Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bacteria in the stratosphere, how?
CyrusGrey
Hazard to Others

Mood: Oooh! Shiny!

[*] posted on 19-3-2009 at 18:06
Bacteria in the stratosphere, how?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Recently I was reading some very interesting articles on newly discovered bacteria
found in the stratosphere:

http://www.ptinews.com/pti%5Cptisite.nsf/0/421CC27DDF3039A76...
http://www.livemint.com/2009/03/16225513/Indian-scientists-f...
http://www.isro.org/pressrelease/Mar16_2009.htm

Now, I have read about extremophiles before, but this is really extreme! How does
something obtain nutrients and reproduce when it is just being blown around? I'm also
wondering how these organisms resist radiation like that? Does anyone think that they
are actually extraterrestrial as was mentioned?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iEYEARECAAYFAknC+kQACgkQ2GSt2Y9gf6hdZgCdGe/5wVYK61xjy7J1Y6v1X7+x
TM4An24hunBb/90QxtreM/gEWBFzpPOH
=1z5e
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Check out the Home Chemistry Society

My public key: C800 4A08 A3F6 81F7 7187 A1D5 D864 ADD9 8F60 7FA8
I posted my public key block here:
https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=11960
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 19-3-2009 at 18:20

Maybe they make a thermodynamic living off gas molecules.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 19-3-2009 at 18:32

Extraterrestrial, doubtful, we have found bacteria living in nuclear reactors for god sake. There is so much diversity with bacteria I doubt that we will ever find a place where they cant live given the right time to evolve to its enviroment. Keep in mind mutation is a function of generation and many bacteria have a new generation every 20 minutes. I think given the likelyhood that because of so little to feed off of up there you will find that these may just 'feed' off the radiation that you think should kill them. Its just a hunch but if the site your speaking of(Which i havent read yet sorry) talks of ET orgins Im a little skeptical weather or not these even exist.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
CyrusGrey
Hazard to Others

Mood: Oooh! Shiny!

[*] posted on 19-3-2009 at 18:52

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

The articles are from:
The Press Trust of India
An affiliate of the Wall Street Journal
and from the people that did the project:
The Indian Space Research Organization
respectively.

So they are fairly respectable sources. To be fair there were only a couple comments
discussing extraterrestrial origins.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iEYEARECAAYFAknDBOkACgkQ2GSt2Y9gf6gp9QCfaWHrsrk7D0bKizKGKlqR4z1K
Fr0An1TeznwutXmgKvsrb42Q/rsCbVaK
=pz7j
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Check out the Home Chemistry Society

My public key: C800 4A08 A3F6 81F7 7187 A1D5 D864 ADD9 8F60 7FA8
I posted my public key block here:
https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=11960
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-3-2009 at 22:20

They are probably blown off the surface of the ocean as sea mist, carried aloft and slowly fall back to earth, or become nuclei for raindrops or ice crystals.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 20-3-2009 at 06:55

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Wizard
carried aloft and slowly fall back to earth

Curious, though, that the Indians find bacteria up there on what could be their first sojurn into space.
NASA and the Russians miss them for years and Indians find them straight away?
Hmmm. . . carried aloft???
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 20-3-2009 at 07:07

Thats something I was considering also hissing but the way I see it even if they did manage to contaminate things the bacterias resistance to UV is still a good find. I find it a bit odd though that these bacteria have been known since a 2001 mission yet no other agency has anything to report on and all Iv seen so far is small reports on the subject. I would really like to see some updates to this because where there is bacteria there is more often then not some form of small ecosystem to follow. What that could be is well beyond me but it is a possibility.

Quote:
To be fair there were only a couple comments
discussing extraterrestrial origins.

True, I dont understand the even mention of ET origins considering this bacteria shares 98% of its DNA with its land based family so ET is pretty much out of the question.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 20-3-2009 at 07:16

Intergalactic bacterial "dark matter" sustained by "dark energy". . .who knows?
Space microscopes may be under construction as we speak!

[Edited on 20-3-2009 by hissingnoise]
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2013 at 19:19

I have my doubts , but it's worth sharing

http://news.sky.com/story/1143906/alien-bugs-discovered-in-e...

www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10321227/Alien-life...

" researchers insist they swabbed the balloon with alcohol before launch and took other precautions to prevent contamination "

My take , what about during ascent or descent. Something so small requires little static charge to stick to a dielectric like a ballon.

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 19-9-2013 at 19:32

It does sound like they're over eager to jump to the conclusion that they're personally hoping for. I'm looking forward to the published work, though.

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 20-9-2013 at 05:07

In my experience an ethanol wipe is not going to do it, only autoclaving (30 minutes at 120 degrees) kills everything, and even that won't help against spores and some thermophiles.
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 21:58

Some related reading:

Sattier, B., Puxbaum, H., & Psenner, R. (2001). Bacterial growth in supercooled cloud droplets. Geophysical Research Letters, 28(2), 239–242. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2000GL011684

Bowers, R. M., Lauber, C. L., Wiedinmyer, C., Hamady, M., Hallar, A. G., Fall, R., … Fierer, N. (2009). Characterization of airborne microbial communities at a high-elevation site and their potential to act as atmospheric ice nuclei. Applied and environmental microbiology, 75(15), 5121–30. doi:10.1128/AEM.00447-09

DeLeon-Rodriguez, N., Lathem, T. L., Rodriguez-R, L. M., Barazesh, J. M., Anderson, B. E., Beyersdorf, A. J., … Konstantinidis, K. T. (2013). Microbiome of the upper troposphere: species composition and prevalence, effects of tropical storms, and atmospheric implications. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 110(7), 2575–80. doi:10.1073/pnas.1212089110

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
pneumatician
Hazard to Others

Mood: ■■■■■■■■■■ INRI ■■■■■■■■■■ ** Igne Natura Renovatur Integra **

[*] posted on 5-2-2016 at 12:28

Bacteria??? :D

https://books.google.com/books?id=S1z_LwAACAAJ&dq=The+Co...

the universe is a petri dish tight of life EVERYWHERE

[Edited on 5-2-2016 by pneumatician]

[Edited on 5-2-2016 by pneumatician]
mayko
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 08:19

related:

"Global Ramifications of Dust and Sandstorm Microbiota."

Quote:
Dust and sandstorm events inject substantial quantities of foreign microorganisms into global ecosystems, with the ability to impact distant environments. The majority of these microorganisms originate from deserts and drylands where the soil is laden with highly stress-resistant microbes capable of thriving under extreme environmental conditions, and a substantial portion of them survive long journeys through the atmosphere. This large-scale transmission of highly resilient alien microbial contaminants raises concerns with regards to the invasion of sensitive and/or pristine sink environments, and to human health - concerns exacerbated by increases in the rate of desertification. Further increases in the transport of dust-associated microbiota could extend the spread of foreign microbes to new ecosystems, increase their load in present sink environments, disrupt ecosystem balance, and potentially introduce new pathogens. Our present understanding of these microorganisms, their phylogenic affiliations and functional significance, is insufficient to determine their impact. The purpose of this review is to provide an overview of available data regarding dust and sandstorm microbiota and their potential ramifications on human and ecosystem health. We conclude by discussing current gaps in dust and sandstorm microbiota research, and the need for collaborative studies involving high-resolution meta-omic approaches in conjunction with extensive ecological time-series studies to advance the field towards an improved and sufficient understanding of these invisible atmospheric travelers and their global ramifications.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29961874

MJ101
Hazard to Self

Mood: Always Sunny

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 13:12

@mayko: You beat me to the punch. :)

I've heard tell that the Sahara desert (and other deserts as well) have a micro-fine sand that can act as a transport for bacteria.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2...

https://massivesci.com/articles/sahara-dust-florida-bacteria...

Just a couple of examples.
mayko
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 20:03

cool; this also came out today... a good day for airborne biota, apparaently

Quote:

It is commonly believed that ballooning works because the silk catches on the wind, dragging the spider with it. But that doesn’t entirely make sense, especially since spiders only balloon during light winds. (...) But Erica Morley and Daniel Robert have an explanation. The duo, who work at the University of Bristol, has shown that spiders can sense the Earth’s electric field, and use it to launch themselves into the air.

Quote:

The upper reaches of the atmosphere have a positive charge, and the planet’s surface has a negative one. Even on sunny days with cloudless skies, the air carries a voltage of around 100 volts for every meter above the ground. In foggy or stormy conditions, that gradient might increase to tens of thousands of volts per meter.

Ballooning spiders operate within this planetary electric field. When their silk leaves their bodies, it typically picks up a negative charge. This repels the similar negative charges on the surfaces on which the spiders sit, creating enough force to lift them into the air.

Quote:

First, they showed that spiders can detect electric fields. They put the arachnids on vertical strips of cardboard in the center of a plastic box, and then generated electric fields between the floor and ceiling of similar strengths to what the spiders would experience outdoors. These fields ruffled tiny sensory hairs on the spiders’ feet, known as trichobothria. “It’s like when you rub a balloon and hold it up to your hairs,” Morley says.

In response, the spiders performed a set of movements called tiptoeing—they stood on the ends of their legs and stuck their abdomens in the air. “That behavior is only ever seen before ballooning,” says Morley. Many of the spiders actually managed to take off, despite being in closed boxes with no airflow within them. And when Morley turned off the electric fields inside the boxes, the ballooning spiders dropped.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/07/the-elec...

Go To Top