Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Proposal: separate forum for schoolwork help
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-6-2009 at 15:49
Proposal: separate forum for schoolwork help

A forum site I occasionally read, All About Circuits (about electronics), has a forum (section) titled "Homework Help". I propose an analogous section here, titled the same or more generally "Schoolwork Help". The charter is simple. If you're asking a question because you're in school and need help with course work, the question goes here. The idea, very simply, is to sequester such questions into their own area where those who are so motivated can deal with them and others (such as me, usually) can ignore them.

The counter-argument is that "Beginnings" is already there and suffices. The problem is that the motivations of those asking schoolwork questions are different that those of amateur scientists. Right now, it all ends up in "Beginnings", intermixed. My motivation to participate has been lessened because I have less information about what motivates people. I have recently found myself not writing when otherwise I might have for this reason.

Furthermore, the kinds of questions that get asked about schoolwork tend to be quite specific, not open-ended, seeking an answer to a question their teacher has posed them, not one that they have come to wonder about themselves. The quality of discussion that comes from such queries is generally never as interesting or serendipitous as someone seeking understanding.

The lazy are always with us. I consider their queries a burden and a problem. I believe that I am not alone in feeling that this is a problem. I don't claim that this idea will eliminate the problem. But it would allow me to deal with it easier.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-6-2009 at 15:52

P.S. If there were an account option that would allow me to filter what fora showed up on the "Today's Posts" page, that would be great. (And not necessary for the actual proposal.)
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 21-6-2009 at 18:47

How about NO help for obvious homework? The forum is being deluged with such from one or two posters who have nothing to contribute. Warn them off, and if need be shut them out.

Lazy parastes ought not to be encouraged.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-6-2009 at 01:55

Quote: Originally posted by Sauron  
How about NO help for obvious homework? The forum is being deluged with such from one or two posters who have nothing to contribute. Warn them off, and if need be shut them out.

Lazy parastes ought not to be encouraged.

This is - generally - also my opinion. Border between advanced and not-advanced homeworks is illusive and very tin.
There are really very large amounts of homework chemistry on internet and there is no need to open such a cancerogenic subforum in THIS forum.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 22-6-2009 at 02:07

No one minded the occasional pedagogical question but these few people are abusing the forum and worse, they are not learning a damned thing except how to get others to do their classroom assignments for them. No one who answers them is helping them do anything but shirk.

It's like Fred & George Weasley selling Puking Pustules to help classmates get out of class by feigning illness.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2009 at 05:41

I didnt realise you were a fan of Harry Potter Sauron. However I have also noticed this problem of excessive homework-type questions being posted, especially by one certain user. I refrain from answering, but its just really getting on my tits to come on and see a new question posted so often, and they arent even keeping to the same thread - a new thread for every question it seems.

Go To Top