Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  23
Author: Subject: Best and worst smelling chemicals?
verode
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-1-2007 at 14:58

Quote:
Originally posted by verode
Quote:
Originally posted by tom haggen
I like the smell of nitromethane, butane, the smoke that comes off of steel when your drilling it.

Dislikes- #1 fish oil #2 sulfur, #3 bleach, #4 stale machine coolant, this horrible smell comes from bacteria.

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by tom haggen]

the worst the very worst
put HCL3+ anilin NH2C6H5 + KOH(CH3OH) and heat
you'll get phenilisocyanide
horrible!! sick

a mistake I write wrong the chorform
HCCl3 + NH2C6H5+ KOH(CH3OH) not water
you get isocyanide C=N-C6H5 woaw!
not the nytrile NC-C6H5
joeflsts
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 08:38

I have been experimenting with esters and I have to tell you that Butyric Acid makes me gag... I don't mean that I want to gag.. I mean it literally makes me gag.

I even had a dream not to long ago that I dropped the bottle in my lab and I wasn't able to return for about a month.

joe

[Edited on 3-1-2007 by joeflsts]
JustMe
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 18:19

Quote:

Did you wind up with the nasty body odor for a few days/weeks that Tellerium is (in)famous for?

Not that I could tell, my "exposure" was outdoors and VERY brief! That was probably the very last experiment I ever did, too.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 13:27

Quote:
Originally posted by Jdurg
Quote:
Originally posted by JustMe
(cut) What scared me was H2Te. Took chunk Tellurium, and mixed with Aluminum powder, heated. Took the product and added a few drops of slightly acidic water and scared the pants off of myself! Didn't expect so MUCH gas to be generated so fast! Yeah, got a wiff of the nasty stuff and threw the test tube away into the woods!!! Fascinated with H2Te because it could be liquified easily, but way too dangerous to attempt without a full lab.

Did you wind up with the nasty body odor for a few days/weeks that Tellerium is (in)famous for?

The polonium-210 that Col. Litvinenko was given in early November would have had the same effect - it would have converted to H2Po in his body and made him very smelly, until he died from the stuff.
NeonCortex
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-2-2007 at 12:55

A recent experience showed me just how bad borane methylsulfide smells. Just fucking awful.

Lighting up your cortex since birth
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2008 at 16:14
Clifford defects to Iraq

:D Must be making this in the " skunk works "

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2008/06/27/2008-06-27_to...

YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 29-6-2008 at 00:57

chlorinated phenol is really awful too, a single drop of it in test tube on the other side of the lab, and within a few minutes the smell is everywhere and you can even start to taste it a while after that.

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 29-6-2008 at 02:58

Good old Dave Barry. :D

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2008 at 12:57

I really start hating acetic acid. You would expect this one is not that serious at all, but after all those many times smelling it, it makes me sick.
The worst is still SO2. Makes me wanna throw up. Horrible. For some reason the SO2 wich evolves when lightling a match is not bad though (heavy, machine like odour), but when adding acid to sulphite, I must run (sickening odour) !
Why do I experience them differently?
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2008 at 13:34

I assume its the concentration in which the SO2 is? Either that or theres something else in the matches which is hiding the smell of the burning sulphur somewhat.
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 29-6-2008 at 13:41

I don't find the smell of SO2 'sickening'. It is very irritating, but I don't find it disgusting. (Unlike NH3 which is both.)
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2008 at 17:29

My favourites: Zingerone, benzaldehyde, vanillin, 1-phenylbutan-3-one, 2-methoxybenzaldehyde, methylphenylbutenone, ethyl acetate.

Worst: H2S, thiophenol, piperidine, trimethylamine, pyridine, DMF.

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 29-6-2008 at 18:33

Quote:
Originally posted by Jor
The worst is still SO2. Makes me wanna throw up. Horrible. For some reason the SO2 wich evolves when lightling a match is not bad though (heavy, machine like odour), but when adding acid to sulphite, I must run (sickening odour) !
Why do I experience them differently?

Matches contain phosphorous, and there must be something different about burnt sulfur itself, as gunpowder smells the same way. The SO2 I get from sodium metabisulfite has a somewhat musty odor, seemingly not in proportion to the stifling sensation caused by the acidity and general unpleasantness of the gas.

I have never smelled "gunpowder" (or "matches") from sulfite, so there must be diffferent molecules making up that smell. Probably the sulfites have different impurities all their own and truely pure SO2 is actually nearly odorless, though still quite unpleasant to be around.

Edit: calcined sulfates (e.g. MgSO4 at >1000C) give a noticable "burnt gunpowder" smell, in addition to the SO3 and SO2 produced.

Tim

[Edited on 6-29-2008 by 12AX7]

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 29-6-2008 at 22:16

The smell from burning gunpowder is due to SO2 plus many other chemicals. The mix contains sulfates, carbonates, probably all kinds of other carbon compounds in trace amounts and who knows what more is in the mix. You simply can't compare these smells. It is like comparing the smell of a good perfume with the smell of a single (pure) ester.

SO2 (even very pure) definitely is NOT odorless. I once made the gas at high purity from sodium bisulfite and sulphuric acid, drying it with P4O10. Well, I can tell you, this gas still has the same pungent smell as what is made when sulfite and dilute acid are mixed.

I, btw, do not really dislike the smell of SO2. Of course, it is not my favorite smell, but for me, there are much worse smells. One of the worse smells I had recently was 2,4,6-trichlorophenol. The smell of this compound itself is not even that bad, but it is sticking to everything and you keep smelling it. Even one month after I prepared some of this, I still could smell it faintly in my lab. And I only made a single (impure) droplet of this.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 29-6-2008 at 22:35

I would like to mention another horrible smell. You know the way metallic coinage smells? Bad! It gets all over your hands, too. It just smells metallic and annoying. It almost gives me a headache. It reminds me of the smell of etching copper circuit boards.

So, what is the principal chemical responsible for the smell of human feces? That would probably be one of the worst to me. Or perhaps dirty ass.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-6-2008 at 02:20

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe
I would like to mention another horrible smell. You know the way metallic coinage smells? Bad! It gets all over your hands, too. It just smells metallic and annoying. It almost gives me a headache. It reminds me of the smell of etching copper circuit boards.

A reason of this smell has been discovered not so long ago.
Search this forum for info, there is article from Angewandte Chemie about it.
Personally, I was very surprised with smell of legendary P2P. I expected something like acetone-acetophenone smell.
I like this smell very much :D. It strongly reminds me freshly mowed grass, very pleasant plant smell... something like this.

Dirty ass, shit ...? Indole matters :P
F2Chemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-6-2008 at 15:20

Mushroom alcohol (1-octene-3-ol) is pretty nice smelling. Plus it has the added benefit that if you put it in a "friends" conditioner/shampoo, they will become insect magnets. :cool:
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 30-6-2008 at 19:55

That's interesting. That's nearly identical to the metallic odor (the ketone).

Tim

DerAlte
National Hazard

Mood: Disgusted

[*] posted on 30-6-2008 at 21:37

Anyone tried tetramethyl diarsine,(CH3)2-As-As-(CH3)2, cacodyl ?

Years ago I made some after being told in high school it was probably as nauseating as any known chemical substance. It's rather easily made from an acetate heated with arsenic trioxide. The smell was indescribable (Wiki says like garlick, but I also made arsine AsH3 which does smell that way - I don't remember garlick but it was 55 yrs ago!). It seemed to produce instant strings of mucus in the nose - followed in my case by vomiting almost instantly! The only substance to make me vomit that I ever made, and I've made a few.

Don't try it! Needless to say it's as poisonous as hell, so is AsH3. Cacodylic acid is used in weed killers ( vegetation killers, any plant!)

SO2 - trivial
Cl, Br, I vapor - nasty.
HCl, HBr, HNO3, fuming H2SO4,NH3 - suffocating
H2S - I've always known the dangers of that, but it doesn't smell worse than bad
CrOCl2 - much like Cl
Crude C2H2 from carbide, bad but not revolting.

etc., but

Cacodyl ('bad stuff", from the Greek) = priceless, unspeakably revolting and nauseating!

edited per 12AX7 comment below 01-07

Der Alte

[Edited on 1-7-2008 by DerAlte]
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 05:54

Ah, I've smelled burnt arsenic (in particular, I was testing a small grain of arsenopyrite), and yes, it smells kinda-sorta-garlicy-ish.

*Tetramethyl diarsine?

Tim

DerAlte
National Hazard

Mood: Disgusted

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 07:52

Right, 12AX7 - Tetramethyl diarsine - the formula is correct

Der Alte
F2Chemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 14:10

Wow, you made AsH3? You have balls my friend. I've made a kilo or so of PH3 in my lifetime (deadly and pyrophoric), which is dangerous enough, but at least the LD50 is higher than the level that you can smell...meaning if you smell it, get the hell out.

Try F2...I've smelled that...not so nice might I add.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 15:08

Wait... You smelled F2 and lived to tell about it? The impression I got around here is that it's basically almost instantly lethal right around the smell threshold.

I knew it wasn't that bad.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 15:21

Ofcourse not. After all, it may be extremely reactive, but X molecules can react X times. So even if you breath say 1mg of F2, it can't react your whole lung.
But yes, it still remains VERY toxic. But there are worse chemicals, liek Tabun. The smell of Tabun has been described as well...

But now, how did F2 smell? :cool:
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 23:51

You could try it yourself. Just melt some KHF2 (you certainly can buy this through one of your suppliers) and stick in two graphit rods and apply some voltage. You will definitely smell the F2, formed in the reaction. You don't have to isolate it, just smell it :cool:

Actually, I intend to do this nifty experiment. I use an empty ampoule for N2O gas (whipped cream gas capsule). With a metal-saw I make two parts and the lower part is filled with some KHF2 and then I heat this with a flame (KHF2 has a fairly low melting point). The capsule is the cathode, the anode will be pushed in the molten KHF2. I do not intend to isolate any F2, but I just want to see it and maybe smell a few micrograms (but not more!).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  23

Go To Top