Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Purchasing chemicals and lab equipment on Ebay...
SweetNLow
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-12-2003 at 18:32
Purchasing chemicals and lab equipment on Ebay...

Has anyone experienced any problems when purchasing lab supplies and chemicals on EBay? I was browsing on Ebay last night and I was able to find many List II chemicals being sold. Moreover, in some states, like Texas, there are laws against owning special types of glassware, like 3-neck boiling flasks, but sure enough I found a few of them being sold.

Has anyone ordered any chems and lab stuff but had problems later on?

It's just something to think about because it seems so easy to point and click, but you may regret it later.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 18-12-2003 at 19:03

Are you serious???? Laws against special types of glasware?? Serioulsly, I think thats f***ed up.
Although I am not American, I wouldn't care that much personally, if they offer it on Ebay, then thousands of people are potential buyers, and do you honestly think they would check everyone up; people who bought 'illegal' glasware ??
The Americans should rather concentrate on finding Osama, than spending tax payers money on stupid glasware, or fighting illegal wars in Iraq.....

Edit: OOps, I apologise, this is clearly not something I should say here... it's too political... but done bun can't be undone :)... sorry next time that goes into Whimsy.

[Edited on 19-12-2003 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Turel
Hazard to Others

Mood: Thixotropic

[*] posted on 18-12-2003 at 19:10
Ive dealtwith this before, too

Yes, you do need to be careful when ordering illegal glassware from ebay. Speak with the auction holder and ask about how it is shipped etc.

If UPS knows that you are ordering a 3-neck RBF and a sohxlet extractor to a TX home residential address, they can and often will report suspicious activity to the local law enforcement.

-T
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 18-12-2003 at 19:22

Go to google, search in the groups, something like "texas glassware law" and you will see the state of things there. Possession of basically any unregistered glassware is breaking the law, bringing unregistered glassware across state lines is against the law.

In Ohio 3 neck flasks are illegal, but usually as eBay goes no one at the post office knows whats in the package and the average seller doesnt care where the package goes so you can pick just about anything up, but you are responsible for your own actions.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
trinitrotoluene
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid

[*] posted on 19-12-2003 at 17:25

I had also found certain coltrolled chemicals thats also found on ebay, anyone noticed that red phosphous is also sold on ebay, last time it checked the bid was up to $2,000 for 500 grams:o

TNT
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-12-2003 at 04:29

Why would anyone offer $2000 for something worth about $30, unless they wanted it for something ilegal?
I wonder if the various security services round the world keep an eye on ebay?
Thermal
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-1-2004 at 08:48

Ebay's policy is such that if you fax them a request on "law enforecement" letterhead - they'll tell you everything about anyone.

Look it up.

Not that i'm saying it's not a good place to get certian things.
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 31-1-2004 at 09:50
my ebay experiences

I have purchased DOZENS of lab items off ebay. Most of what I get is not regulated but a couple items have been. Some vendors I have developed a deep sense of trust and I dont get questioned . Mostly I buy solvents, common inorganics, and the occasional caustic. The only real risk I feel is ordering from another country. I the items are marked ORM-D or hazardous otherwise and they go through customs, OH man watch out! Sadly I do not see many european auctions for these but that could always change in the future. But, in any case, the thing to concern yourself with is to be aware of where you are having these shipped to and what the laws are. If you are a chemical fanatic and you live in Texas, MOVE. I mean really all that is there is cow pastures, 108 degree summer heat, and like 15% unemployment!

[Edited on 1/31/2004 by chloric1]

Fellow molecular manipulator
CommonScientist
Harmless

Mood: Tense

[*] posted on 8-2-2004 at 19:56

I have just purchased 7 beakers off of ebay, and I will let you know if anything happened to them , since they are being shipped from Washington state via UPS;). I purchased a buret from ebay a while ago and the dispensing tip was broken off when I got it, so I told the guy that I bought it from and he sent me a new one free of charge, how lucky is that , I now have 2 burets, one that is perfect, and one that is broken but can still be used. :D

\"rules are for the guidence of the wise, and the blind obedience of fools\"
CommonScientist
Harmless

Mood: Tense

[*] posted on 13-2-2004 at 16:17

As I promised - The beakers were fine to my joy:cool:. They packaged them nicely- there was like 5 fragile stickers on the box. WHen I opened it there was a mountain of packing peanuts to fish through. When I got to the first beaker I found that it was wrapped in buble wrap. They did a great job UPS proofing it.:P

www.Macnanbio.com - Thats were I got them from. Some of it is overpriced, but some are good deals.

(Dont yell at me for double posting - I did what I said in my last post)

\"rules are for the guidence of the wise, and the blind obedience of fools\"

Go To Top