Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: nitration
Maggie
Harmless

Mood: busy

[*] posted on 22-12-2003 at 01:47
nitration

Can someone help me with mononitration of p-methoxy phenol in o-position?
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2003 at 04:39

Which o position o to OH or to OCH3?
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-12-2003 at 06:41

The OCH3 is also activating and o-p directing. Specific o nitration would be a pain in the neck; you will get both isomers. Once you have a nitro group on the molecule it will be rather less reactive so mononitration might not be too difficult.

You could get more specific nitration by deprotonating it, (O- is a much better activating group than OMe or OH), reacting with a diazonium ion in basic conditions, reductive cleavage of the N N bond and then oxidation of the amine to give a nitro compound but the yield would be lousy, particularly at the last stage.
Why do you want to nitrate the stuff?
Geomancer
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-12-2003 at 17:09

In a paper "Nitration of Phenols Under Mild and Heterogeneous Conditions" M. A. Zolfigol et al. claim to have done this in 84% yield using Mg(HSO4)2 and NaNO3 on wet SiO2 in DCM. The reaction appears general for phenols and suitable for amateur use.
The work was published in the online journal "Molecules" 2001, 6, 614-620, available from http://www.mdpi.org.
Maggie
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-12-2003 at 01:34

I have tried the magnesium bisulphate process given by Zolfigol, but without success.Does anybody has practically worked on mononitration of phenols?
Maggie
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-12-2003 at 02:51
nitration

I have followed the experimental procedure given in the paper and the product after reaction completion,which I have isolated,purified and characterised by GC-MS turned out to be a dinitro compound. I have tried other reagent i.e. sodium bisulphate with similar results.
I have also tried changing reaction parameters viz.temp. solvent, mode of addition etc. but the results are not encouraging.
Geomancer
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-12-2003 at 11:13

Interesting. Are you saying that the procedure prefers substitution on the mononitro compound to the original? If so, do you have any theories as to why this happens, seeing as the nitration product should be less electron rich?
Seeing as Zolfigol specifically mentions this compound, you should probably discuss your difficulties with him, as well.
Maggie
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-12-2003 at 00:38
nitration

Yes!It is really very interesting that formation of dinitro is preferred over mononitro compound,as presence of one nitro group is supposed to deactivate the ring to some extent.But, right now I cant think of any other explanation than that its the two groups -OCH3 and -OH, para to each other,are playing the trick,making the ring active enough for the dinitro to be the major compound.Anyway its a good suggestion to interact with Mr.Zolfigol himself.Thanks!

Go To Top