Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Monomethylation of primary amines: N-methyl-2-phenethylamine
Klute
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-7-2009 at 07:11
Monomethylation of primary amines: N-methyl-2-phenethylamine

Introduction:

After trying a few different methods, I have found what I beleive is the best way of preparing secondary N-methyl amines from primary amines without any tertiary amine formation, or quaternary ammonium salts.

I have tried in the past: alkylation of sulfonamides or formamides followed by hydrolysis, formation of the formamide and reduction by LiAlH4, alkyaltion by trimethylphosphate, all where tedious or yield mixtures of products.

The procedure I followed is from J. Med. Chem, (2)15, 214 (1972) link, simialr to Org. Syn. 5, 758 (1973)

The benzaldimine is formed condensing benzaldehyde with the primary amine, using a Dean stark to remove the formed water. The prepared aldimine is then methylated, forming a quaternary iminium salt. this salt is then hydrolyzed, liberating the N-methylated amine salt and benzaldehyde. No over methylation can occur as long as all the methylating agent is consumed before hydrolysis. I used methyl tosylate and dimethyl sulfate as methylating agents, both with great success, albeit DMS takes much less time to complete the reaction.

Experiemental:

Preparation of N-methyl-2-phenethylamine

Step 1: N-benzylidenephenethylamine

In a 250mL 4-neck RBF equipped with a Dean Stark trap and a condenser, a thermometer and magnetic stirring is charged 12.6mL (100mmol) 2-phenethylamine, followed by 30mL toluene. 12.6mL (125mmol) of benzaldehyde are then added. After a minute there is a exothermic reaction, and the initially limpid solution turns turbid as water is formed. The mixture is heated to reflux until no more water is collected int he trap (1H30). 1.8mL (100mmol) of water are collected, hence total conversion to the aldimine. The flask is cooled down in the water bath.

Step 2: N-benzylidene-N-methylphenethylammonium tosylate or methylsulfate

The Dean Stark trap is removed and replaced by a condenser. A solution of 19.5g (105 mmol) of methyl tosylate (Or equimolar amount of dimethylsulfate) in 20mL toluene is added dropwise. Once the addition is complete, the flask is gently heated to reflux.
After a few minutes with DMS (an hour with MeOTs) a dark orange oil seperates out. Upon cooling this oil cristallizes. Heating is continued for h with DMS, overnight with MeOTs.

Step 3: N-methylphenethylamine

25mL of water are then added, and the mixture heated to 80°C for 30min. the oil is dissolved in the aqueous layer. The flask is cooled to room temperature, and its contents transfered to a seperating funnel. The top organic layer is seperated, and washed with 25mL water. The combined aqueous are washed with 3*25mL DCm, which removes most of the yellow color.The oragnics are backwashed with 2*25mL water, and the combined aqueous are basified with conc. KOH. A slightly yellow oil with a strong amine odor seperates. It is extracted with 3*25mL DCM, the extracts washed with brine, dried and evaporated. The crude amine contains traces of impurity by TLC (4:1 AcOEt:MeOH + Et3N), and can be purified by distillation.
A alternative is to directly steam distill the amine from the basified aqueous layer. This amine is very volatil with steam, and only 100mL distillate will carry over all the colorless amine, pur by TLC.

A hinsberg (tosyl chloride in aq. NaOH) test is negative for either primary or tertiary amines.

The yields have been routinely over 95%, both with MeOTs and DMS.

This procedure is very efficient and can be adapted to a variety of priamry amines. You can put that CsCO3 away!

[Edited on 19-7-2009 by Klute]

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-7-2009 at 22:42

Thanks a lot!
That's so much more home-chemistry friendly than the classic method (amide + LAH).
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2009 at 00:57

Yes! Much less tedious reaction conditions, and better yields! I wonder why this method isn't more popular in the litterature...

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
Ullmann
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-8-2009 at 12:47

Good work Klute!

Barium
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-8-2009 at 16:16

Klute, have you tried to monoalkylate 2-PEA with a equimolar amount of paraformaldehyde, using toluene and a Dean-Stark to form the imine, and then reducing it with sodium borohydride?
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2009 at 02:09

No, but i did try using hydrogen gas and Pd/C with sluggish results... the imine forms very quickly, the reaction is exothermic. Have a look in the mono-methylation thread for the experimental data.

-Alice Parr
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 21-8-2009 at 16:19

well have you cosidered the cesium promoted/mediated mono n-alkylation of primary amines?
or evena method where formaldehydeis condensed onto the amine and reduced insitu ina sodium phoshate bufered solution?
this is much easier to do.
it's similar to the steve TM reduction where zinc catalyses a hydride transfer in the reduction of the imine thenapo4 is there to buffer the formic acid produced.
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-8-2009 at 13:34

Cesium carbonate is pretty expensive and none-recyclable.. It's a good method for a few mmols of a specific amine, but not a preparative option.

I'm sceptical the zinc method would produce only monomethylamines. Even with one eq of paraformaldehyde you get some dimethylamine using the Pd/C method. In a more acidic envinronement, I think the secondary imine would form even quickier.

-Alice Parr
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 22:30

perhaps you are right but formaldimes are pretty stable entities and they tend to form at wider ph ranges.
also i recall that cth's tend to be favored in basic enviroments,
water has to split into ions for it to undergo insertion into the carbon centre of the formaldehyde.
i imagine the situation is more complex but i remember the analogy of the different formate salts and the more electropositive the cation the formate ion was bound to the more readly transfer hydrogenation procedds

[Edited on 4-9-2009 by jon]
aliced25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-5-2013 at 19:07

How about 3/4A sieves to remove the water and vanillian as the benzaldehyde? Should work no?

From a Knight of the Realm: "Animated movies are not just for kids, they're also for adults who do a lot of drugs." Sir Paul McCartney
Satan
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-12-2013 at 10:42

How to proceed if we would like to introduce to our primary amine both benzyl and methyl groups? N-benzylidene-N-methyl-2-phenylethylammonium tosylate is easly separated crystalline solid, stable when kept under dry conditions.

Dose anyone have experience in hydrogenation of such spiecies?
My thoughts are sodium borohydride or PtO<sub>2</sub> under H<sub>2</sub>.
Pt on activated carbon would be reusable and easly separated for recovery, maybe someone can share experience in preparing this catalyst from chloroplatinic acid?

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=95371&a...
In this pdf author states that in his experience Pt would not catalyze hydrogenolysis of N-benzyl group. Monomethylation of phenylethylamine is also discussed.

Go To Top