Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How adsorbe a substance in a powder (fine) ?
fludyoptasyphos
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-4-2010 at 08:18
How adsorbe a substance in a powder (fine) ?

Hi, what is some methods to adsorbe a substance (molecule or microbs) in a fine powder (eg resin, talcum, chalk, salt, pepper, plastic polimers, elastomers, cacao) ?

✖ reaktiv ✖
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2010 at 09:07

Before you tackle adsorption, I suggest another project: 'what is the best way to pose a question so that someone might provide me with useful answers or information?'. In the present case, your question is hopelessly overbroad, akin to asking 'how do I distill?'; the only answer someone could provide to such a question might be a link to some weighty compendium of knowledge on the subject. If you have something specific that you want to adsorb, then we would like to know
- what it is
- why you are trying to adsorb it
- what candidate materials you would prefer or have access to
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 20-4-2010 at 00:11

Absorption of what into what?

Also, any given item dissolved or absorbed into another would require different reagents.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
fludyoptasyphos
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-4-2010 at 06:07

eg nicotine and caffeine with etylene glycol in talcum - silica - magnesium fine powder

✖ reaktiv ✖
matei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-4-2010 at 08:45

Usually this is done by dissolving the compound you want to adsorb into a suitable solvent, adding the adsorbent (powder) to that mixture and evaporating the solvent to dryness with a rotavap.
fludyoptasyphos
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-4-2010 at 09:35

Quote: Originally posted by matei  
Usually this is done by dissolving the compound you want to adsorb into a suitable solvent, adding the adsorbent (powder) to that mixture and evaporating the solvent to dryness with a rotavap.

thank matei , I've understand

✖ reaktiv ✖
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 26-4-2010 at 02:44

Odd way of using the word adsorb. As I recall, adsorbsion is a surface phenomena.

A type of affinity or light molecular bonding between two differing molecules. One of which might be either a solid catalyst or a chromatographic media, and the other being either a chemical undergoing a catalyzed reaction like a hydrogenation, or a chemical being purified or refined, as by elution through a column of adsorbent material, as in column chromatography.

I'll check my definitions somewhere.

Go To Top