Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: iodoacetone?
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 23-2-2021 at 07:13

so ive been trying to make a small amount of this nightmarish prankfuel-chemical, as i very vividly remember it having practically no smell at all and with long exposure can become dreadfully painful
so i loaded some iodine prills, maybe 1 whole gram into a small flask and doused it with acetone, the iodine fell apart and became a suspension, i added more acetone but rejected heating this up in case it would start fuming everything up
it was left on radiator in a sealed plastic container, plastic to plastic screwlid, due to acetones evaporative pressure i now ended up with a brown sludge, i cranked it open and had a gentle whiff, dreadful. sharp stinging painful.
but is this iodoacetone? i used a major excess of acetone and also added assorted copper salts and eventually some acid too as it should be able to convert the iodine into hydrogen iodide and that should aid the formation- but it never decided to clear up. now i have not exposed myself to the lachrymatory madness, simply because i dont want to. and im under no circumstances gonna try to distill this horror. is there any objective test whether i do have iodoacetone?

on a sidenote i ran into this menace maybe 5 years back when i was playing around with NI3. ive always been happy with the forceful evaporative magic of acetone, so i would dry out the NI3 samples with acetone, squeeze it a bit and leave it by the window to dry out fast
but a decent amount of iodoacetone formed and i found myself rocking back and forth in fetal position, crying, with a headache, and major confusion for an entire hour, realizing somewhere down the line what was going on

now i found some data on lachrymators and i believe it was either bromoacetone or chloroacetone that has minor lachrymatory effect starting at around 1ppm- so theyre effective at a very low concentration in atmosphere, and by my memory the effect lasts quite a bit

now, chloroacetone is rather easy to make, it can be done easily, or rather the runaway reaction can be done easily by adding HCl to trichloroisocyanuric acid (TCCA) with some acetone, but its rather smelly- iodoacetone doesnt have much smell at low concentrations making it so much more interesting

now i must add the NI3 i dried out with acetone i did set off inside, and that would of course have caused plumes of iodoacetone to be vaporized (it has a boiling point of 110*C or so), so i dont think it all converts directly into iodoacetone- maybe with time and heating? NI3 is quite safe while its still wet, presumably acetone would also count as "wet", and thus safe?

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top