Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: aspirin to benzaldehyde?
kerousel
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-8-2009 at 14:33
aspirin to benzaldehyde?

If one were to use water to hydrolyse aspirin and make salicylic acid, could one then use HI + P to reduce the two OH groups on salicylic acid and make benzaldehyde?

If not that then the only other way I can think of is to use PI3 to convert the OH to I and then LiAlH4... but that will also reduce the ketone which you'll have to oxidize back...

[Edited on 23-8-2009 by kerousel]
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-8-2009 at 14:36

No. Neither the phenol group, nor the carboxylic acid group are aliphatic alcohols. Check a basic organic chemistry text.

PS: beginnings was the right place for this question.
kerousel
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-8-2009 at 14:47

I wasn't sure about the one on the benzene ring, but I'm pretty sure that the OH on the carboxyl will reduce... if not with HI + P, then by converting to R-I with PI3 and following with lithium al hydride... I've seen it in many places examples of this.

[Edited on 23-8-2009 by kerousel]
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-8-2009 at 15:51

There are better ways to produce benzaldehyde.

Going via aspirin, if it is possible at all, is absolutely not worth it.

Look up the manganese persulfate oxidation, there are a couple of those threads floating around, one being the toluene -> benzaldehyde thread.

kerousel
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-8-2009 at 18:46

Oh ok then, just seemed like it would be easy, plus I've got aspirin, idk where to get toulene... well I guess you can still get phenol from aspirin...

I still think it's doable though... like ok phenol + phosphorous pentachloride makes phenyl chloride- so that OH is replaceable with halogens, just like the OH on the carboxyl should be... LiAlH4 should replace the halogens with hydrogens (although it would probably also reduce the ketone to OH so you'll have to oxidize it back with KMnO4 or something)

I just thought you could skip the LiAlH4 and KMnO4 by using HI + P instead...
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-8-2009 at 19:13

How is it you can get LiAlH4, KMnO4, PCl5, HI and P but not know where to get toluene?

Jesus.. you are in one crazy country lol

Toluene can be had at most stores, especially home and garden stores or at least online. Its only 10-15 dollars a gallon. A lot cheaper then aspirin per mole.

KMnO4 generally oxidizes all the way too carboxylic acid so that won't work.

COOH, is a completely different functional group then is OH, The "OH" on the carboxyl doesn't act at all like the OH of phenol or other alcohols at all to my understanding. Also the carbonyl in the carboxyl doesn't act at all like an aldehyde, or a ketone.

Benzaldehyde from aspirin is crazy.

[Edited on 24-8-2009 by kclo4]

kerousel
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-8-2009 at 19:51

oh, ok lol. Guess I still have quite to learn. Wait do they sell toulene like next to acetone at household stores? Will have to pay a visit there then. Ah I can't remember, I can almost imagine an acetone-like tin can saying "toulene" on it. Although I thought it was like a drug precursor or something so hard to get...

And no unfortunately I don't have LiAlH4 or KMnO4, I only have HI, I2, P and PI3. But I wouldn't have went through that amount of trouble with hydride and permanganate anyways, I thought it would be doable with just HI + P. Oh well. Thanks.

Edit: btw, If I do find toulene, do you know if ammonium or sodium persulfate can be used instead of manganese persulfate? Because an electronics store near by sells 1kg bottles of it as crystal powder. I bought it once, it makes paper burn very energetically! drop a piece of steel in a water solution of it, and the steel will dissapear into a reddish brownish green solution!

[Edited on 24-8-2009 by kerousel]
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-8-2009 at 20:05

Yessir its by the other solvents generally speaking.

Various persulfates work, it seems this site and the the vespiary is getting to be riddled with manganese persulfate threads, as well as the manganese ammonium alum, possible other persulfates such as manganese sodium persulfate, etc.

Recently I did a little electrolysis of an unpartitioned cell of NaHSO4 and MnSO4 and it turned into a dark red/brown color that can oxidize alcohols, and even chlorides to produce chlorine! both the electrodes were graphite. I only did this for about then minutes though.. so I produced very little. It appeared MnO2 formed on one of the graphite rods, but I cannot be sure.

.. anyways my point is go look for the threads :)

Cuauhtemoc
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-8-2009 at 20:12

Toluene is not a drug precursor, but it can obviously be used by "cookers" as a solvent to get ephedrine from pills.
KMnO4 is also easy to get, I think you can buy it at any drugstore.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-8-2009 at 20:14

Also in the old threads is the conversion of styrene to benzaldehyde, and styrene can be had in decent yield by heating scrape polystyrene - resin/recycling code #6 or PS.

kerousel
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-8-2009 at 20:19

Alright KClO4, you're right I'll definitely have to do some more research into this...

Siddy
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-8-2009 at 20:36

Real reason for toluene taken off the shelves across europe and in many other countries it that its been moved up a level on the teratogen scale.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness
Thread Moved
23-8-2009 at 21:54
kerousel
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-8-2009 at 11:34

Quote: Originally posted by not_important  
Also in the old threads is the conversion of styrene to benzaldehyde, and styrene can be had in decent yield by heating scrape polystyrene - resin/recycling code #6 or PS.

I found another way of polystyrene>styrene first hand today- was carrying a bit of gasoline in a styrofoam cup, when suddenly the lower half of it falls through right onto my floor... after the gasoline evaporated there was a very sticky residue left
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-8-2009 at 12:46

The gas only dissolved the polystyrene, it did not depolymerize it.
If it is sticky it is likely not all of the gasoline has evaporated.

If you find the link to the styrene to benzaldehyde thread I'd be interested in looking at it. Is it at all practical?

kerousel
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-8-2009 at 13:53

oh yeah you're right it's not sticky anymore- just like a semi-hard resin.

after some google searches, i think the easiest styrene to benzaldehyde is "H2O2 + formic acid". all the other one's i've seen require strange metal oxide catalysts, etc.

kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-8-2009 at 14:11

Yeah, neither seem very appealing. H2O2 and formic acid aren't the most OTC thing in the world, and that is after you make the styrene from the PS.

entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 24-8-2009 at 14:46

Quote: Originally posted by kclo4  
Yeah, neither seem very appealing. H2O2 and formic acid aren't the most OTC thing in the world, and that is after you make the styrene from the PS.

30% H2O2 is OTC as wood bleach at the hardware store.

HCOOH is easily made from oxalic acid and glycerin. Both are OTC, oxalic acid as, once again wood bleach at the hardware store. In some places HCOOH is OTC as scale remover.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 24-8-2009 at 14:48

Even farther off topic Styrene monomer is over the counter(body resin) as is formic acid(wood stripper) and 35% hydrogen peroxide as well. If the process produces good yeilds given the avalibility of Benzaldahyde I would think its worth it.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-8-2009 at 14:51

Interesting, I've been unable to locate oxalic acid or H2O2 under any circumstances where I am located. Well, besides the oxalic acid in bar keepers friend which is a pain for me to extract when I have other things to do.

I didn't know about the H2O2 as a wood bleach. I'll have to keep my eyes open, same goes for the HCOOH as a scale remover. What do mean by scale?

entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 24-8-2009 at 14:57

I think it's scale in tea kettles, from calcium deposits from hard water. But I haven't seen that product here. But the hardware store has pure (tech grade, no additives) oxalic and 35% H2O2.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 24-8-2009 at 15:08

Other places to look:

oxalic acid: paint store
35% H2O2: helath food store

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-8-2009 at 15:09

Thank you very much!
Why on earth would 35% H2O2 be in a health food store?

kerousel
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-8-2009 at 15:32

Well if you don't find it, you can always dissolve oxi-clean (sodium percarbonate) in hot water to make like 20% h2o2. If you add hcl to it that could make it higher yet by reducing carbonate ions...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_percarbonate

[Edited on 25-8-2009 by kerousel]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 24-8-2009 at 15:48

Quote:

Why on earth would 35% H2O2 be in a health food store?

I've been told it is used for sterilizing hydroponics equipment.

The oxalic acid is used as a wood bleach.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 24-8-2009 at 16:20

To answer that quote, the stuff I get from the healthfood store is used as a safe alternative to NaOCl and bromine tabs for cleaning spas and hottubes. I use it all the time around the house instead of using bleach because I think it works better and don't stink to all hell.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top