Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Products from Ca benzoate and Ca propionate
FriendlyFinger
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 18:37
Products from Ca benzoate and Ca propionate

Besides P1P, what do you think are all the possible products from a dry distillation of Ca Benzoate and Ca propionate?
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 18:56

benzene, biphenyl, diethyl ketone and maybe some ethane.

p.s. I don't know a lot about this chemistry but I would expect the calcium salts to be a bad choice because I believe they decompose before they melt. I would expect if one or both salts melted before decomposition they would be more likely to interact with one another and allow for greater formation of the crossed ketone.

[Edited on 12-3-2009 by smuv]

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop
unome
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 23:09

UTFSE - hang on, just back up a little and have a look at the other threads on this first page of the "Organic Chemistry" sub-forum...

You might, fuck that, WILL, find that two of them (at least) deal with the reaction you are asking about (the SPECIFIC reaction you are asking about at that).

As you are asking about P1P did you think checking the "Ephedrine from Propiophenone" (Propiophenone being the correct terminology for P1P) or the "Thermal Decarboxylation - Alkyl Phenyl Ketones" (given that is EXACTLY what you are talking about?) threads?

The whole shebang is listed there for you... The relevant journal articles are not only cited, they are provided (if they aren't a friendly request in the relevant topic will get them, a lot of people have them saved). They give yields, everything, including IIRC the byproducts/etc. of the thermal route and a couple of very interesting articles on the mechanics thereof.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 3-12-2009 at 08:27

Use the search engine before posting and don't use drug cook acronyms! And post referenceless questions only in the Beginnings section. Why do I have to repeat the same basic rules over and over? :mad:
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
3-12-2009 at 08:28

Go To Top