Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: the journal of irreproducible results presents: KCN from KOH and formamide
Foss_Jeane
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 13:16

Oh for the love of God! Didn't anyone notice the title of the initial post?

"the journal of irreproducible results presents: KCN from KOH and formamide"

It's a joke. Formamide + base/acid + water= ammonium formate + formic acid + ammonia Back before the Haber Process, it was easier to make cyanides than ammonia, and that's how they made ammonia: by passing steam over red hot NaCN or KCN, giving the corresponding formate as a by-product they could sell for extra profit.

I have yet to see any process that produced cyanides that wasn't a hot process: Nitrates or nitrites or metallic amides + carbon, and lots of heat (think arc heating here) or passing the nitrogen or ammonia over carbon brought to orange heat, or passing gaseous precursors through an electric arc.

If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 13:20

Actually, I gave that title to the thread after I split it off from the larger cyanide thread.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
un0me2
aliced25 sock puppet

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 01:30

K3wl;)
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 14:44

Here is your ref for formamide and NaOH giving NaCN. I am shocked, shocked to find that it involves hot formamide vapor ("Die Zersetzungstemperatur wird am besten möglichst hoch genommen.") and is a little vague.
DE108152

EDIT: This was the only ref in Beilstein anywhere close, same for google's books on cyanide manufacture.

[Edited on 8-2-2010 by S.C. Wack]

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 16:57

Neat patent. Basically says that if you want to go straight from ammonium formate to cyanide, you need to send the gas through a molten alkali solution at minimum 360 deg C, whereas if you first go to the trouble of distilling formamide from the ammonium formate you can get by with temperatures as low as 200C (but still *piping the gas into the alkali*, not just mixing and heating). The vagueness in my opinion comes in because molten alkali at 200C sounds like a hydrate melt though this is not explicitly specified. Anyway, it does clear up some confusion.
kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 23:49

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
Here is your ref for formamide and NaOH giving NaCN

Thanks. I was looking for any scientific informations about it but is turns out an old german patent. Definitely not scientific material, probably equally irreproducible like other "wonderful" cyanide patents.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 8-2-2010 at 03:02

My skill in reading German sucks and I don't really want to be a party breaker, but that patent does not really claim that NaCN is formed from the reaction of formamide and sodium hydroxide directly. Actually this patent is not only vague, but it does not even go to a chemical interpretation of the process (kind of understandable given its age).
In my understanding, the formamide is thermolysed at >360°C and the products (containing HCN among other stuff) absorbed directly at this temperature over potassium or sodium hydroxides to give NaCN or KCN. The formamide feed into the process is formed from the thermolysis of ammonium formate in an autoclave at 200-300°C, with or without an acid catalyst (Chlorzinkammoniak). In the presence of the catalyst a little HCN forms already in the autoclave, especially at higher temperatures. The patent even tells us that if the formamide vapours are being carried over the hydroxides at a temperature lower than the one needed for the thermolysis then the hydroxide reacts with formamide by the usual manner yielding only hydrolysis products:

"Kaltes oder mäfsig warmes Alkali zersetzt Ammoniumformiat oder Formamid zu Alkaliformiat und Ammoniak; geschmolzenes Alkali dagegen spaltet Wasser ab und bildet glatt Blausäure, mit der es sich sofort zu alkali verbindet. Die Zersetzungstemperatur wird am besten möglichst hoch genommen. Arbeitet man mit reinem Formamiddampf, so genügt allerdings schon eine Temperatur von 200° zur Zersetzung; ist aber noch Ammoniumformiatdampf oder Wasserdampf zugegen, somufs man über 360° erhitzen."

As far as I could understand, this is also the only passage that mentions that the alkali hydroxides decompose formamide into HCN. But if you read carefully it says that molten alkali does that, indicating that it is the heat that causes the decomposition of formamide into HCN and not the reaction with the alkali hydroxide. Hence it says that the cyanide forms only at high enough temperature, preferably over 360°C. If the alkali hydroxide would somehow react with the formamide, then HCN could not be a product, because HCN reacts with hydroxides to give cyanides and water (obviously the authors were aware of this and if they would have believed the KCN/NaCN formed from the reaction of HCONH2 with KOH/NaOH, they would have not be mentioning HCN as intermediate).
So what this patent is describing is actually only the usual thermolytical elimination of water from formamide and the neutralization of the so formed HCN over molten hydroxides. The only difference from the other related HCONH2 -> HCN processes is in that they do not use alumina or any other dehydration catalyst for the formamide decomposition into HCN. Since the reaction HCONH2 <-> H2O + HCN is highly reversible at the required temperatures (300-500°C), there might be a rational reason for performing it over molten hydroxides. Namely, the HCN is absorbed as it forms, therefore forcing further conversion. At such high temperatures (>360°C) the vast majority of formamide is probably in the gas phase and only tiny amounts may be absorbed in the melt, the very high temperature thus paradoxically preventing hydrolysis (while gaseous acids react very rapidly with molten hydroxides, the hydrolysis requires absorption, because the reaction can not occur easily just via an interphase boundary reaction like is the case with proton exchanges). However, given that HCONH2 is itself a very weak acid it can be chemisorbed in molten NaOH by forming the sodium amide salt and this then slowly hydrolysed. But if the temperature is high enough for the rapid formation of HCN (it being many thousand times stronger acid than HCONH2), this will be competing at the phase boundary preventing the hydroxide from taking up formamide. Another reason for keeping the temperature as high as possible.

I think we should all wait our funny cyanide kewls to provide the reference for their illogical claim that alkali cyanides can be made by reacting formamide with alkali hydroxides. This patent is surely not what they had in mind (considering the required reaction conditions and all). It should not be so difficult telling us where they read about a reaction so kewl that goes against chemical theory and against experimental data confirming that formamide reacts with KOH and NaOH in the usual manner.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-2-2010 at 08:06

'It should not be so difficult telling us where they read about a reaction so kewl...'

Surely you could have guessed :-) -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_cyanide
ramual
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-2-2010 at 10:42

CH3NO + KOH -> KCN + 2H2O

CH3NO (CN- , H30+) + ( K+, OH- ) -> KCN + 2H20

This is what happen when formamide(acid) reacts with Potassium hydrooxide(Base) -> KCN (Salt) + water

after that a second reaction occurs due to heat produced by first reaction

KCN + H20 -> HCN + KOH

The problem is How to convert HCN (Gas) into liquid or solid
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-2-2010 at 11:13

Ah, really? That first equation is a reasonable gloss of the discussion to date, though I believe the question at this point is just how hot the KOH needs to be in order for gas-phase formamide to react as described. Maybe you'd like to show us where you found that second reaction, where heat decomposes potassium cyanide into hydrogen cyanide and potassium hydroxide. Because last time I checked KCN (with or without H2O) doesn't decompose under heating in anything less than an electric furnace (and even then I doubt it splits neatly into acid and base).

Quote:
The problem is How to convert HCN (Gas) into liquid or solid

The problem is that you can't be bothered to learn chemistry or read the entire contents of the thread. It sounds like you've seen gas coming off of some KOH and formamide mix and erroneously concluded that since the formamide *must* have been turned into KCN and water, the vapors couldn't be anything except cyanide. Chemically this makes about as much sense as boiling salt water to produce lye and hydrochloric acid (which is to say no sense at all).
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 8-2-2010 at 19:46

A great source of acidic or caustic vapour is simply produced by boiling water
H2O ---> OH-(g) + H+(g),
the trick is of course how do you manage to isolate those suckers before they find each other again.
I believe if you achieve this you will move science forward quite dramatically and after your work on this is complete you should move onto producing an antigravity beam or trying to locate where the holy trinity hangout.

Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-2-2010 at 00:24

Quote: Originally posted by Panache  
A great source of acidic or caustic vapour is simply produced by boiling water
H2O ---> OH-(g) + H+(g),
the trick is of course how do you manage to isolate those suckers before they find each other again.
I believe if you achieve this you will move science forward quite dramatically and after your work on this is complete you should move onto producing an antigravity beam or trying to locate where the holy trinity hangout.

Isn't OH- seventeen times heavier than H+ ? So I'd say blowing on it would separate them nicely.
ramual
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-2-2010 at 03:55

I've tried the same reaction with sodium hydroxide. but the result is same.

CH3NO + NaOH --> Gas + Something

????
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2010 at 10:39

The "gas and something" will be ammonia and sodium formate.
ramual
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-2-2010 at 02:47

I think the we got a conclusion

Formamide + Pottassium Hydroxide -- > Pottasium Formate + Amonia
CH3NO + KOH --> CHOOK + NH3

Formamide + Sodium Hydroxide -- > Sodium Formate + Amonia
CH3NO + NaOH --> CHOONa + NH3

[Edited on 18-2-2010 by ramual]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top