Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Police notified about buying beakers!
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

sad.gif posted on 14-6-2010 at 01:24
Police notified about buying beakers!

I ordered last week some glassware from Labwarehouse.

The stuff arrived overnight safe and sound.

A few days later (today) I came back from school with the most unpleasant surprise. The community constable (look at my other post in "Home labs and legal issues) payed me a visit.

Apparently the company had emailed New Zealand police about me and since there was a red flag under my name (see other post) he was notified,

Although unlike last time he didn't take anything and "Only came to see if my parents knew" He did present my parents with a list of what I bought (They all ready knew since they payed for it)

I do find something really quite frightening about this. I suspect he has suspicions. I also don't like how companies will "narc on you"
If your living in New Zealand MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE PRIVACY POLICES I didn't check it for labwarehouse and found this

Quote:
Some items we sell are subject to restrictions imposed on us by legal authorities. Therefore on occasion we may be required to share order information with NZ Police.

What large round bottoms flasks, distillation equipment and high precision scales did I order?

A box of 12 200ml beakers, a box of 12 150ml beakers, 10 test tubes and about 5 Erlenmeyer flasks, a couple of stirring rods and some watchglases.

I am starting to get sick of this crap, It feels like the whole world is against this hobby.

The bright side is, anywhere is better than Texas.

I've had a bad day and am ranting so this mind end up in Detritus

kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 02:02

Quote:

Actually, I don't think the companies narc on you, and put the responsibility on you to make sure you can have them legally.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 03:14

Mewrox99, in case you are not already aware of it, the New Zealand Pigs are as corrupt as hell! They can be bought for the price of an hamburger; and on the flip side, at least ever since the Arthur Allan Thomas case in 1970 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Allan_Thomas , http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/1762341 , http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/3155210/Arthur-Allan-T... ) , they are only too happy to frame people with false charges to increase their conviction rate and thereby obtain promotion, by means of perjury and faked or planted "incriminating evidence". There are probably scores of wrongfully convicted innocent people in New Zealand jails; the dozen or so (most recently David Bain from Dunedin and Leonard Vincent from Whangarei) who have been exonerated amid enormous publicity after spending years in jail for crimes they did not commit, and who are in the process of suing the Pigs for compensation, are only "the tip of the iceberg".

In this instance, it looks definitely also that Labwarehouse broke the (N.Z.) Privacy Act 1993 (see http://www.legislation.govt.nz ), in giving out personal information about you to another organization, in this case the NZ Pigs, without any of the justifications that are available under this Act. You should file a complaint of breach of privacy against Labwarehouse with the Privacy Commissioner; see, for info about how to, these URLs:
http://www.privacy.org.nz/ , http://www.privacy.org.nz/contact-us/ , http://www.nzlii.org/nz/cases/NZPrivCmr/ , http://www.howtolaw.co.nz/html/ml159.asp , http://www.lawcom.govt.nz/UploadFiles/Publications/Publicati...

Also, the statement by Labwarehouse. "Some items we sell are subject to restrictions imposed on us by legal authorities. Therefore on occasion we may be required to share order information with NZ Police." is a patent lie! There are NO such items in New Zealand with such restrictions on their sale, with three exceptions: (a) dangerous amounts of high explosives of the types used in mining and civil engineering earthworks and demolition, for which a hazardous goods license has to be obtained under the Dangerous Goods Act or Explosives Act; (b) live ammunition, which requires a firearms license from the Pigs under the Arms Act, and (c) prescription and pharmacy-only medicines, which under the Medicines Act and/or Misuse Of Drugs Act only pharmacies can sell and in limited quantities, and which pharmaceutical wholesalers sell only to pharmacies. There are CERTAINLY NO such restrictions or reporting requirements on sales of laboratory glassware in New Zealand.

[Edited on 14-6-10 by JohnWW]
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 06:51

Quote: Originally posted by mewrox99  
I ordered last week some glassware from Labwarehouse.

The stuff arrived overnight safe and sound.

A few days later (today) I came back from school with the most unpleasant surprise. The community constable (look at my other post in "Home labs and legal issues) payed me a visit.

I am starting to get sick of this crap, It feels like the whole world is against this hobby.

I've had a bad day and am ranting so this mind end up in Detritus

-----------
Texas?!

HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE
TITLE 6. FOOD, DRUGS, ALCOHOL, AND HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCES
SUBTITLE C. SUBSTANCE ABUSE REGULATION AND CRIMES
CHAPTER 481. TEXAS CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ACT
SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

53) "Chemical laboratory apparatus" means any item of
equipment designed, made, or adapted to manufacture a
controlled substance or a controlled substance analogue, including:

(A) a condenser;
(B) a distilling apparatus;
(C) a vacuum drier;
(D) a three-neck or distilling flask;
(E) a tableting machine;
(F) an encapsulating machine;
(G) a filter, Buchner, or separatory funnel;
(H) an Erlenmeyer, two-neck, or single-neck flask;
(I) a round-bottom, Florence, thermometer, or filtering flask;
(J) a Soxhlet extractor;
(K) a transformer;
(L) a flask heater;
(M) a heating mantel; or
(N) an adaptor tube.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 07:01

Quote: Originally posted by mewrox99  
I suspect he has suspicions.

It must now be evident to you that giving cause for him to be suspicious of you in the first place was your mistake. . .

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 08:50

Always have to laugh at Texas
Quote:
(K) a transformer;

as most houses have a doorbell, and most doorbells use a transformer.

JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 09:01

All those laboratory glassware and heating etc. items listed by the Wizard above, quoting Texa$ $tate law, are quite legal to be bought and sold and possessed in New Zealand. However, if, BESIDES those items, one was caught by the NZ Pigs in a "drugs bust" ALSO in possession in the same property of manufactured drugs such as ecstasy or methamphetamine or LSD, or ephedrine or pseudoephedrine (used as an essential precursor), then it would be construed by the Court as more deeply incriminating evidence, of manufacture of drugs rather than simple possession of drugs.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 09:07

Quote: Originally posted by not_important  
Quote:
(K) a transformer;

ANY sort of power adaptor used for converting 230v or 110v AC electric power to a lesser DC voltage, such as 3v, 6v, 9v, 12v, 14v, or 18v DC, to power or recharge low-power electrical appliances such as laptop computers or rechargers or cell-phones or radios, of which there are hundreds of millions in circulation, is in fact a "transformer"!
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 09:25

Quote: Originally posted by not_important  
Quote:
(K) a transformer;

----------
This being the unexpurgated version.

THE AVERAGE BASEMENT BOMBER by Anonymous [aka d j haarmann]
PGII Bulletin #47 June, 1985

Common Rocket, Explosive and Incendiary Materials, according to Major Joseph
Stoffel, AUS (Ret.), (Explosives and Homemade Bombs 2nd ed., 1972) are as follows:

Charcoal, coal, coal Calcium hypochlorite Corn starch "Duco" cement, Gasoline,
Hydrogen peroxide, Liquid floor wax, Naphtha, Pitch, Rice powder, Soap powder,
Sulfur, Tapioca, Wheat flour, Coffee, Powdered Cocoa, Cork dust, Fuel oil Grease,
Kerosene, Vaseline, Match heads, Paraffin, Plaster of Paris, Sugar, Sawdust, Shellac,
Turpentine.

Well, with all this fine information it should be simple to compile a profile of the average
basement bomber, he is one who: owns a swimming pool (calcium hypochlorite), about
which he grows roses (sulfur), buggers his wife (vaseline) when not attending to the
leaking roof (pitch), or barbecuing (charcoal). His blonde (hydrogen peroxide) wife likes
to cook (corn starch, rice powder, wheat flour, tapioca), and makes her own jam or
jellies (paraffin) to show his thanks, he helps with the dishes (soap powder), although
occasionally he drops one ("Ducoll cement). After dinner he retires to the basement
workshop to turn out small clear finished (shellac) or painted (turpentine) wooden
objects (saw dust) for sale by the local Boy Scout troop. While he is cleaning his paint
brushes (kerosene), his wife makes them a hot drink (coffee, cocoa, sugar) on the stove
(match heads). Later while he tries to clean (naphtha) the clothing worn while working
on the car (grease, gasoline) yesterday, she will attend to the kitchen floor (liquid floor
wax) while making a mental note to get him to repair the hole in the wall (plaster of
Paris) where the door knob had struck it. After putting out the cat, being good
Americans, they turn down the furnace (fuel oil) in order to conserve energy, before
going to bed secure in the knowledge that they are safe from the long arm of the law. If
only they hadn't forgotten to get rid of the cork dust!

-----------
"The purchase, possession, and sale of ether in quantities exceeding 2.5 gallons, or equivalent by weight is regulated under Part II of the Florida Drug and Cosmetic Act, Chapter 499, Florida Statutes. The following permits are available."

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/ddc/EtherReg.html

I could have a lot of fun with 2 1/2 gallons of ether.
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 13:18

Eh. Damnit. Here I was trusting labwarehouse. Their stuff is quality, and the customer service really helpful.

I was contemplating buying a condenser from them, I have the legal forms and such.

Maybe not now. Perhaps I'll talk to one of my chemistry professors first, get their opinion.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 14:13

My stuff was also good quality and the shipping was sound.

It's a shame, as I probably would have bought more stuff from them.

Maybe it was the quantity of stuff I got that aroused unwanted attention.

psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 23:31

It's not a lot more than what I bought in my first order. I wonder who has been informed of what I own.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
barbs09
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-6-2010 at 02:37

Hi, on the subject of legal issues in NZ, am I likely to incur the wrath of the law if I order 20l of 98% H2SO4 from Trade Me (Countingsheep1)?? I know this is a large amount but it seems a shame to not buy it when it is currently available.

Pessimistically thinking I can only see such purchasing avenues being closed off in the future. The very same seller on Trade Me also has reasonably priced 70% HNO3. Would a second set of alarm bells ring if I ordered 20L of this stuff at a later date?

I see the seller of the above acids selling 25kg’s of NaNO2 for $184. I have no idea if this is reasonable but this is a useful reagent but I don’t need this amount. Any potential interest within NZ of splitting a bag??

I look forward to hearing your opinions,

Cheers
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-6-2010 at 03:31

I bought 5L of H2SO4 from him.

Haven't had any legal trouble chem wise just the glassware.

The 20L of HNO3 might ring alarm bells.

DO NOT buy the 25kg of NaNO3. Unless you are running a fertilizer factory, or live on a really big farm there is no legit use for that much nitrate.

If you really want NaNO3 then just buy a cheap $8 bag of Ammonium Nitrate he sells and some NaOH (he also sells that for reasonable prices.

Quote: Originally posted by psychokinetic  
It's not a lot more than what I bought in my first order. I wonder who has been informed of what I own.

Well you may have. But owning pieces of glass is not a crime and they may think nothing of it.

I am all ready slightly 'well known' to that police constable and apparently came just to make sure my parent knew.

I really would have preferred if the cops didn't know of the existence of my home lab. Thanks alot labwarehouse!

And thank you to my completely sane, calm and tolerant neighbor for calling the fire brigade and police about 8g of KNO3/Mg.

[Edited on 15-6-2010 by mewrox99]

JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-6-2010 at 09:15

Actually, that chap is offering 25 kg bags of NaNO2, not NaNO3. NaNO2 is used commercially as a preservative in meat small goods such as sausages, bacon, and "corned" beef and pork. It also has uses as an analytical reagent and as a synthetic organic reagent.
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-6-2010 at 13:17

Sodium Nitrite. Hmm I'm half tempted to get some to make some isopropyl nitrite. Mabakken makes it look really easy

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 15-6-2010 at 23:06

Sodium nitrite is totally different from sodium nitrite and cannot be used for pyrotechnic purposes. Even a mix with red P does not burn (I tried that). So, buying this is not likely to raise a red flag like buying 25 kg of NaNO3. But why so much? Can't you buy 1 kg or even 500 grams? Having 25 kg of this around is insane.

Making isopropyl nitrite is fairly easy, but you cannot store this chemical. It slowly decomposes, giving NOx and other organics. The vessel becomes pressurized. I think that the nitrites, based on n-pentanol and n-butanol, are more stable and can be kept around in a cool place.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
barbs09
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-6-2010 at 00:18

Hi, thanks for the opinions on the purchasing of acids in NZ. It is indeed a sad state of affairs that we should feel concerned. It also goes to show how global such chemical paranoia is.

My previous post referred to sodium nitrite not nitrate of which intended uses do not involve fuel/oxidiser mixes. If enough NZ’ers are interested in this reagent then perhaps a bag could be split. I have previously asked the seller if he would consider splitting the bag but he said something along the lines of maybe at a later date.
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 28-6-2010 at 09:49

Quote:

He did present my parents with a list of what I bought (They all ready knew since they payed for it)

Ha ha ha ha! :D

But yes, a visit for ordering some beakers is crazy. I read your other post and it sounds like you're having a really bad time of things. I'm guessing you live in a reasonably small area, where they know you by now.

I'd be careful ordering or doing anything even remotely close to questionable. If they're all over you for copper sulfate and beakers, they'll go insane if they find you doing anything odd. It might help if you actually get to know that specific constable and tell him what you're doing, and that it's not making bombs or drugs. Next time you're doing any experiment, try writing him a letter explaining why you're interested in it, what you'll be using and what you'll be doing with the waste. Staple the MSDS to it and address any hazards mentioned.

Your neighbor sounds like mine. She hates everyone and continually complains to the authorities about things like building work or upsets kids playing on the pavement (and I mean literally kids, playing, not teens hanging around in gangs). When some new neighbors moved in, she actually asked "They don't have children do they?" "No" "Oh good, we don't need anymore children here".

Sick to death of her (like many of the neighbors are) I left her a present from us all one night at 3am. A steaming pile of my shit on her doorstep. I could see it from the bathroom window, and was laughing myself to tears a year later, remembering how they couldn't work out where the smell was coming from, and I could see it... sitting there, lurking... trolling.

I also broke one of her garden ornaments during operation "stealth dump". She's bought an identical copy of it.

If she keeps harassing the kids into being too afraid to play out, I'll break it again. And then do a shit in it.

[Edited on 28-6-2010 by peach]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 28-6-2010 at 13:03

Quote:
Sick to death of her (like many of the neighbors are) I left her a present from us all one night at 3am. A steaming pile of my shit on her doorstep. I could see it from the bathroom window, and was laughing myself to tears a year later, remembering how they couldn't work out where the smell was coming from, and I could see it... sitting there, lurking... trolling.

I also broke one of her garden ornaments during operation "stealth dump". She's bought an identical copy of it.

If she keeps harassing the kids into being too afraid to play out, I'll break it again. And then do a shit in it.

Having you as a neighbour must be a real fucking big barrell of laughs, too.

Jimmymajesty
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-6-2010 at 10:19

Hey peach you and me could really get on well with each other a couple of years ago.. but we do not give a shit for fucktard neighbours, rather we salted out his plants and trees with NaOH based drain opener, and pissed into his mailbox (It would be pretty hard to perform though). Also perfomed the ring and sprint thing buddha knows how many times. He especially hated when a child set foot on his lawn, so there used to be held football matches during midnight on it regularly.

Chemistry is somewhat tolerated, if you do not make loud things. My advice is, try to keep yourself away from making drugs and explosives, and you will be fine.

[Edited on 29-6-2010 by Jimmymajesty]
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 30-6-2010 at 06:17

I can just see it now; getting caught for playing with shit......Forced to watch "educational" films for hours like "Fecal Matter is No Plaything" or "Playing With Crap is Playing With Fire" & having to go to certain "classes" where proper socially acceptable lavatory use is discussed. Maybe the mandatory involvement of some unique type of 12 Step program for Fecal offenders.....

MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 30-6-2010 at 12:27
Neighbor

I had a neighbor like that growing up. The bitch reminded me of Ruby Deagle in the
movie "Gremlins". In my case, the crazy bitch told the cops I was trying to kill her.
Believe me I wouldn't have missed !

Fortunately, my current neighbors, are pyro-lovers like I am so no problems.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
anotheronebitesthedust
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-7-2010 at 04:26

http://www.yourdailymedia.com/media/1143451912/Man_Kills_Kid...

Be careful peach.
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 3-7-2010 at 13:48

Don't worry hissingnoise, that was after two decades of putting up with entirely random, literally paranoid, unreal complaints from her. She'd literally imagine something had happened, convince herself it had, then accuse us, or someone else, of doing something; like she'd constantly question us over 'messing with her plants' when no one had touched anything near her house. There are multiple other examples. She is a complete cunt, to just about everyone. Particularly kids who've done nothing wrong and are too polite to tell her to go fuck herself, since they're easier to pick on and upset.

Jimmy's tales are funny stuff! I did consider precisely that option, chemically rotting her entire garden to shreds. But I thought that was a little harsh, and obvious. It was considered as she used to constantly harass everyone about touching her plants, but then all the leaves would end up in our drive or garage, and some of them were growing through the brickwork of our buildings. She later complained about us doing work on those buildings and complained to the authorities about it; who we'd already received permission from. Costing us hundreds and hundreds of dollars in equipment hire costs as we waited for her.

I thought a turd on her doorstep was a fitting punishment. As she used to have two dogs that'd go mental if someone walked by. She'd let them shit all over the drive and the place STUNK. So she's probably a little more used to the smell.

The irony is, she's the most religious person in the road. Yet is also the biggest prick when it comes to showing others even a minute amount of care.

I have never done a shit on, or even entered, anyone else's property without their permission.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top