Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: what material use to lacquer beryllium?
Waffles
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-5-2009 at 16:55
what material use to lacquer beryllium?

I have a beryllium cube that I want to protect from the environment. It is special high purity, so it is oxidizing much faster than beryllium normally does (in other words, my question is not SHOULD I protect it, it's HOW should I protect it).

What type of readily available clear lacquer or varnish should I use to get the most protection that won't just peel off in a couple weeks?

\"…\'tis man\'s perdition to be safe, when for the truth he ought to die.\"
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 25-5-2009 at 19:57

Heat in kiln to 500 C to build up adherent protective coating of BeO?
I had some Aircraft parts I burned the potted copper windings out of. It did not seem to harm the Be a bit a bright red heat
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 25-5-2009 at 22:20

Quote: Originally posted by Eclectic  
Heat in kiln to 500 C to build up adherent protective coating of BeO?
I had some Aircraft parts I burned the potted copper windings out of. It did not seem to harm the Be a bit a bright red heat

I was under the impression that beryllium would ignite and burn at those kind of temperatures and that it behaved somewhat like a cross between aluminum and magnesium. Oxidation resilient at room temperature but burns with a vengeance when heated enough.

I have a piece of machinable stock that I suspect is intended for making X-ray windows (not the punched sheet kind). The density is very close to the theoretical density of beryllium and fingerprints on it slowly turn a darker gray over time, but exposure to the atmosphere does nothing.

Assuming it is indeed beryllium, why not just drop it in some mineral oil or kerosene? Then you need not worry about the "coating" ever getting crummy looking or peeling off.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 26-5-2009 at 06:52

I think iamthewaffler knows what's beryllium and what isn't. Also, if the cube were small enough to put into a jar or mineral oil or kerosene, I'm sure he would've done it.

I'm sure there are numerous things that would work for this.

I wonder if carnauba wax would do it? It is very hard, clear when applied thin, and ought to protect against oxygen. It's also commercially available and dissolves up nicely in gasoline or xylene/toluene. Only problem I can see is acidity.

I tihnk acrylic might be your best option.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 26-5-2009 at 09:11

You really should need do nothing to protect it....It should form tightly adhering impervious coating of the oxide, much like aluminum and titanium.

Go To Top