Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Girls!
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 6-12-2004 at 16:43

You're right. I was just gazing out the window moments after the last post and I see where the bias comes from.

Point conceded.

Good argument though :D.
Sergei_Eisenstein
Hazard to Others

Mood: training

[*] posted on 16-12-2004 at 11:01
Girls

Comrade Sergei has always been under the impression that most chemgirls are - to be as honest as possible - plain ugly. This was not just an impression, it was a fact. But not long ago, he found this most delicate and interesting chemgirl. Damn, she looks soooooo innocent... Every time he sees her, she begs him to corrupt her. Ooooh yes she does! He was thinking about inviting her to the lab to sniff his newest chemicals together. However, he doesn't know yet how much of a geek she is... :(
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-12-2004 at 08:54

Quote:

Comrade Sergei has always been under the impression that most chemgirls are - to be as honest as possible - plain ugly.

I can attest to that for my female chemistry comrades. Two of them would be perfectly able to scare a German Tiger tank into submission.

The solution is to open your eyes for girls from other faculties. I recently had a talk with a girl that studies economics and she did had some general interest in chemistry stuff too. Well, on the other hand, chemical industry is a key component of Belgiums industry, so....

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 18-12-2004 at 05:32

Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
I can attest to that for my female chemistry comrades. Two of them would be perfectly able to scare a German Tiger tank into submission.

LMAO :P. Im not so suprised to notice that there are only 3 female chemstudents on my year, all that would of course agree with "sergei's hypothesis". Infact, i've also noticed in general (but not always) that girls with less of a mathemetic/science orientation, tend to be the more attractive, they all seem better at english/the arts.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 18-12-2004 at 13:03

Hmmm, maybe this was just because I was at a small liberal arts school where women were already considerably more numerous than men, but there were a fair number of good-looking female chemistry majors at my undergraduate school. The science that really seemed to attract them in droves was biology, though. I was a computer science (one of those pretend sciences that needs to attach "science" to its name, like social science :P) major, and female majors were a small minority. On the anti-stereotype side, one was quite hot and none of them was unattractive. On the stereotype-fulfillment side, one of them dropped out and tried to sue the school after she failed to pass a hard class in her junior year, and the hottie really didn't know what she was doing and graduated I-don't-know-how.

Also on the stereotype-violating side, two out of four professors in the department were female, and were both pretty good looking as well. One was tall and blonde with a twin sister who works at Cray (she had some amusing tales of visiting tech conferences with her sister and being drooled all over), and one was the daughter of a wealthy Saudi expat who grew up in England. This woman had done some groundbreaking work in natural language parsing for Arabic. Both of them were very bright and competent.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 18-12-2004 at 22:32

Yeah, i also noticed that when it comes to science, most of the girls go for biology, infact, there are hardly any guys in biology (not even me). As for computer "science" there is one girl who looks alright (also the ONLY girl there) but she is accurately marked as a slut, and i would never go near her.

My girlfriend (goes to a different school) follows the stereotypes :(, she is good at home economics (has nothing to do with economics :D, more like cooking and sewing) and the arts/music. And of course she is fairly attractive :D, if only she was into science too.

[Edited on 19-12-2004 by cyclonite4]
ordenblitz
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bohr'd

[*] posted on 22-1-2006 at 12:52

MSDS for Women

image16.gif - 39kB
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 22-1-2006 at 14:35

I do not believe there are any girls intrested in chemistry at my school. Other fields of science I believe there are.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 22-1-2006 at 15:00

I know of a few girls into chem, one wants to do experiments at home but is not being allowed by her parents and the other is into inorganic chem, 'nothing bio related' in her words. Her parents are both chemists as well.
The latter is really attractive, and guess who is going out with her;).
The honours chem group at my Uni is 90% guys, 10% girls, grad students 80% guys, 20% girls, and general chem is about 65/35.
Numbers are aproximate based on what I have seen at department social functions, and for grad students they have pictures of them all on the internet.
I do know a lot of girls in bio related stuff though, I wonder exactly why girls are less dispositioned toward chem?

[Edited on 22-1-2006 by rogue chemist]

neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 22-1-2006 at 17:06

That MSDS was great. I haven't laughed like that in too long. :D
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 22-1-2006 at 19:05

I thought I had tracked down a local source of pure NaNO2 at a meat market where the owner was making his own sausage. When he brought out a pink powder I knew he didn't have what I wanted.

But he was trying to help me and we began talking. I said I needed it for a calibration as I was a chemist. He then began telling me about his 11 year-old daughter. He said she was nuts about chemistry, was reading high school chemistry texts, and wanted him to start buying her chemicals. I told him that his daughter was a rare person and that 11 years old was about the age I also began begging for a chemistry set. :D

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 22-1-2006 at 19:40

tsk tsk Magpie, you did not link her to this site:P.

But wow, 11 year old girl really into chem, that is rare, she is precious.:) I wonder how she got interested?

Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 23-1-2006 at 03:39

Where I study (Leiden, Netherlands) There are plenty of girls in chemistry-related topics but only three out of 30 in actual chemistry. Any theories as to why it goes like that? Do girls make their pick earlier in life? Or is chemistry just to theoretical to be of interest?

Btw, I agree with Vulture that once they dó get started on chemistry they do really good generally, I suppose because they are more determined to do good. It's kind of cute to see a girl come hopping out of the exam room because she just passed an easy test :P They just cheer things up.
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 23-1-2006 at 04:19

My GF was top of her year during her Chem degree - got about 90% and a 1st. Is now doing a PhD in Chem. :)
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 23-1-2006 at 10:50

But now the added question, how many girls do experiments and syntheses at home like many of us do ???

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quantized

[*] posted on 23-1-2006 at 11:01

Few or none I would say. My girlfriend has studied chem, she got very good grades (as good as I did, but hey we both got an 'A' and there isn't any further grade in which I could have done better, although at school during tests I did get great results, top of the class :P). I said did because now my girlfriend and I are in Med school, which also indicates good grades where I live, where only the 'best' are allowed to join ('best' is variable, people who do well in exams might be as stupid as a cucumber).

She does enjoy joining me when I'm doing some chemistry, which pleases me a lot. I usually do much of the work alone though, being the solitary type of guy. I've known only a couple of girls who actually went as far as titrating solutions and did some general salt analysis at home. My girlfriend is one of them - I sort of pushed her in, giving her small chemical samples and helping her where she didn't comprehend. I'm lucky.

Theory guides, experiment decides.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 23-1-2006 at 16:18

My wife says she has no idea of what I am doing in my lab or what I am talking about. :P

But we must not forget Madame Curie who was an outstanding chemist and a dedicated researcher. I saw a old movie on her a while ago. She and her husband laboriously took huge vats of solution down to one evaporating dish to isolate radium.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 23-1-2006 at 23:51

For me it is the same. My wife accepts things as long as they do not become too expensive, too dangerous or too smelly ;). She likes, however, the things I put on the web :).

Our youngest daughter (now 7.5 years old) has quite some interest in chemistry, and sometimes I do some nice experiments with her or let her play herself with some chems (e.g. NaHCO3, vinegar, sugar, salt, very dilute K4Fe(CN)6 and FeCl3 for blue colors). However, she never is allowed to do any chemistry on her own and she knows very well, that she may not go into my lab without me.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
mick
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-3-2006 at 15:46

Where I work as a technician there a girls and women all over the place. I work in the med chem labs (synthetic organic chemistry) but it is called medicinal chemistry research which is part of what was called the biomolecular research group and is now part of "inflammation and infection". Most of the women come from a biological or pharmaceutial background and move into chemistry even though chemistry is not mentioned.
Just read the autobiography of Rosalind Franklin, the dark lady of DNA. It just about sums up why there are not many women in chemistry.
mick

typo

[Edited on 3-3-2006 by mick]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top