Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to get lab experience
alchemizt
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-1-2019 at 13:17
How to get lab experience

I got a chemistry BSc a few years ago but didnt use it to get a job since Ive been doing other things. I really want to gain lab experience so wondering if theres a way I can do volunteer work in a lab, as in do unpaid work for the purpose of building up my skills. Are there any labs that take on volunteers like that? Are there other ways to get into a lab and gain hands on experience without getting a full time job?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 28-1-2019 at 14:09

Where are you located?
I don't know of any arrangements like that, but you never know. There might be some board members who have gotten a foot in the door that way.
In general, I would guess that most labs would be prevented from taking on volunteers due to OHS regulations.

You could always begin your own home lab... It is amazing what is possible with a few OTC reagents and minimal equipment.
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 29-1-2019 at 03:51

It happened organically for me (no pun intended). I’m a non-degreed individual who performs a mix of technical and electrical engineering work, who also has access to several labs with fume hoods. Very few people use these hoods, so I’ve taken over one by default. Over the years I’ve worked after hours to build up my lab skills, and now much of my recent work has been chemistry-related.

You have a degree...in chemistry. Don’t undersell yourself. Even if you were an entry level chemist, you should still get paid for your time.

andy1988
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-1-2019 at 04:03

Nice in that you won't be influenced to do anything you consider immoral for the sake of making money.

I'd say look into faith based or other charitable groups. Surely you would be trained on the job doing labwork while helping people? Certainly your chemistry BSc would readily open many doors. I'd thought about a service based mission to somewhere like Venezuela myself.

IIRC U.S. Peace Corps gives a higher stipend if you have a Bachelor's degree, also many other perks. Many other charitable orgs.

Oh, sorry I realize now I veered a bit from your question. I doubt many would allow you in for liability/insurance reasons. I.E. their existing insurance contracts cover only employees, not visitors and they could be stuck with a big bill if something goes wrong.

[Edited on 29-1-2019 by andy1988]

alchemizt
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-1-2019 at 08:16

Quote: Originally posted by andy1988  
Nice in that you won't be influenced to do anything you consider immoral for the sake of making money.

I'd say look into faith based or other charitable groups. Surely you would be trained on the job doing labwork while helping people? Certainly your chemistry BSc would readily open many doors. I'd thought about a service based mission to somewhere like Venezuela myself.

IIRC U.S. Peace Corps gives a higher stipend if you have a Bachelor's degree, also many other perks. Many other charitable orgs.

Oh, sorry I realize now I veered a bit from your question. I doubt many would allow you in for liability/insurance reasons. I.E. their existing insurance contracts cover only employees, not visitors and they could be stuck with a big bill if something goes wrong.

[Edited on 29-1-2019 by andy1988]

Are there actually chemistry lab positions in these charity groups? Also peace corps, they actually have lab work? If so Im gonna sign up. This is something Id love to do, any kinda volunteer working involving helping people, if I can gain lab experience in the process, Im gonna do it ASAP. Id love to do it in Venezuela too. Im in Peru right now and the country is full of Venezuelan refugees, the situation is really bad there.

In Peru I found a medicinal plant laboratory I can volunteer in near Cusco so Im gonna do this as soon as I can. Its part of an eco community, its amazing to have found something like this, its the only place Ive found so far though.
WangleSpong5000
Hazard to Others

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 07:02

BSc on it's own is unlikely to land one a jerb... I kept fucking mine up anyway so it's a moot point in my case. Just do shit from home, thats what I do... sure it's limited and my knowledge is overly broad but that suits me anyway as I find specialization boring.

Hyperbole be thy name
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 09:52

I'll repeat jsum1's question: where are you located?

I've heard many cannabis startups (in Colorado and California, for example) are hiring B.S. chemists, mainly for analytical work. There's also the pharma lab tech route (the Boston area is best for that).

If you're really dedicated about chemistry, you could consider doing a graduate program. It certainly involves a lot of lab work, but it's not something to jump into on a whim.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 3-3-2019 at 15:41

How much do you know, and about what?

Based on my academic experiences back in ancient times..... You could have earned a BS in Chemistry, while being woefully under-educated, in practical labcraft. Moreover, your college might have lacked folks that could even impart such knowledge to you.

Fortunately for you, in these more modern times, we have Youtube. Therein, talented professionals and amateurs, will protect and tutor you.

Then, of course...You also need physical lab access.

I got mine, by designing my own classwork via independent studies classes, at the local U..

Only need to take 1 unit, to become a student..... And, thereby gain access to millions of bucks worth of beautiful lab space, and equipment.

Get you safely back into the swing of things.

Might be hard to get rolling, when you are on the outside looking in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mnM0uqhKaQ&list=RD8mnM0...

[Edited on 3-3-2019 by zed]

Go To Top