Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Girls!
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

cool.gif posted on 17-12-2003 at 11:27
Girls!

Haha, I thought that would get your attention :P:P

Was wondering whether there are any female members on this forum. Not for dating purposes (there surely are better places for this), but out of curiosity to see whether there are chemically inclined females here.
I would be surprised if there were!!

Otherwise why do you think this is such a male-dominated hobby? Because it's not girly, or what?

There are plenty of gals that are interested in chemistry (yes, the scientific type of chemistry :D), but I don't think any of them would ever consiider doing experiments at home....Kinda sad really isn't it ;)

On this one there isn't even any social pressure, as you could happily keep your chemical endeavours hidden from your fellow female friends....

What do the boys and girls reckon?

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
PinkFire
Harmless

Mood: Sanguine

[*] posted on 17-12-2003 at 14:20
same old story...!

I'm inclined to blame sexism. As a child and teen who was educated by the California public school system, I wasn't encouraged to really understand mathematics or sciences. Whenever I was "stuck" and needed assistance understanding something math or science oriented, I was more often than not told by teachers and parents, "Oh, don't worry about it, go practice your violin/cook something/write something." So I did. I think it takes special parents to encourage their daughters to study what is "traditionally" considered a male-dominated area. Hell, even the UC system accepted "geology" to fulfill a physical science requirement.

It wasn't until I became interested in soapmaking and perfumery that I took an interest in chemistry, and since that existed outside academics, I was able to approach chemistry and math with a more relaxed attitude.

Now that I've been tutored in stoichiometry and principles of equilibrium, I'm addicted! Those moments of "wow, I get it now!" are quite motivational. Now, despite having a master's degree in a completely unrelated field, I'm going back to college to get a degree in chemistry. My main interest is perfumery, but I plan to delve into many areas of chemistry while I'm at it.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-12-2003 at 14:53

I don't want to make any sexist remarks, as I am myself a defender of equal chances policy, but I always get the impression that girls are less "hardwired" for chemistry than boys.

It's hard to explain, but it's just the same as a girl will notice you're wearing a new tie and a boy won't.

That said, if they go for it, they're usually better at it then boys, because they usually show more dedication.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 17-12-2003 at 18:37

I forget what thread it was in but someone told one of the newer members to get a job to fund their chemistry habit. They said, "you should get a job and become a janitor" or something of that nature, their response was along the lines of, "Well I'm a girl" I just forget where it was, struck me as odd at the time.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 17-12-2003 at 19:01

I have three female friends(not too bad looking either) that are getting interested in chemistry. It is odd because they each take a different approach.

One want some revenge and is trying to get me to teach her some things to do. I wont teach her about high energy compounds. In many ways a bit of ethyl mercaptan can be worse than say a car bomb(if they're not in it). I don't think this is the best way to go about learning as you don't soak in the full spectrum of chemistry goodness.

The second wants to know about "cool" chemicals. The good smelling ones, or the demo kind of reactions. Lots of pretty colors, and things like that.

The third(and my best friend btw) just wants to learn as much as she can. She wants to be able to go through Chemistry and already know everything. This is how I was. Since there's really no limit to what you can learn in chemistry it keeps me quite well satisfied. I could sit down and talk to her about chemistry and sciences all night and she would be hanging on my every word. I must say, it is a great feeling having someone just about as interested as you are in a topic to talk to.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
KABOOOM(pyrojustforfun)
Hazard to Others

Mood: exuviating!

[*] posted on 18-12-2003 at 20:17

BromicAcid:that thread is "NaOH". she's Saerynide
IIRC that job idea was Hermes's

Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

sad.gif posted on 19-12-2003 at 20:14
GAKK!!!

Nooo!:mad:

thread was relating to how a person might fund a chemistry habit...Hermes mentioned job at "Janatorial SUPPLY WAREHOUSE" for "funding" maybe job in STOCKROOM!

maybe get DEEP discount, yes(yoda voice)

maybe accidentally put boxes in garbage bin not quite empty yes?
maybe midnight dumpster diving yes???
wink wink, nudge nudge,yes yes:D

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

Mood: Ichthyoidal

[*] posted on 21-12-2003 at 09:45

I've set up a poll on the matter of gender.

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
fitlaurz
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 04:13
girls love chemistry!!!!!!! (well i do anyway)

I got accepted to do a 3 year modelling contract with Models Direct in England. I've won beauty competions and my auntie wants me do do a page 3!!!!!!
but i decided agaisnt doing the contract and now im doing a Pharmaceutical chemistry degree and i love it-still might do the page 3 though!
i've got loads of gorgeous girly mates who are doing maths and science degrees and its the best-we still do a bit of modelling, just recently me and 5 of my house mates went modelling for en vogue. so really weve got the best of both worlds glamour and education!
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 03:34

I hate how girls are always not trying out "guy" subjects like IT because they've been brainwashed by society's traditions of what girls should like. They pretty much tell themselves not to get interested in certain topics cause "theyre not supposed to like things of that sort".

Last time was telling a friend about me trying to get a CCNA cert and I asked if she wanted to join me. She just gave me a funny look as if I was retarded or soemthing. Then she said "I dont want to be interested in guy subjects." Like wtf, shes making herself fit a sterotype and contributing to the disrespect for more daring females... :mad:
blip
Hazard to Others

Mood: absorbed

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 14:25

I got four girls at my school interested in chemistry, but I still have to ask them what's up with their studies to find out (they don't initiate that topic). Maybe it's that stereotyping? Also, there's a girl at my school all into computing, but it really seems her goal is just to get into a good college with good scholarships and all. I've seen only two or three females online into assembly language (any), so that sucks too. Primarily, though, it'd be the best to have a girlfriend with the same interests and knowledge as me, rather than actually working towards being a complete ditz to act cute.

Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

cool.gif posted on 9-1-2004 at 15:00
Who Cares?

I mean really, If there were too many women in lab, I just don't think I could contain myself:P

seriously though, I think the numbers are a little skewed on this site, the number of women in my organic chem lab course far outweigh the number of men.

its physics that really has a paucity of women, but unless a guy is cruising the glassware section looking for a little action, who cares what variety your colleagues come in....?

Some sciences (like the health sciences) are becoming dominated by women (like M.D.'s), not like it matters anyway!

WHO CARES!

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

biggrin.gif posted on 9-1-2004 at 15:14
EDUCATION AND GLAMOUR, THE TWIN CORNERSTONES OF SOCIETY.

Quote:
Originally posted by fitlaurz
I got accepted to do a 3 year modelling contract with Models Direct in England. I've won beauty competions and my auntie wants me do do a page 3!!!!!!
but i decided agaisnt doing the contract and now im doing a Pharmaceutical chemistry degree and i love it-still might do the page 3 though!
i've got loads of gorgeous girly mates who are doing maths and science degrees and its the best-we still do a bit of modelling, just recently me and 5 of my house mates went modelling for en vogue. so really weve got the best of both worlds glamour and education!

Does anyone remember the chippies in the clearasil ads they used to show on t.v.?
I never knew, that there really were people like that.

HEY PHEOBE!
:D:D:D

KABOOOM(pyrojustforfun)
Hazard to Others

Mood: exuviating!

smile.gif posted on 11-1-2004 at 21:01

randomly I've been chosen in a general chem lab class in which there are only 2 males (includes me:D) but anyways in my university number of fem chem students are @least three times higher than that of males. (hmmmmmmm....... time to show off;):P)

fitlaurz
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-1-2004 at 07:18
I thought this site was a discussion board and NOT a slagging off match!!!!!

I answered chemoleo's Question and get abuse from Hermes Trismegistus.

Hermes whats with the hatred for girls anyway? does your Mother abuse you ? if so i pity you and im sure theres some sort of counciling you could try!
One could say that your level of 'bitchyness' is rather girly?
So show us all the woman you are and post a bitchy girly reply to this when you're not doing your hair and make up!
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

cool.gif posted on 30-1-2004 at 07:40
Whoaaa

Let's keep this civil people, shall we?
Going from clearasil ads to abuse by mothers is a big leap, is it not? :D

Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

cool.gif posted on 30-1-2004 at 08:09
silly CHiPy! trix are for kids!

Oh yeah! I remember posting those!

They still make me grin!

No I don't like little girls, they irritate the crap out of me.

I do enjoy the company of adult women though. Truth be told. I should get used to ditzy little girls whos two biggest priorities are hair and makeup, my daughter's reasonably centered now but you never know what effect school will have.

Also COUNCILING..is a group of people gathered together for the purpose of governing.

Maybe you meant COUNSELING... good advice from a trusted friend or competent advisor..

I guess you've never seen California Highway Patrol or those Clearasil pimple ads with the frivolous little girls whose lives are "just like....totally over....like TOTALLY" because of a pimple HUH?

Don't get those telly programs and adverts across the pond?
:P

Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

wink.gif posted on 30-1-2004 at 08:13
P.S.

Sincerely hope you don't get twisted out of shape over any humor on my part there fitlaurz.

All in good sport now... wot wot!
:D

Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 30-1-2004 at 12:20

I think Hermes clearasil reply was funny.

Hey, learn to laugh about yourself!
Tip: A look in the mirror helps!

btw. - I am a neutrum.:D

Irgendwas is ja immer
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

[*] posted on 9-2-2004 at 16:20

Saerynide, am I correct in that you are a female yourself? In that case, great stuff, you are actually doing experiments! Me is impressed :D - there are so few of you!
Keep up the good work :)

EtherBunny
Harmless

Mood: adrenergic

biggrin.gif posted on 9-2-2004 at 20:06

I am female as well. And I'm not embarrassed to wear pants with chemical stains on them.
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 10-2-2004 at 00:58

Thanks Chemleo :D

Maybe substances with pretty colors could actually make pants look cooler :) Come to think of it, I might just try something like that one day :D
Friedrich Wöhler
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-2-2004 at 02:40

Oh god - I read and write in a chemical forum as a releasing ESCAPE from a climate of hardest contra-sexual insanity, destroying all that human reason. But even here I must read
"[...]whats with the hatred for girls anyway? does your Mother abuse you ?[...]"
All sexual things are "abusing" today. Its highly time now to stop such contra-human "morality".
For me that sentence on top could also name "Where comes your endless love to girl so higly? Did your mother "abuse" you?"
I must note here, I find that American sexual "morality" SICK SICK SICK and CRIMINAL.
Arresting an 11-yearly boy for erotic "doctor games" with his half sister caused even in sexual-blocked Germany a wave of indignation and solidarity. There is a joke all arround allready about best method getting asylum:
Say "I'm an American citizen. And I'm a child."

Oh, how sky-like can it be to think about chemistry only more...!

Kein Schwanz ist so hart wie das Leben.
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

Mood: Unhuman

[*] posted on 19-2-2004 at 16:52

I think women can be better than men when it comes to science and math. They dont get distracted by things as easily and have generaly a more seriouse attitude(from what I have seen) Like Vulture said, they notice things more that would normaly get missed. My girl friend knows nothing about chemistry but she's pretty smart and has helped me with some stuff. Girls pick things up fast.

Dont know if this belongs here but I just want to add it because of the anti-sexist ppl here.
I'm not sexist BUT absolutely by no means should any woman EVER be in the military! This pisses me off beond beliefe. They take up a ton more room and supplies than men. I know this from my cousin who has been in the Marines for a few years and been to other countries for this new war for oil/terrorism. He said they are picky, anoying, always needing tampons, and dont like getting dirty. Thats just the anoying parts, obviously they cant shoot, run, climb, or fight as well as men. That is all due to strength differences, and sorry women but you aint JI-Jane bitch! When I go into the Marines, if Im in a fire fight and some bitch accidently shoots a friend in the back when she gets the piss scared outa her from a near miss from an artilary shell I'm guna hand her over to the enemy for a good old fashond ass raping.
LOL oh yea, he also told me some dumb hispanic bitch in another battallion accidently discharged her M16 in the food area. No one was injured though.

[Edited on 20-2-2004 by IgnorantlyIntelligent]

\"People fear from ignorance what they do not have the intelligence to understand\"

\"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation.\"

\"A fool would rather not question, a soldier is taught not to question, a slave dares not question.\"

\"To fight for nothing is to love nothing, to die for something is to have lived for something.\"
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

smile.gif posted on 18-5-2004 at 15:58

Out of university, I can say that girls are in equal amounts vs boys in chemistry, doctor/surgery, biology, geology, pharmacy,...,
More girls in litterature, nurse, psychosociology, social assistance.
Less girls in physic, math and engineering and commercial engineering.

But it is on the change like for medical field...until 15 years ago it was mostly male field...now it is like 60/40 female/male.

About chemistry at home...yes, social pressure is already there when you are a boy (out of 200 chemists I was the only one to have a lab at home); for a girl it is even worst.

Girls are fascinated by chemistry...and chemistry can be beautiful, estethic, entertaining...but fire, explosion, and runaway feels more exciting for boys...out of 20 girls I asked to, none realy apreciate fire...I can last hours t watch a woden fire burn in the cheminey (it is beautifull, changing and...romantic.)
;);):):):P:P;);):cool::cool:

It seems that girls think more to the risks than boys do...and it is of course due to the societal endoctrinement, social pressure, group normalisation....the insidious conditionning we got every day from our birth to our emancipation...but when you see what a sect can do to adults in six monthes...imagine what can be done in 30 years on the fragile and manipulable, soft resisting child we were...:cool::cool::cool:

"boys don't cry"
"Hooo watch Tomy has build a nice truck like his father drives..."
"Girls shouldn't behave like this"
"Girls take care of themselves"
"Go on Charlie seduce a lot of girls"
"Don't watch at boys"
Everyday, every hour, each seconds ...there are zillion of practical examples, tiny implicite or big explicite things tha proves...world is sexist, archaic, biaised, machist....

Hard to make this change...only time will do ....
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top