Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ammonium bisulphate?
thereelstory
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-1-2010 at 09:37
ammonium bisulphate?

any one have an idea for a prep for this? ultimately looking to prep h202. any suggestions?
thanks in advance.

UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 24-1-2010 at 11:29

Ammonia + H2SO4. Ta-da!

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 24-1-2010 at 11:45

A quick search on the net revealed that ammonium bisulfate is formed during thermal decomposition of ammonium sulfate at 100 degrees Celsius in an open system, which simplifies the synthesis.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 25-1-2010 at 01:13

I have made around 100 grams of this compound, and I found it to be amazingly hygroscopic. Even in a closed vessel the crystals, sticking to the glass walls liquefy in one day. Making this material is easy, you can make it from ammonia and sulphuric acid, I however, used dry ammonium sulfate and sulphuric acid (slight excess of ammonium sulfate was used).

I made a solution of the material in water and then allowed this to evaporate on a dry warm place. After a few days you get a crystalline mass (fairly big colorless crystals are formed, 2 mm diameter or so). When only a small amount of liquid remains, then decant that liquid from the crystalline mass and put the crystals on a sintered glass filter to have most of the adhering liquid absorbed. After that tratment, put the crystals in a warm place (40 C) for a few days and every day turn around the crystals with a glass rod to expose other parts of the solid to dry air. After a few days you have a nice dry product, which is not sticky at all.

I transferred the solid to a glass bottle with a plastic screw cap. Unfortunately, already after one day of storage, the stuff was somewhat sticky again, and crystals which were sticking at the top part of the glass bottle had changed into droplets of colorless liquid. So, it is VERY hard to store this chemical such that it remains dry. A concentrated solution of it in water of course easily can be stored.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top