Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Interesting benzyl chloride synth I discovered
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

biggrin.gif posted on 25-6-2010 at 20:08
Interesting benzyl chloride synth I discovered

I discovered this reaction a while ago, and don't think it's been documented, so here goes.

Try this: bubble chlorine gas into a flask of toluene until it's bright yellow-green and more or less saturated. Now add a catalytic amount of lithium bromide. That's it. It seems this reaction needs some UV light to initiate it, but a fluorescent light works fine. Once bubbles start to appear, move the flask away from the light. The bubbling should become more vigorous, and the color should change from yellow to clear. Once all the chlorine is used up, the bubbling should stop, and there should be some salt at the bottom.

The bubbles are HCl gas, so presumably you would need two Cl atoms for each toluene molecule that gets chlorinated. The toluene can be boiled off and collected and reused.

It might be possible to continue bubbling chlorine into the solution in order to chlorinate more of the toluene, or chlorinate it further. I never tried this though.

I think sodium or potassium bromide should work, but I only had lithium bromide, so that's what I used. Perhaps someone else can test sodium or potassium bromide? I don't have access to much in the way of chemicals or facilities at the moment.

I think it works because bromine is a lot more susceptible to free radical formation than chlorine is. The bromine forms radicals, brominates the toluene, then the chlorine replaces it, forming another radical, which brominates another molecule of toluene, and so on. The reaction eventually dies out as the bromine radicals find each other, but UV light splits them apart again. Anyway, it sure beats leaving a flask of toluene and a chlorine generator out in the sun all day. You can have your reaction complete in under a half hour.
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 20:30

Wouldn't the halogen radicals be attracted to the ring more than the methyl group?
Though, as it seems it's the same basic reaction as the chlorine generator way you described, I'm quite likely wrong.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 21:01

The halogen radicals preferentially attach the benzyl hydrogens, ring substitution is electrophilic and is added by a number of metal salts or other Lewis acids. This is why industrial production uses the vapour phase, it greatly reduces the Lewis acid added ring chlorination.

Missing from this report seems to be any establishing of the product as benzyl chloride. And, yes, it's pretty similar to the standard method except that the amount of chlorination is limited by the amount of chlorine dissolved in the toluene, which is likely rather low.

National Hazard

Mood: HSbF6

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 21:08

Quote:
And, yes, it's pretty similar to the standard method except that the amount of chlorination is limited by the amount of chlorine dissolved in the toluene, which is likely rather low.

I think he meant the advantage was that it didn't need continuous UV illumination. He mentions continuing to add Cl2 after the beginning of the reaction. Yes a quantified yield would be nice..
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 23:02

Err. I meant it might be possible to get other chlorides like benzal chloride. It is definitely possible to dissolve more chlorine in the partially-chlorinated toluene, then use UV light to start the reaction off again. The amount of bromide determines how much free radical formation needs to be done by the UV light. Even a very small amount of bromide GREATLY reduces the UV needed though. More bromide allows the reaction to be self-sustaining in ambient light.

As far as what it is, I'd recognize that nasty smell anywhere. It is hard to figure out what yield is, especially when reaction vessels are test tubes, but you can see the chlorine bubbles shrinking as they dissolve in the toluene, and the reaction releases a surprisingly large amount of HCl gas when it's bubbling at top speed. I don't have the equipment to do an accurate assessment though.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 26-6-2010 at 20:52

Guys like Vogel, suggest weighing the whole shebang.....Glassware included. But, the standard method usually involves gassing the solution until a certain weight gain is attained. When you've logged enough weight gain, you are done.

But, those instructions are for macroscale, and you are working microscale. Not so easy to log weight gain, when the whole project only weighs a few grams.

Personally, I think I would prefer adding the LiBr first, AND THEN bubbling Cl2 gas into the toluene. Mixing the reactants together, and then adding the catalyst, seems a little perilous to me. Especially on a larger scale.

I like the idea a lot, it could make the chlorination a lot easier to run.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 27-6-2010 at 09:51

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
Guys like Vogel, suggest weighing the whole shebang.....Glassware included. But, the standard method usually involves gassing the solution until a certain weight gain is attained. When you've logged enough weight gain, you are done.

But, those instructions are for macroscale, and you are working microscale. Not so easy to log weight gain, when the whole project only weighs a few grams.

Personally, I think I would prefer adding the LiBr first, AND THEN bubbling Cl2 gas into the toluene. Mixing the reactants together, and then adding the catalyst, seems a little perilous to me. Especially on a larger scale.

I like the idea a lot, it could make the chlorination a lot easier to run.

Well, weighing it can be difficult for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that you're constantly losing gases. HCl does dissolve in toluene and slowly evaporates from it.

The reason I mentioned adding the LiBr after saturating the toluene, is because it makes the reaction a lot cooler-looking and more dramatic -- you can easily see that there's a reaction happening what with all the bubbles and the color change. Admittedly, once you've got the reaction down this is no longer a concern, so the LiBr could indeed be added at the beginning.

Incidentally, if someone had access to elemental bromine, (something I've never been able to generate with any sort of purity) that could be used instead, but this reaction will generate bromine in situ from a bromide salt, producing LiCl as a byproduct. Or NaCl, or KCl, if using a sodium or potassium salt. I don't think iodine would work though, since iodine radicals probably wouldn't be reactive enough to pull a hydrogen off of toluene, but I could easily be wrong.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 27-6-2010 at 12:46

nice post, however as NI said verifying you have a significant amount of benzyl chloride is essential even though you can smell the product it doesn't give one any indication of how successful the synth was, other products may simply not be odorous or weakly so, and benzyl chloride is quite distinct.
What made you do the things you did, some detail as to your musings prior to trying it would be of interest, but best of all distill off the chloride and give a yield of some sort.
But again, nice job!
the libr is simply acting as a halogen carrier, nice to know it works so well though.

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 27-6-2010 at 19:01

Well, I was familiar with the reaction between toluene and sulfuryl chloride, where it's initiated by a little organic peroxide. Unfortunately, sulfuryl chloride is kind of a bitch to make, so I tried just dissolving chlorine in toluene and initiating that with organic peroxide. That actually did work, but once the reaction finished you couldn't just dissolve more chlorine in it and have it start again. The key to this chain reaction seemed to be free-radical formation by a weaker radical than chlorine, so I thought it might be useful to try bromine, which I knew could generate radicals more easily than chlorine when exposed to light. Not only can bromine radicals be easily generated by exposure to light, but bromine can be generated from bromide salts in a chlorine solution. Initially, I thought the displacement of the bromide ions by chlorine would generate the free radicals that would start the reaction, but it turned out to just add orange elemental bromine to the solution. Of course, my disappointment didn't last long, since the anticipated reaction started as soon as I stepped outside.

Anyway, part of my reason for posting this was because I moved recently and all my chemistry equipment is packed up and not with me right now, so I was hoping maybe someone else might take interest in this reaction. I know plenty of people here have expressed interest in synthesizing benzyl chloride, so I was pretty sure someone would be interested, especially since this one seems a lot easier than any other I know of. I do know for sure that if you bubble chlorine into toluene with some bromine/bromide in it, most of the gas coming out of it will be HCl, not Cl2, so it's definitely getting chlorinated. I'm hoping that this reaction, like the sulfuryl chloride/organic peroxide synth, chlorinates the methyl group exclusively and not the benzene ring. Since the bromine radical isn't as reactive, I'm hoping it only reacts with the methyl group before being displaced by chlorine, but I can't verify that this is the case.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 27-6-2010 at 20:27

Huh. Apparently bromine is so damn easy to make form radicals, that it can be done with an incandescent light bulb. And then, if there's chlorine around, it'll substitute the bromine, thus ensuring that only the methyl group's hydrogens get chlorinated. So according to my theory, this method should generate fairly pure benzyl chloride. Check this out:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016%2Fj.tetlet.2006.07.109

I'm a grad student at the moment, but in mechanical, not chemical, engineering. Still, I ought to take this up with one of the chemical engineering professors at my university. It certainly seems to have potential value.
Anders Hoveland
Banned

[*] posted on 27-6-2010 at 21:33

Wow, I am fairly familiar with chemistry, but this seems unusual.
Are you saying that Bromine will react with toluene, if initiated by sunlight?
I would think the radicals would be consumed faster than they are made.
Let me think, SO2Cl2 and toluene, I would not think that would be reactive with toluene. What are the details of this reaction?

PhCH3 + Cl. --> PhCH2. + HCl
PhCH2. + Cl2 --> PhCH2Cl + Cl. --> PhCHCl. + HCl
PhCH2CHCl. + Cl2 --> PhCHCl2 + Cl. --> PhCCl3 + HCl

This reaction does not seem to generate excess Cl. radicals.
How is it self sustaining?

Also, in case some of you did not know, the nitronium cation preferentially attacks the ring because the positive charge is initially transfered to the ring, creating a sort of charged radical, then the NO2 reacts with it. Otherwise, obviously the methyl group would be more reactive.

[Edited on 28-6-2010 by Anders Hoveland]
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 27-6-2010 at 21:50

I believe he said the sunlight (UV) would radicalise the bromine, not initiate the reaction with toluene.

/I'm starting to feel like I'm feeding a new kind of troll.

[Edited on 28-6-2010 by psychokinetic]

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 27-6-2010 at 22:00

Well if I understand it correctly it is pretty simple. It is a free-radical halgenation. When any halogen (except iodine) is hit with UV it splits to the reactive radical, which will attack one of the bezylic hydrogens forming HX. The newly formed benzyl radical is highly reactive so it to combines with the halogen forming the benzyl halide. Also the reaction is not only initiated by UV but also sustained by it.

Anyways I think I got that right, but if anything is wrong let me know.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-6-2010 at 22:15

This is covered in Len's fine writeup here http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=10490

X2 + hv => 2 X ·

X· + H-C(stuff) => XH + ·C(stuff)

X2 + ·C(stuff) => X· + X-C(stuff)

For X2 == Cl2 you need blue light or shorter wavelengths, for Br2 green and even yellow light will generate radicals. The radical chain propagates for quite a few cycles, interaction with the walls, collision with another radical, and various other things eventually terminate a chain. So some ongoing level of new radical generation is needed, generally sort sort of illumination; incandescent lamps, work, especially quartz-halogen, but the generate a lot of heat relative the the number of effective photons. Fluorescent, mercury, and metal-halid lamps all worh, clear bulb Hg lamps are the cheapest high intensity source.

For liquid phase halogenations of aromatics in more than a small volume, visible light is better than UV as the aromatic (toluene) absorbs the UV strongly enough that much of the volume is "shaded" and the UV photons wasted. Again, see Len's prepub linked to above for some numbers.

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 28-6-2010 at 00:24

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
I do know for sure that if you bubble chlorine into toluene with some bromine/bromide in it, most of the gas coming out of it will be HCl, not Cl2, so it's definitely getting chlorinated. I'm hoping that this reaction, like the sulfuryl chloride/organic peroxide synth, chlorinates the methyl group exclusively and not the benzene ring. Since the bromine radical isn't as reactive, I'm hoping it only reacts with the methyl group before being displaced by chlorine, but I can't verify that this is the case.

Unfortunately, your experiment involves LiBr and in situ formed LiCl which both being relatively strong acids could catalyse the electrophilic chlorination. So without analysing the reaction products there is no way to say that such a reaction selectively gives benzyl chloride. Chlorine does not need much of a catalysis for electrophilic attack on toluene's aromatic ring, even traces of moisture catalyse this to some extent, so I would tend to believe that LiCl might be quite efficient as well. If the benzylic chlorination truly involves Br2/light as the radical initiator, then you should get the same result by just adding a drop of Br2 instead of LiBr and this way improve the chances of having a more chemoselective chlorination.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 28-6-2010 at 10:33

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
I do know for sure that if you bubble chlorine into toluene with some bromine/bromide in it, most of the gas coming out of it will be HCl, not Cl2, so it's definitely getting chlorinated. I'm hoping that this reaction, like the sulfuryl chloride/organic peroxide synth, chlorinates the methyl group exclusively and not the benzene ring. Since the bromine radical isn't as reactive, I'm hoping it only reacts with the methyl group before being displaced by chlorine, but I can't verify that this is the case.

Unfortunately, your experiment involves LiBr and in situ formed LiCl which both being relatively strong acids could catalyse the electrophilic chlorination. So without analysing the reaction products there is no way to say that such a reaction selectively gives benzyl chloride. Chlorine does not need much of a catalysis for electrophilic attack on toluene's aromatic ring, even traces of moisture catalyse this to some extent, so I would tend to believe that LiCl might be quite efficient as well. If the benzylic chlorination truly involves Br2/light as the radical initiator, then you should get the same result by just adding a drop of Br2 instead of LiBr and this way improve the chances of having a more chemoselective chlorination.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pure Br2, but you are certainly right that it should produce the same result. Of course, the reaction also produces large amounts of HCl, so it seems kind of pointless to go through the trouble of acquiring Br2 to avoid the formation of acidic salts. The reaction needs to be exposed to light in order to happen; dissolving more chlorine in it in the dark will turn it yellow, but as soon as it's exposed to light, the bubbles start again and it turns clear. It cannot be turned yellow by bubbling chlorine through it while the solution is exposed to bright light. I would not be surprised if the LiCl or H2O (LiBr is one of the most hygroscopic salts that exists, and there's bound to be some water in it) or especially the large amount of HCl that's generated by the reaction, was catalyzing ring chlorination, but the rate at which this happens is certainly much slower than the rate at which benzyl chloride forms. Ring chlorination would not be initiated photochemically, right?
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 28-6-2010 at 10:44

Quote: Originally posted by not_important  
This is covered in Len's fine writeup here http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=10490

X2 + hv => 2 X ·

X· + H-C(stuff) => XH + ·C(stuff)

X2 + ·C(stuff) => X· + X-C(stuff)

For X2 == Cl2 you need blue light or shorter wavelengths, for Br2 green and even yellow light will generate radicals. The radical chain propagates for quite a few cycles, interaction with the walls, collision with another radical, and various other things eventually terminate a chain. So some ongoing level of new radical generation is needed, generally sort sort of illumination; incandescent lamps, work, especially quartz-halogen, but the generate a lot of heat relative the the number of effective photons. Fluorescent, mercury, and metal-halid lamps all worh, clear bulb Hg lamps are the cheapest high intensity source.

For liquid phase halogenations of aromatics in more than a small volume, visible light is better than UV as the aromatic (toluene) absorbs the UV strongly enough that much of the volume is "shaded" and the UV photons wasted. Again, see Len's prepub linked to above for some numbers.

This is all true, however the reaction I've apparently discovered barely needs any light to sustain it compared to Len's reaction. A single LED from a flashlight can generate enough photons to sustain this reaction, if incandescent bulbs are too inefficient.

Len also apparently has access to WAY more equipment than I ever did. I'd really like to analyze the products with a spectrometer, but since I don't have access to one, my only recourse is to try and persuade other people to do it for me.
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 28-6-2010 at 22:35

Another thing that speeds up free radical halogenations is heat, one of my books mentions the free radical chlorination of methane using UV or simply heating the mix to 100c. Also Meglar how dow make sure you only have benzyl chloride, and not benzal chloride or benzotrichloride?
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2010 at 00:17

Something to consider is that AFAIK the solubility of Cl2 in toluene is 1-2 moles/liter, and a mole of toluene is very roughly 100 cc, so you aren't going to halogenate more that 10% to 20% of the toluene (which does reduce the chances of making the di or tri chlorides)

If you were to take say 20 cc of toluene and run this procedure on it, then stir it with NaHCO3 solution for awhile, then warm to say 40 C and dropwise add KMnO4 solution with stirring until the pink colour persists, separate the aqueous and toluene layers, wash the toluene with a little cold water. Toluene that was halogenated on the methyl, assuming it's mostly monochlorinated, will have been hydrolysed to benzyl alcohol and then oxidised to benzoic acid, which sticks with the alkaline aqueous layer. Distill the toluene layer, chlorotoluenes have boiling points around 160 so it's pretty easy to distill just toluene. The amount of toluene collected gives you an estimate of how much was halogenated, the distillation residue with be chlorotoluenes and and likely any benzotrichloride that was formed. You can verify the presense of halogen in that fraction using a copper wire flame test; benzotrichloride could be checked for by adding some to alcoholic AgNO3 and heating and possibly letting sit for several days. The benzoic acid can be recovered from the aqueous solution by evaporation and treatment with HCl.

You could just fractionate the entire reaction mass, if you have a decent rig. Benzyl chloride boils about 18 C above the chlorotoluenes, so it has to have reasonable fractionation capabilities.

A GC plus known samples of the possible halogenated products might do a better job of detailing results than an IR, it can be difficult to discern low levels of other compounds if their spectra overlap too much.

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 29-6-2010 at 03:26

I did a simple experiment regarding the possible role of bromides as (pre)catalysts for benzylic chlorination of toluene. For simplicity I used trichloroisocyanuric acid (TCCA) instead of chlorine. TCCA can be weighted and does not need to be generated externally like chlorine. Besides it is just as efficient at chlorinating the benzylic radicals so it should not make much difference. Instead of LiBr I used benzyltriethylammonium bromide (TEBAB) as the source for the bromide ion, because its cation should not be able to coordinate with TCCA (which would increase its electrophilicity and promote the undesired ring chlorination). I prepared a 0.5M solution of TCCA in toluene/ethyl acetate (1:1): 0.5M TCCA in PhMe/EA (thus a large excess of the substrate, while EA is only added to increase TCCA solubility). The reaction mixtures and conditions tested were:

A) negative control for radical reaction conditions:
4 mL 0.5M TCCA in PhMe/EA on direct sunlight (benzylic chlorination of toluene with TCCA is known by using benzoyl peroxide as radical initiator and heating, JOC, 35, 719–722, so it should work fine with sunlight as well, though not necessarily at room temperature)

B) negative control for test A:
4 mL 0.5M TCCA in PhMe/EA in the dark (electrophilic chlorination of toluene with TCCA does not proceed at any useful rate at room temperature and without acid catalysis, but a control is nevertheless useful)

C) trial reaction:
4 mL 0.5M TCCA in PhMe/EA + 27 mg TEBAB (5 mol%) on direct sunlight (the mixture was shaken for 5 min prior to light exposure, but not all TEBAB dissolved)

D) positive control for radical reaction conditions:
4 mL 0.5M TCCA in PhMe/EA + 37 mg t-butanol (25 mol%) on direct sunlight (t-BuOCl which forms via O-chlorination of t-BuOH is known to be very easily homoliticaly cleaved to the corresponding Cl* and t-BuO* radicals by either heat or light, so we can expect t-BuOH to efficiently catalyze the benzylic chlorination, hence considered a positive control)

E) negative control for test C:
4 mL 0.5M TCCA in PhMe/EA + 27 mg TEBAB (5 mol%) in the dark (to verify the need for light in reaction C)

These reactions mixtures were prepared in tapered glass vials and set either on direct sunlight or complete dark. Unfortunately TEBAB did not all dissolve and thus the reaction mixtures C and E remained heterogeneous. The reaction mixtures C and D soon begun to heat up when placed on sunlight while the reaction A remained at room temperature judging by touch. After 7 minutes cyanuric acid begun to precipitate from C and D practically at the same time and both become hot (estimated to 60-70 °C). At about 9 minutes the reaction mixture A suddenly heated up with such speed that the cap was blown off and 1/3 of the mixture boiled over. At 15 min all the reaction mixtures cooled back to room temperature, cyanuric acid precipitated, and thus the reactions were considered finished. Meanwhile the reactions B and E which were all the time in dark did not show any sign of reaction (no heating and no cyanuric acid precipitate).

HPLC analysis was performed on A, C, D and E reaction mixtures (MeCN/H2O (70:30 v/v), Nucleosil C18 reverse phase column, UV detection at 254 nm). Chromatograms A, C and D were practically identical: essentially two peaks, one smaller at 5.30 min and one more intense at 6.12 min. Some minor peaks could only be observed at retention times shorter than 4 min, but in that region only relatively polar compounds show up. All these reaction mixtures had the characteristic benzyl chloride smell. Reaction mixture E showed only one peak at 6.12 min even after 1:20 h of standing in the dark. Reaction B was thus not even analysed as it showed no sign of reaction either. HPLC analysis of pure toluene and benzyl chloride standards at the same conditions gave retention times of 6.12 min and 5.32 min respectively. Reaction mixture C will be analysed with 1H NMR when time will allow in order to additionally confirm the identity of the product and absence of ring chlorinated products (these could have the same retention time on HPLC).

Conclusions:

TEBAB and t-BuOH appear to catalyze the benzylic chlorination with TCCA already at room temperature. In the absence of catalyst the reaction mixture goes to a runaway mode which is an indication that the reaction rate increases more rapidly at higher temperatures than the catalyzed reactions. In all cases the only product detected chromatographically is benzyl chloride. In the absence of light no reaction occurs either in the presence or absence of TEBAB. Extreme care should be taken when designing a preparatory version of any of these reactions, particularly of the noncatalysed one (TCCA should be added in small portions to an excess of toluene!).

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2010 at 05:38

Nice experiment Nicodem!
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 29-6-2010 at 08:48

Thank you Nicodem very nice.
So in its essence Meglar suspicions have been confirmed correct and the addition of a Bromine ion does indeed promote the chlorination of toluene under better conditions then one normally deals with in such a reaction. I don't know if you remember sometime back myself having and issue with runaways using hypochlorite as the chlorine source and this lead to runaways that made me deam the reaction worthless from my point of view. But with this new infomation and the ability to avoid that runaway when a certine temperature is reached means I may once again have a go at reproducing a variation of the conditions you just laid out but using a bromine salt as the halogen carrier instead out of accessablity.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 29-6-2010 at 11:51

Thank you, Nicodem, for such a nice and well thought out experiment. This sets a standard for us all. A proper experiment with controls and results is just so much more meaningful than endless speculation. ;)
Anders Hoveland
Banned

[*] posted on 29-6-2010 at 12:00

Let me get this straight: heating to 100degC will generate chlorine radicals? (mnick12) Can you please give a reference?

"benzotrichloride could be checked for by adding some to alcoholic AgNO3 and heating and possibly letting sit for several days."
(not_important)
I thought that only organic bromine and organic iodine reacted in a precipitation reaction, not chloride. However, 3 chlorines on the same carbon is fairly electron withdrawing, so perhaps an electron could be donated to a chlorine through one of the double bonds/ delocalized bonding on the benzene, somewhat similar to hydrolysis of 1,1,1 trichlo acetone.

"Chlorine does not need much of a catalysis for electrophilic attack on toluene's aromatic ring, even traces of moisture catalyse this to some extent" (Nicodem) I thought chlorine was soluble in toluene, are you saying adding a drop of water to the mix will induce a reaction? Is the reaction rate very slow?

This is a fascinating reaction, though I am not sure it is exceptionally useful.
rrkss
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-6-2010 at 12:49

Thanks Melgar for sharing, now I have another project to consider for my grignard reagent work that I am currently doing. Since this reaction makes benzyl chloride accessable to me, I am going to give it a shot.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top