Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What do I do next?
Wolfram
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-1-2004 at 11:48
What do I do next?

Im soon finished with my master deg. in molecular biology. What would you do next if your were me? How much does a molecular biologist earn in US?
I would like to do spectacular things, but Im not really sure which area will be most spectacular in the future. Molecular genetics, pharmacology, immunology?
Please give me any advice you have...
Thanx.
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 4-1-2004 at 20:39

A little searching and I found this site. http://www.bioinfoinstitute.com/positionlevel.htm Those figures are pretty consistant with what other sites I've found. You could probably expect to make something like $35 to $40 thousand a year as a first year employee.

Personally its hard to tell which field of biology based research will really take off. With the completion of the human genome project, there are going to be some huge discoveries happening in the upcoming years. All those fields listed should be pretty exciting. I've always had an interest in genetics, so thats probably the route I'd go. Just go where you think you could accomplish the most important things, or have the most fun in your work. Remember, if you ever win the Nobel Prize, don't forget your roots at Science Madness:D.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Wolfram
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 05:42
Thank you dear Sir.

Thanx. Do you know any good page to search for research and biotech jobs?
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 06:34

If I was you, I would, first of all, start a PhD. In this field of science, you wont get anywhere with out those two letters in front of your name.
I once worked in industry for a bit (enzyme technology), and met a number of people without PhDs. Most said, 'if you want to continue doing biochemistry after your degree, do a PhD, else you will end up doing what I have been doing for the past 20 years'. Fact is, it is much harder to ever become a group leader etc without a PhD, to have a remotely senior position, or to have any impact on research directions to take.
Also, have you done practical work before? Like, for a year or so? Before you start a proper job, try this first, and see if you like it. Not everyone likes practical work, and some hate it!

PS Everyone likes to do spectacular things... but you will be very lucky indeed to do some! It very much depends on your subject area, on your supervisor etc, and MUCH less on your own intellect... at least in the beginning of your career.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
gritty_cryst
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-1-2004 at 08:54

Quote:

Most said, 'if you want to continue doing biochemistry after your degree, do a PhD, else you will end up doing what I have been doing for the past 20 years'

What was it exactly that they had been doing for the past 20 years?
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 13-1-2004 at 09:04

They always worked as research technicians (making buffers, doing simple experiments etc, while the cool stuff was left to Drs), with no powers whatsoever, even though they were clearly creative/clever enough to have more senior positions! I dont mean to say that everyone has to be power hungry or something, but it is definitely nicer to be able chose your OWN direction you'd like your research to take, rather than having to always do what someone with those silly two letters tells you.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Lugh
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-1-2004 at 09:59

I must agree with the chemical lion, PhD is the best route to go if you can, it gives you tons of options later.
On the subject of direction - you can't loose in the pharmacology direction, especially pharmacogenetics, it's seems like a bright prospect for the next decade or so.
After studying immunology myself I would recomend it, v. interesting and you can steer for clinical or pure science.
Then again you could purchase a nice bong and wake up when your 65;)
ahlok2002
Hazard to Self

Mood: peace

[*] posted on 13-1-2004 at 11:09

study for youself or for others!?
you should the answer before as you took this field as your major study!
how much you can earn or should you ask how much you can contribute with the things you had learn for the scince of wold.
just keep the spirit of learning and many things are waiting to discover and you will not feel to continue study just ti get the name of 'Phd', sound better !
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top