Looking for Canadaian buyers.

Looking for people to split with me on large container 25 Kg

$99 /Kg

Can iodine be shipped to USA legally?

densest
Hazard to Others

Mood: slowly warming to strain point

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 09:40

Iodine is on list 1 in the USA. A DEA permit is required for possession or use. Amateurs are extremely unlikely to get such a permit.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 09:50

You are going to have to find 50 people to use that much iodine. Maybe a smaller order? Seems like a good price.

USA is out of the question here :(

Its also fairly easy for amateurs to make it themselves.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 10:47

$99/kg is not really cheap. Over here in the EU we can purchase good purity iodine for appr. EUR 50 per kg, EUR 25 per 500 gram and EUR 10 per 100 gram (small packages are more expensive).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
mr.crow
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 11:56

So thats about $64 per kg. On www.fishersci.ca its $74.45 for 500g (resublimed ACS)

I don't know why they are always so expensive.

Skyjumper
Hazard to Self

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 13:49

Make it yourself. It can be made in seconds (not including resublimation, drying etc.)
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 14:08

Something like iodine should be easily able to be smuggled across the U$-Canada border, especially off-road where the border passes through parklands. It is not a substance which drug dogs are trained to sniff out.
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 14:13

Quote: Originally posted by densest  
Iodine is on list 1 in the USA. A DEA permit is required for possession or use. Amateurs are extremely unlikely to get such a permit.

I think this is not true. You can possess all the List I substances you like. The seller, however, is required to keep records of buyers, and the seller must have a permit. In practice, this tends to make List I substances very hard to get, but not illegal.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 14:25

Pantone I believe it is illegle to have RP in any quantity. Imay be wrn though.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Pseudomonia
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 14:30

I would also say make it yourself. It's such a simple method and quite fun too.
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 14:44

state and federal laws are different for example in some states having more than 5 grams of phenylacetic acid constitutes a felony.
it may not be on the federal books.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-6-2010 at 04:12

Quote: Originally posted by HomeAlchemy  
Can iodine be shipped to USA legally?
The List I regulations require that any USA importer be licensed. Such licenses are more-or-less a standard application (although they are not a "must issue" license), but the annual fee is quite steep for a small business. It's not exactly illegal for a non-USA party to export List I chemicals into the USA (it's extra-jurisdiction), there's a pending Arizona case where a UK seller was extradited under an anti-terrorism statute under a conspiracy charge, for conspiring with the buyer for the buyer to evade the List I import license requirements. So even if it's legal for you to ship it, it's also a bad idea for you and in every ordinary case illegal for your potential USA buyer to receive it.

As for other List I requirements, license is required for both resale and sale of manufactured product. No license is required for purchase or possession. While the letter of the law is a bit turgid on the point of manufacture for own use, the DEA Diversion web site states explicitly (last I read) that this does not require permit.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 26-6-2010 at 10:01

You can go to jail for a long time without violating federal codes.

Possession of iodine is a crime in some states for unapproved persons. Like P.
If you also have P and say ether, this may be prima facie evidence of intent to manufacture, in the other states.
Like mere possession of anhydrous ammonia in an unapproved container, only, is in places.

I don't know how many times I have to say it...in the real world, the police and fire marshals freak out when they encounter chemistry, prosecutors automatically associate certain chemicals with sending people to jail...they aren't in the benefit of the doubt business...and unless you're a little old lady etc., juries will have no problem whatsoever sending you to prison for 10-20 years with their vote for conviction, no matter what you say.

And selling iodine (or anything else) to people who get caught manufacturing drugs still attracts attention:

The owner of Carriage Hill Feed and Supply was arrested Thursday morning for being a supplier of a precursor for the production of methamphetamine.

The Loudon County Sheriff's Office, along with the U.S. Attorney's Office, Cumberland County Sheriff's Office, Roane County Sheriff's Office and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation executed a search warrant at approximately 10:30 a.m. at the store in Lenoir City as well as the owner's second store in Rogersville, Tenn.

Eugene Allen Trent, 50, of Lenoir City, was taken into custody in Rogersville and brought back to Loudon County jail.

Loudon County Sheriff Tim Guider said the arrest was the result of a more than year-long investigation into the business.

He said the store was supplying organic iodine to meth cooks across the region.

"We came to find out there was a common thread between all the meth makers," Guider said

http://www.news-herald.net/story/11828

This being a many-spoked hub for iodine gets called conspiracy, and has not gone well in the past for domestic or international businesses.

[Edited on 26-6-2010 by S.C. Wack]

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-6-2010 at 11:02

Eugene Allen Trent, of Lenoir City, Tn., sounds like he was a supplier of stock foods, mineral and vitamin supplements for animals, and non-prescription veterinary remedies, and possibly fertilizers, to farmers in a rural area of Tennessee, through his firm Carriage Hill Feed & Supply. If he was allegedly supplying "meth cooks" with "organic iodine", he may well have had NO idea that they were not the genuine farmers that they held themselves out to be, and what the stuff was going to be used for. If so, he would have a perfectly valid defense. Besides, the term "organic iodine" suggests that he was not selling the stuff in pure elemental form, but in some sort of mixture (like "tincture of iodine", dissolved in denatured ethanol, used as a topical disinfectant and fungicide), or as a compound like NaI or KI or an organo-iodine compound which is added as a trace element in soluble fertilizers or stock foods to prevent goitre.

It sounds as if the Loudon County Sheriff's Office, the U.S. Attorney's Office, Cumberland County Sheriff's Office, Roane County Sheriff's Office, and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, were simply trying to score "brownie points", i.e. corruptly procuring as many convictions as possible, regardless of the innocence of their victims, with a view to obtaining promotion and/or increased funding by filling quotas. If so, they should be investigated at the highest level for corruption, and Trent should sue for maliciously false arrest and prosecution.
mr.crow
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-6-2010 at 11:28

Well good thing we are in Canada then

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-6-2010 at 14:29

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
You can go to jail for a long time without violating federal codes.
For concreteness, I'll second this unambiguously. The List I regulations are USA-Federal ones, and they're not always the only ones that apply. Other jurisdictions, including states, counties, and cities, can and do have other restrictions.
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 26-6-2010 at 14:30

Surely meth cooks can just extract iodine from tincture of iodine which is available pretty much anywhere? Granted you obtain about a gram of iodine from 100ml but why cant you just recycle the iodine from the reaction? I cant see how any of the iodine is used up, its just turned to HI isnt it? im seriously confused haha :(
Skyjumper
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-6-2010 at 16:27

NaI or KI can be bought by the truck load with no one (except my neighbor) raising an eyebrow.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 26-6-2010 at 17:41

Quote: Originally posted by JohnWW  
Besides, the term "organic iodine" suggests that he was not selling the stuff in pure elemental form, but in some sort of mixture (like "tincture of iodine", dissolved in denatured ethanol, used as a topical disinfectant and fungicide), or as a compound like NaI or KI or an organo-iodine compound which is added as a trace element in soluble fertilizers or stock foods to prevent goitre.
I wonder why you would think that Iodine dissolved in ethanol, or NaI or KI, is "organic iodine"? Did we take our gallantamine today, John?

Better to remain silent and appear a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Skyjumper
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-6-2010 at 18:03

google for organic iodine provides a link to a vet supply selling organic iodine as a supplement for cattle. It is Ethylenediamine dihydriodide
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 26-6-2010 at 21:05

Tincture of Iodine is not available everywhere. At least, not in the US. It used to be, but not anymore.

Farmers have been complaining about its absence. It's an important veterinary tool that they no longer have access to.
Skyjumper
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-6-2010 at 23:12

amazing. What is next, banning KI pills? Sure, millions could die from a radioactive iodine leak, from painful cancer, BUT we would stop the dumbest of methheads
undead_alchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Tired, Cleaning up corporate messes at work!

[*] posted on 27-6-2010 at 00:21

Lately I have seem lots of US based Iodine sellers on eBay.
Some even state that they are permitted under eBay rules.
Contrabasso
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-6-2010 at 02:42

IIRC the originator of KNO3.com a company based in Scotland UK was extradited to the USA and imprisoned there for web sales of iodine and redP supplied to buyers in the USA, after the Feds ran his site for a year as a sting to harvest data.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-6-2010 at 09:15

Quote: Originally posted by Contrabasso  
IIRC the originator of KNO3.com a company based in Scotland UK was extradited to the USA and imprisoned there for web sales of iodine and redP supplied to buyers in the USA, after the Feds ran his site for a year as a sting to harvest data.
It isn't the Feds, it's the state of Arizona. This is the Howes case I alluded to earlier. I just check their web site; apparently the extradition hasn't been served yet.

Go To Top