Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I need oxone
ANDLOS
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-12-2009 at 11:46
I need oxone

I need oxone which is potassium peroxy monosulfate but i try to buy it form acros organics but shipping to my country is to slow what can i make ??
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-12-2009 at 12:04

While no one wants you to write a novel, you need to provide more information if you expect help.

- First, what do you need oxone for? Some oxidation reaction? Someone might be able to suggest an alternative.
- Second, how much do you need? What reagents and equipment do you have? If you intend to make some, I believe this is normally done by partial neutralization of peroxymonosulfuric acid (Caro's acid) with KOH, which in turn can be produced by reacting concentrated sulfuric acid and concentrated hydrogen peroxide (Piranha solution). However I have no idea about yield or how one would isolate the product.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 19-12-2009 at 15:31

How about just buying it in a supermarket? It might not be of the same purity as reagent grade, but at least it is way cheaper and most likely of satisfactory quality for whatever you need it for.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 19-12-2009 at 16:14

Supermarket Nicodem? I buy mine at the pool shop but I have never seen it in the supermarket for anything and Im a compulsive label reader. I have alot of Oxone right now but if needed I would sure like to know of any brand I could get next time I got out to get a loaf of bread.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 20-12-2009 at 02:31

Where I live we do not have anything even closely resembling a "pool shop". All such stuff is sold in the big stores at the shopping moles. We do have specialized stores, but having one specialized just for pools is something I would expect to find only in California or some weird place like that.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 20-12-2009 at 07:24

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
All such stuff is sold in the big stores at the shopping moles.

Ah! . . .The true chemist. . .
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-12-2009 at 07:49

LOL yeh that is pretty funny, must be a freudian slip or something:P.

No major chain sells anything of the sorts like that where im at on the east coast. Instead we have a couple local pool and spa supply stores. When in season much can be picked up from Homedepot or Lowes but other then that theres not really much around in the way of pool supplys. Kind of sad really because I want some more NaBr to work with and do not feel like waiting till next summer to stock up.

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 20-12-2009 at 18:58

Ammonium and sodium persulphate are quite widely available as PCB etching agents.
I can buy 500g of GPR grade for ca £10 including P&P.
This should be adequate for most purposes.
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-12-2009 at 19:37

Walmart sells it last time I checked...
ANDLOS
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-12-2009 at 00:29

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceSquirrel  
Ammonium and sodium persulphate are quite widely available as PCB etching agents.

IS it sufficient for oxidative cyclization of heterocycle like benzimidazole ??
xwinorb
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-12-2009 at 03:15
Oxone aquisition

A few years ago I saw both Oxone and NaBr sold at Lowes, which is a hardware, home and garden store chain in CA, USA. Both at the pool supply section.

I bought one pack of the NaBr, still have is, aproximately 3 kg.

[ CORRECTION : Both the Oxone and the NaBr were available in 3 lb units, plastic cylinder 3 in x 12 in. The NaBr was 98 % pure. I looked at the Web site of the company that made it, both products were discontinued. Also no longer seen at Lowes. Post edited by Xw ]

Much cheaper than buying it at a chemical supplier, good quality.

Last time I checked it, months ago, none no longer available.

I think your best bet will still be a chemical supplier, not impossible you still find it at a pool store but more difficult I guess. I think they are replacing Oxone with other substances.

[Edited on 22-12-2009 by xwinorb]
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 21-12-2009 at 04:21

Quote: Originally posted by ANDLOS  
Quote: Originally posted by ScienceSquirrel  

IS it sufficient for oxidative cyclization of heterocycle like benzimidazole ??

Can't really answer that one but it is ca 98% pure and readily available.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sodium-Persulphate-Clear-PCB-Etchant-E...

Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2009 at 10:12

The oxidations I have seen appear to state the use of H2O2 and acetic anhydride to yeild benzimidazolones.

Abstract can be found here on the first few hits of google
http://www.springerlink.com/content/uwur70264v0r1q17/

You stated in your PMs to me ANDLOS that you are a researcher yet you seem to be having a very hard time doing any real research on your own. Perhaps its time to pick up a book, beit chemistry or a phone book, and either find the chemicals your looking for or learn how to make them. There are almost always more then one road to the final product and I suggest you look and see what else you can use before wasting precious time looking for something when you could simply substitute something you already have.

And NO! Im not selling you my Oxone BTW. I don't feel I trust you enough for that to ever happen.

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2009 at 13:50

I have had a check around and persulphate or persulfate depending on how you wish to spell it is widely available as the ammonium, sodium and potassium salts.
This material is Oxone.
Anyone with an eBay account or who can deal with PCB fabrication suppliers can buy it.
I regularly buy all sorts of stuff but I can prove that I am over eighteen, I am technically qualified and I have a legitimate and credible reason to obtain the materials.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2009 at 14:21

Persulfates are not Oxone. Or rather it depends what persulfate you are talking about. "Persulfate" generally refers to peroxodisulfate, eg. Na2S2O8, such as the PCB etchant you talk of. Oxone is a different material altogether; 2KHSO5.KHSO4.K2SO4. The active component is also a "persulfate", this time peroxomonosulfate, e.g. NaHSO5.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2009 at 15:10

|Oops, best to check the label and the analysis and do your own calculations when it comes to molarity.
But there are a lot of papers out there where Oxone is switched for persulphate and the chemistry still works.

Go To Top