Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Welcome-Section?
quarkphotonect
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-3-2013 at 15:00

Yes! A welcome section, or uh sort of :P WELL!! I will introduce myself, My name is Robert Tucker, and man! I LOVE chemistry it is an obsession for me! Ever since I was young I have had a sparking interest in it, but only in mid high school when I topped the chemistry Class in the year above did my obsession really begin, from then on I just began voraciously learning chemistry, reading, thinking, figuring things out, studying and performing well, I had got to the Final stages of the chemistry olympiad Selection process, a week long training camp that ended in a practical and theoretical exam, The theory was fine great in fact, but man! the practical! :/ We had 3 hours to do 3 things, determine the amount of Iron in an iron tablet thru the determination of the molar absorbtivity of the iron complex we used via colorimetry, determination of Copper content in a Copper sulfate solution via titration, and synthesis of Prontosil. Well! Messed up the synthesis :P and as such lost a place in the final team of 4. That and me placing 1 mark behind the top chemistry scholar in the country ( so 2nd place in the Chemistry scholarship exam) have to be the biggest regrets of my life so far. I am currently studying Towards A Double Major in Chemistry and Pharmacology with a minor in biochemistry at the university of Otago in New Zealand.
confused
Hazard to Others

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 08:33

Hi guys, been lurking here for quite awhile...seemed time to make an acc. Currently studying molecular biotech in singapore, but with an interest in chemistry.
Acidum
Harmless

Mood: Sublimed

cool.gif posted on 2-5-2013 at 10:37

Greetings to all!

Since this comes closest to introduction themes usually present on forums I thought of making my first post here too.

I have been visiting this forum (and website) almost daily for some time now, reading thru old threads searching for more knowledge and experience. Finally time has come to step in the light and take part in sharing.

I love chemistry since I was very young (yes, I was one of those nerdy kids), and I have maintained a rising collection of chemicals and vessels which I speak of as my lab for many years. I live and work in Serbia. I studied chemistry (organic) on Faculty of Chemistry in Belgrade, and today I work as analyst in a private company (this comes to be my second workplace in same branch). Practicing same area of interest both amateur and professional is very plausible, and every approach has its own benefits.

I am mostly interested in syntheses. I am also interested in energetic materials, but not as much in commercial pyrotechnics as in propulsion, rocketry and (of course) explosions and flame (magical combination, heh). When it comes to different areas of chemistry, my interests should follow next gradient: organic>inorganic=analytical>industrial>biochemistry>rest. I am also very fond of physics, electronics and space sciences, but not at all of mathematics (only the necessary stuff)...

As for experimenting, I am currently in a stall. My appetites for cleaner chemicals have risen with the rise of knowledge, and now I am gathering what is necessary for purifications. Serbia, btw, is very bad place for science (pro and amateur), but I will discuss that in another theme.

Acidum

[edit] I have almost forgot, I have no interest in physiologically active compounds. :P

[Edited on 2-5-2013 by Acidum]

...and then I disappeared in the mist...
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 2-5-2013 at 11:37

Good to see you here finally after some troubles with the forum software. :)
I'm looking forward to see your contributions to the forums. Having new members with true interest in science is a good thing.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Fenir
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-5-2013 at 17:19

Hello Sciencemaddness Forum,
I am have visited the forum for quite some time now, and just created an account. I yearn for more knowlage in the field of Chemisty. I am particularly interested in inorganic chemistry.

-Fenir
amazingchemistry
Hazard to Others

Mood: Excited

smile.gif posted on 7-5-2013 at 20:31
Hello Fellow Chem Nerds

I think the username says everything. I have been interested in chemistry for quite a while now (although I wasn't the type to make smokes and bangs and a kid). I particularly enjoy physical and synthetic chemistry. My schooling has been truncated a little bit, as I had to go to work before completing my bachelor's. Luckily I found work at a small chemical company and I'm loving every second of it. The plans are to enter a graduate program for pchem within the next 5 years, and start saving for the eventual purchase of lab space, reagents and equipment. I'm 25, so I'd say I have a bit of time to accomplish that :)
DeadHead
Harmless

Mood: Sublimating

smile.gif posted on 9-5-2013 at 13:19

Hello all, I'm DeadHead. I have always had a fascination with chemistry and science. I recently found this board while going on my wild knowledge quests on google, and it struck a chord. I hadn't thought much about chemistry since high school and it got me hooked again. My background lies in computers and electronics, with tesla coils a previous mad science endeavor. I may have to start hand winding again and dig up the cap bank.

[Edited on 9-5-2013 by DeadHead]
Metathesis-izer
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-6-2013 at 05:06

Hi

I've been reading Science Madness for a while. Thank you for the education !

It seems like most of the reactions I do involve Metathesis, e.g. KNO3 + H2SO4 to get HNO3 and KHSO4.

I got started on that from GoldRefiningForum.com.

One of my first questions is about the KHSO4 by-product of the nitric acid production process. I guess I'll have to find the "Is it safe to put it on the compost pile" section. :D

Best Regards,

Metathesis-izer
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Untopped
11-7-2013 at 09:16
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 07:53

Greetings,

Not quite sure how I originally found this board (been lurking for a while) but I am glad I did.

I am a 50 year old semi-nomadic "drop-out" for lack of a better term, a voracious reader, and somewhat of a misanthrope....I also live in what I consider paradise, the Mojave Desert! (right by Joshua Tree N.P.)

And this daggum place has had me up all night reading threads from start to finish--damn all your hides for having interesting things to say!

Ark
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top