Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wood Finish Chemistry
Randle Patrick
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-5-2010 at 07:29
Wood Finish Chemistry

<p><span style="font-family: Courier New;">Hello and greetings!&nbsp; I enjoy this board immensely, having just discovered it.<br></span></p><p><span style="font-family: Courier New;">I have become interested in chemistry after a long absence from the field.&nbsp; I've been refinishing some old wood pieces, and have been playing with coatings.<br>
</span></p><p><span style="font-family: Courier New;">The self-polymerizing wood oils, like tung and linseed, are very interesting.&nbsp; They photopolymerize spontaneously (or with commercial accelerants.)&nbsp; Oily rags with polyunsaturated linseed can heat up to ignition by the exothermic processes of polymerization.<br></span></p>
<p><span style="font-family: Courier New;">I have become interested in using sulfur to &quot;rubberize&quot; linseed after it has been applied, to make a hard coating.&nbsp; Sulfur, amazingly, can be heated to liquid using a steam iron, right on the wood - odorlessly!&nbsp; The Pennsylvianians used to make furniture with inlaid liquid sulfur.&nbsp; You would think it would stink to the dickens.<br></span></p><p><span style="font-family: Courier New;">I'm interested in making &quot;home-made linoleum,&quot; which was originally linseed oil and cork shreds, vulcanized.<br></span></p><p><span style="font-family: Courier New;">Anyone got some ideas?</span></p>
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2010 at 09:02

Quote: Originally posted by Randle Patrick  
I'm interested in making &quot;home-made linoleum,&quot; which was originally linseed oil and cork shreds, vulcanized.

Eye ball —

Morrell and Wood
The Chemistry of Drying Oils
D Van Nostrand Company

There have tobe a zillion refs to linoleum @ Google.com/books

---------
http://tinyurl.com/2utv6rr

Floorcloth possesses neither the wearing properties, resiliency, nor the heat- and sound-proof qualities of linoleum.

For further information on the history and manufacture of linoleum the following papers may be consulted:—

W. F. Reid, "Manufacture of Linoleum," J. S. C. I., 1896, 15, 75.

H. Ingle, "The Examination of Linoleum and the Composition of Cork," J. S. C. I., 1904, 23, 1197.

* M. W. Jones, " History and Manufacture of Floorcloth and Linoleum," J. S. C. I., 1919, 38, 26."

The chances of me scanning any of these is ..... no.
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2010 at 15:46

Quote: Originally posted by Randle Patrick  
"I have become interested in using sulfur to &quot;rubberize&quot; linseed after it
has been applied, to make a hard coating.

Somehow rubberize and hard coating do not
go together in whats left of my mind.

Would mention in passing — nitric acid has been used
with linseed oil varnish, and some use sulphuric acid
in French Polishing. [Shellac]

My fav's are ammonia fumes for oak - fumed oak, and
potassium dichromate with mahogany.

Have seen (on a tape) nitric acid used on maple.

A bunch of other chemicals can be used.

Blackening wood with conc. H2SO4 is more trouble than
worth to me. Use a torch.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 31-5-2010 at 16:06

There is also the Japan lacquer finish, the same oil Urushiol that causes poison ivy can polymerize. That must have been fun :o

So basically its the double bonds that polymerize easily which sulfur also cross links to.

The best way would be do some experiments and just mix the sawdust and linseed oil. Then stir some sulfur into the goop and heat it with an iron.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble

Go To Top