Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cheap ebay scales
dann2
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-3-2009 at 15:47
Cheap ebay scales

Hello Folks,

Hope noone is going to tell me to UTFSE as I have to no (fuc....) avail.
Has anyone purchased a scales like these on ebay.
Are they OK do you's think for someone who is not going to bust the bank.

Cheers
Dann2

[Edited on 15-3-2009 by dann2]
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-3-2009 at 17:29

I use similiar cheap ones..I've had it break before but that was my fault, and I think they are fairly accurate as I've measured pennies over and over and it gives consistent results, and shows the weight pennies are supposed to weight - which varies a little bit.

Of course it depends on what you are want to do with it, and how accurate you want your reactions to be.

Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 15-3-2009 at 17:41

What kind of scale are you talking about? Electronic , digital, triple beam ect.... how deap do you need it to read? All of this is going to be a factor as to weather or not the scale is worth it.
My personal favorite type of scale is triple beams but that got confiscated so not im just living with a cheep 10$ harbor freight digital and ill have to say its not working out to bad either. 1/10 gram depth is good enough for me at the time being.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 15-3-2009 at 19:53

I have no experience with that particular model, but a 0.01 g x 100 g for 16 pounds sounds like a good deal on a useful balance. A little more capacity would be nice, but the advertised precision seems quite good for the low price.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 15-3-2009 at 20:12

Hell I didnt even see your link the first time there dude. I seen the scale in question now and Id say go for it and give it a try. worst case situation is your out a few buck but best case is it works fine for a while and saves you the 200-300$ pricetag that simular scales with that form of precision have. Honestly I think Im going to pick my self up one.

[Edited on 15-3-2009 by Sedit]

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 15-3-2009 at 22:04

I have one a lot like the one shown I got for $15US. I use it for weighing fly lines. I check it with an Ohaus callibration set of small weights. It never seems to change and reads accurately.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 15-3-2009 at 22:23

If you want to measure very small quantities, buy a old mechanical Mettler balance off of Ebay. I purchased mine for around $50 with shipping several years ago. It works great, but you cannot just press a tare button. The balance weighs down to .1 mg and up to 160g. One of my professors told me that the old mechanical balances are more accurate then the newer digital scales.

Amateur NMR spectroscopist
hashashan
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-3-2009 at 02:40

I had experience with the 0.1g models.
they are ok... however be prepared to buy them every 6 months because they do tend to brake, either they just ware down very easily or I'm just really careless
HydroCarbon
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-3-2009 at 06:54

I've had a cheap plastic $30 one from ebay for quite some time now, and it still works perfectly. Measures out to 0.01 and has always been precise and accurate enough. The only problem is that the weigh surface is quite small.
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 18-3-2009 at 00:10

The cheap ones for weighing a few grams with a resolution of 0.01 g are pretty decent.

However, I would stay away from the 0.001 g resolution scales. I had HORRIBLE experiences with those and had to send a few of them back. After calibration, they wouldn't even measure the calibration weight accurately nor precisely -_-

Also, a word of caution about the old Mettler balances. Though they are extremely accurate (resolution of 10 ug), they can be a huge pain to use because the slightest movement messes them up so you will have to recalibrate often (or keep it on a concrete block).

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
over9000
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-3-2009 at 08:41

There is this one site- dealextreme.com

They have some really cheap small electronics on there but get this: everything is free shipping.

Anyways I ordered some stuff and it take a while (cause it is straight from china) but it came and it worked really well actually. They also have a bunch of other random crap that is cheap and useful.

http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.digital%20scale

First post!!!

Go To Top