Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ultrasonic emulsification of oil with lecithin - water solubility
soma
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 07:00
ultrasonic emulsification of oil with lecithin - water solubility

I've read that it's possible to make oil soluble substances water soluble using ultrasound and lecithin.

I've got an inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner and am wondering how effective it might be.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.
happyfooddance
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 16:20

Yes, I have used lecithin, xanthan gum, carageenan, and many other substances to make emulsions. I have done it in cheap ultrasonics (like the magnasonic you likely have) and expensive ones, and while they work, in general a high-speed mixer or homogenizer works far better. Actually, sonication is often better at breaking emulsions than making them, IME.

But the specifics such as the type of oil(s) and the water content you are trying to achieve, and dissolved solids are important factors that all change how I would answer this question.

soma
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-1-2019 at 08:48

Thanks.

I want to micellize lanosterol which is dissolved in olive oil. The concentration is 25 mgs in 10 ml.
happyfooddance
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-1-2019 at 19:35

Oh, I see. That you will have to experiment with, it is very hard to say how the lanosterol will self-associate, it doesn't always happen @ the polar or hydroxyl group, sometimes these terpenic structures act very strangely.

There are a lot of different micelle structures that can form, what kind of instruments do you plan on using to analyze your product? Or are you just trying to make something shelf-stable?
soma
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-1-2019 at 09:30

I want to make something that is water soluble for use as eye drops.

Go To Top