Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: E&W Forum stagnating?
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 31-7-2002 at 21:20
E&W Forum stagnating?

When I first discovered Megalomania's Explosives and Weapons Forum last fall it seemed vibrant with experimentation and discussion. Lately it seems that things have slowed to a crawl there. The Issues and Opinions area is still lively, but other sections have relatively little traffic, and even less of that is novel or interesting. It is painful to see such a decay take place, like watching a dear aunt go senile.

What's wrong? I have my own personal theory. There's a relatively narrow selection of known, useful explosives. A relatively narrow selection of those are suited to amateur manufacture. Since few people are experimenting with exotics and the common explosives have already been discussed to death, there isn't much room for growth. Sure, there's improvised weapons, but that section has always struck me as sort of the "Let's Play Make-Believe" section of the Forum, as opposed to the practical and tested information of other sections. Chemical weapons are of great (theoretical) interest to me. But they don't do anything that's aesthetically pleasing - unlike explosives - and they're even more hazardous (both legally and physically) than typical pyro experimentation. They are also more difficult to synthesize. There's no real way to test them that doesn't involve killing something. So, basically, people could discuss them, but there are many disincentives to actual experimentation. And people don't even really discuss them much. Note Megalomania's tantalizing promises of further chem weapon info over the last few months with no results thus far.

The "low hanging fruit" of interesting and easily amateur-accessible compounds has already been plucked. Redundant posting is strongly discouraged on the Forum. Thus the conversation goes in to slow motion, with the exception of Issues and Opinions (since you need no special qualifications to hold an opinion). I am reminded of the more general problem faced by any intelligent and aspiring individual in this day and age: to make a name for yourself, to discover something interesting, you not only have to make use of everything that your forebears discovered, but you have to find something noteworthy that the long line of intellectual explorers preceding you MISSED. You can't just match them. The world doesn't need a third discoverer of calculus. Newton and Leibnitz will forever get the credit, whether or not you come up with their principles on your own. You have to be beyond Newton and Leibnitz to be a math genius. You have to be better than Davy, Pasteur, Liebig, and Lavoisier to be a giant of chemistry. But let's not kid ourselves. Very few of the researchers currently publishing are the modern equivalent of Berzelius. The only reason they are able to publish anything is that they keep plumbing the depths of minutiae. They end up writing articles like "Significant Enhancement of Electron Transfer Reduction of NAD+ Analogues by Complexation with Scandium Ion and the Detection of the Radical Intermediate-Scandium Ion Complex." If you'd been born half a dozen generations earlier you might be the DISCOVERER of scandium, and have at least a chance of later generations remembering you. But the earlier generations grabbed all the glory and you're left picking through the crumbs until a new frontier opens up. We have the richest selection of refined knowledge and the poorest selection of new areas for exploration at any time in history - "we" in my definition including everybody who has an interest in chemistry but but less than a six-figure budget and no desire to join the Annals of Irrelevance writing about the mechanism of yet another obscure reaction.

But back to the E&W Forum. The general chemistry discussion is a potential way to open up more conversations, but it seems that so far it's just information on explosive and chem weapon precursors, for the most part. I had always maintained an idealized vision of the average Forumite as a chemistry enthusiast who happens to enjoy explosives. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe the average Forumite is actually a pyromaniac who has enough discipline to endure the "vegetables" of chemistry before getting to the "dessert" of explosions. Maybe they like chemistry only as much as the teenager who wants a car likes the fast food service industry.

In any case, the Forum seems to have reached a sort of equilibrium. What can be done to disturb the equilibrium? New laws and regulations might upset it. There might be quite a few new avenues explored if, for example, hydrogen peroxide became a controlled chemical. You see this effect clearly with the clandestine drug chemists. They always have to be prepared to go the next step, to add yet another precursor, as the law tries each time to close the noose with new restrictions. The Forum's server could crash and all its backups be wiped out in a fire (not likely), in which case all the old regulars, plus plenty of newbies, would be able to discuss everything that had been lost to the great electronic dustbin. The Forum could become a sort of more general storehouse of "forbidden knowledge" of all sorts. Start stitching together publicly available documents on nuclear weapons (as some private enthusiasts have done) to create a comprehensive picture of nuclear weapons more accurate than anything openly published to date. Mirror all chemical weapon patents. Use FOIA requests to investigate and expose the more colorful adventures of the military and national intelligence gathering/law enforcement agencies. Sort of take on some of the same roles as the Federation of American Scientists, only be deviant about it. Of course I think this would take too much effort and coordination for the loose collection of "Forumites" to really make this work. It would need a tighter, more focused group.

Anyway, that's my rambling take on the situation. I know that many of those here are regular or at least occasional Forum visitors. How do you feel about its decline? I've been there less than a year. Maybe this is a seasonal thing.
raistlin
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-8-2002 at 10:01

Ive noticed the same thing, and Ive only been there a short while.

\"To ignite, or not to ignite, that is the question.\"
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 5-8-2002 at 10:50

There's still alot to be done in pyrotechnics section. So far only some mixtures have been discussed but no real construction projects like making starmines, shells and mortars. I find this the hardest part of pyrotechnics, because chemistry and thus chemical calculations are too easy for me.
Polverone

[*] posted on 5-8-2002 at 13:52
Pyrotechnics

Oh, there's definitely room for growth in the pyrotechnics area. I'm not sure it will happen, though. Google's archives of rec.pyrotechnics can answer almost any question the beginner would have, when combined with web based resources and the odd book. Ooh, this reminds me: I've just ordered the classic, out of print "Military and Civillian Pyrotechnics" through interlibrary loan and I will be scanning it soon. I know I said I was sick of scanning, and I am, but this is less than 500 pages and it's so good... Anyway, look for an announcement here and on the Forum when it's ready for download.

There is a lot more in the way of craft to pyrotechnics. There's relatively little overlap between pyrotechnics and high explosives, and a lot more manual labor involved for the pyro (when working on an amateur scale). But I do agree that fireworks are great. I'd love to make rockets, shells, star mines, etc. but I barely have any room left to store my chemistry stuff, much less adding specialized pyro equipment. One of these years, when I have more space to work, I'd love to become more proficient with them. So far most of the E&W Forum pyro discussions have been (IIRC) about smoke, salutes, and black powder, which represent only a small subset of pyrotechnics. I don't think the Forum will attract many really skilled pyrotechnicians because most of them do not approve of amateurs who make high explosives. I experimented with pyrotechnics for 5 years before I even tried primary explosives and I still think they're great. They're also a much safer way to get a little experience with energetic materials than whipping up some acetone peroxide.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 7-8-2002 at 10:11

I think as soon as I'm up to date here, I'll come back there to wake them up!
The main problem form me is that first I had the
Alt.engr.explosives forum
then the Forum
and I have found various interesting chem forums...but the more you take, the less you do...hard to be present on all fronts.

Also I had enough time to be 100% present in 2 forums; and now (I work 8h/day) and I stil have friends, and experimentation to do, and maybe a girlfriend and an E-mail and... so when you have 10 forums, it's a bit hard to be as present as before.
I'm really the kind of guy that has interest in unknown,unmade,... explosives; and I'll try to activate a bit the F&W forum!

PH Z
kingspaz
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-8-2002 at 09:54

well don't worry this thing does happen at the forum from time to time. people all have their projects and will make new discoveries. it allways happens. in a few weeks time i hope to be making a few new topics as i finish off my projects.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 9-10-2002 at 08:42
Dang...

My visits to the forum just stagnated because I have been banned apparently...:mad:

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Polverone

[*] posted on 9-10-2002 at 11:10
You've been banned?

How do you know? Do you just have trouble logging in? Did you anger any mods? I don't visit very often anymore so I don't know what's been happening lately.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 9-10-2002 at 11:57

I dunno, I havent been active for a few days. I'm still logged on but when I try to post something it says your proxy has been banned...:mad:

I did not get banned because of something I posted, I don't understand...

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
a_bab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Angry !!!!!111111...2?!

[*] posted on 10-10-2002 at 07:41

They ban IP's, so probable they banned an IP class which includes your ISP, hence the inconvenience. Try to mail Mega or other mod.
raistlin
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-10-2002 at 16:45

I had the same problem a few days ago, but restarting the computer worked just fine, then again I have a dynamic IP address so that could be the case....

\"To ignite, or not to ignite, that is the question.\"
flickedbic
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-10-2002 at 16:13
hey!

I'm not a member of roguesci.org and now i'm not allowed to view the content w/ out joining. I bit the bullet and tried to join, but they said they werent excepting any new members. WTF is going on here?:mad:
Hoffmann-LaRoche
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-10-2002 at 17:10

i experienced the same, as i am not a member of E&W too.
I have my own theory about this....i remember that this finnish mall bomber who blew himself up in the middle of a crowd, was also member of E&W(his nickname on several forums was "rc", referring to "the mall bomber" thread here).

It was about the same time this event happened in finland, when mega stopped the "guest-feature" of the board and also stopped registration of new members.

And this cannot be chance, in my opinion.
I just hope mega stops panicing soon...

HLR

10 fingers present.
Polverone

[*] posted on 16-10-2002 at 00:22

He doesn't want a surge of new members who are A) just joining to dig for information on rc or B) joining because they heard of the rc-E&W connection and want to be mad bombers themselves. I'm sure the restrictions will be eased eventually...
Flying Dutchman
Harmless

Mood: Like 20 pounds

[*] posted on 30-10-2002 at 04:10

so am I the onlyone having trouble coming on RogueSci? I can't get up there! it says : RougeSci is closed for the 28th and a login screen comes up but if I fill in my username and password it won't accept it!
let me know if somebody has the same problem.
ps this doesn't mean I have been baned is it:(?

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Polverone

[*] posted on 30-10-2002 at 09:24

I've been having this problem for the last 3 days also. I'm not sure what's going on.
Flying Dutchman
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-10-2002 at 10:47

Yeah this mess started at the 26th now being the 30th it's been offline for 4 days!
:(

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
warpig969
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-10-2002 at 13:43

Possibly because of the Mall bombing in finland, E&W and a couple other forums are down or only allowing access by members because the guy got his info from there and they dont want ppl readin wha he ssaid or goverment getting into the suff
Flying Dutchman
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-10-2002 at 14:03

Well let's all hope they are just updating:D
Making the libary and stuff like that...

Anthony
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-10-2002 at 15:10

Don't worry, theforum has not be shut down, crashed, abducted, hijacked by pirates or anything else worrying or amusing.

The reason for the downtime is unrelated to the RC incident and theforum will back online on the 1st of Nov.

BTW don't try entering your username/password into the box that pops up - it won't work.

Vulture - do you use an online proxy/web anonymiser? If so, a number of them are banned to prevent members banned by IP from still accessing. You personally haven't been banned!
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 31-10-2002 at 05:44

It has already been solved Anthony, I have a static IP adress and I don't use anonymisers, since they are as fast as my crippled grandmother without a wheelchair...

trinitrotoluene
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid

thumbup.gif posted on 1-11-2002 at 23:55
Good news

The good news i have is i've recived an email from meglomania and he said the site is back. Heres what I recived on my mail.

Just a reminder, The Explosives and Weapons Forum is back open after being closed a few days for general maintenance. However, we have another planned outage sometime in the near future, we don’t know when, or for how long, but it will happen.

To our newest members, be patient you can begin discussion soon enough. There are a lot of you, so we will be watching. Make sure you read the rules so we may proceed, as always, with civilized discussion.

Yours truly,

Megalomania, webmaster of Rogue Science- All the knowledge “they” don’t want you to have.

Arthis
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-11-2002 at 15:05
Maintenance ?

Well roguesci.org seems to be off now. That's pretty bizarre, don't you think. I went to the E&W forum just yesterday, and today password is needed to log in. Since I'm a registered user, and frequent poster, it seems that it's closed for a while to all non-maintenance people.

I'm wondering what is to be done on it to oblige Mega to close it for several weeks ?!

Maybe an admin could tell us ? I'm refering to Kingspaz...

Not even an email to notify us about the problems or whatever... Could be cool to know, huh ?
Nick F
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-11-2002 at 04:46

Access is restricted to staff only while Mega does some routine tinkering. Fear not, it'll be back soon.
Arthis
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-11-2002 at 09:42

Thanks mister for this comforting information.

A more question (how the hell can I be so curious ?) : how do you know this information ? We know that some maintenance had to be done soon (said Mega), but how are you sure ? Personnally know an admin ?
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top