Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rare Earth Products inc
Ahab
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-11-2009 at 15:42
Rare Earth Products inc

Hi Everyone,

I was asked by my research supervisor to find the cheapest reliable source for some catalyst since our grant money is apparently nearly tapped. I found this source, and figured I'd let him know about it. He had reservations because of the appearance of the website and because he'd never heard of them before, but proceded with the order- even though it was only $10 cheaper than strem.

He's been off sick, but apparently after placing the order last week, no charge has been added to his credit card and no emails have been sent. I'm getting a little heat from him for this because he used his own credit card as a sort of 'direct donation' to mostly my research efforts. We've waited on shipments from strem for a long time before, but the billing has always gone through right away. Maybe i'm being paranoid here, but it'll be my ass if this company turns out to not be legit and his credit card info gets exposed/stolen.

Anyone have any experience with this company?

Bolt
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-11-2009 at 17:51

why not just call them.

http://www.rareearthproducts.com/contact/contact.htm
devongrrl
Hazard to Self

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 20-11-2009 at 01:16

From the appearance of the website it screams SCAM to me :(

Bolt
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-11-2009 at 12:12

it doesn't scream scam to me, just a nineties webmaster
densest
Hazard to Others

Mood: slowly warming to strain point

[*] posted on 20-11-2009 at 12:38

The picture on the home page is of a real place and the phone number corresponds to the town. Probably a very small company. Call them & see what's up - they may have to make or package the stuff, or only ship one day a week.
Ahab
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 11:41
Perfectly Legit

Just to follow up; the catalyst was received in record time, packaged very well, and certainly pure enough to carry out the reaction we needed it for.

The only problem with this company is they're not the best with communication (i.e. don't answer emails regularly or at all, don't return calls reliably) but are top notch with respect to product quality, shipping times, and cost.

I would highly recommend them, just don't expect to hear much from them after you place your order online.

I'm now back on the 'good list' of the lab boss, thank god

Cheers,
Ahab

Go To Top