within a dream, left the room, and got caught up in some other plot derailment. I then woke up (I think), checked my watch, remarked to the physics nerds that I'd had a dream within a dream within a dream, left the room, and went to class.
Too large a dose creates a fairly hellish, fever-dream like experience. Chronic use will cause tolerance and is probably not a good idea.

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2018 at 11:30

I've noticed that cheese will sometimes create vivid dreams. You can Google some accounts/anecdotes like this ...

"Blue cheese gives you ‘wacky’ dreams, says Nigel. They’re not nightmarish – they’re just a bit odd. For example, he recalls, ‘One of the volunteers said that she dreamed of a vegetarian crocodile who was upset because he couldn’t eat children. And another one dreamed that they had soldiers fighting with each other with kittens instead of guns.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2016/07/27/this-is-how-the-type-of-chees...

[Edited on 27-12-2018 by Morgan]
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 27-12-2018 at 18:02

Another one worth mentioning is the alpha blocker prazosin, trade name minipress. It was developed as an antihypertensive, but at low doses it's shown promise for traumatic stress symptoms, including nightmares. It is also used to treat alcoholism and scorpion stings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prazosin

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-12-2018 at 14:58

Quote: Originally posted by mayko  
Another one worth mentioning is the alpha blocker prazosin, trade name minipress. It was developed as an antihypertensive, but at low doses it's shown promise for traumatic stress symptoms, including nightmares. It is also used to treat alcoholism and scorpion stings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prazosin

Saw this on Reddit today claiming mixed results.
https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2018/12/27/PTSD-drug-may-inc...
Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-1-2019 at 05:28

In the Army I was given malaria drugs (don't recall what exactly) which are notorious for this. It was pretty cool actually.

Everyone would get up in the morning and talk about their weird dreams. It was a strange juxtaposition given the circumstances.

[Edited on 2-1-2019 by Mr. Rogers]
lordcookies24
Hazard to Self

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 17:07

Salvia gives you vivid dreams

[Edited on 7-1-2019 by lordcookies24]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top