Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Making phosphorescent materials
Housane
Hazard to Others

Mood: Let’s make

[*] posted on 8-2-2021 at 05:29

For anyone that wants here is the book mentioned above

Attachment: William M. Yen Marvin J. Weber - Inorganic Phosphors_ Compositions, Preparation and Optical Properties (2004).pdf (6.6MB)
This file has been downloaded 1057 times

Green QD's so far

Feel free to correct grammar or incorect knknowledge. We are all learning.
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-2-2021 at 11:25

Good book Housane.

Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 8-2-2021 at 19:54

Housane: Thank you very much! This is really useful source.

[Edited on 9-2-2021 by Bedlasky]

Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

thumbup.gif posted on 9-2-2021 at 15:33

Quote: Originally posted by Housane  
For anyone that wants here is the book mentioned above
What a find! Thanks for posting it here.
Dr. Noreen Wakeman
Harmless

Mood: impassioned

[*] posted on 15-2-2021 at 07:51

I've found many phosphor dyes just by using a black light on different markers I have. My original intention was to use it as a homemade TLC plate backing with the intent of allowing me to observe the different components without wasting acid. If you aren't trying to make invisible ink, I recommend this process as you can easily remove the ink from these markers by taking out the ink reservoir and putting it in boiling 0.01M NaCl water. The ink will flow out of the foam reservoir and into the water thus giving you the ink.

To know too little is ignorance
To know too much is intelligence
Sanity lies in-between
Yet I never resided betwixt them
I am either too dumb to understand
Or too knowledgeable to be at peace
Choose wisely when to learn and when not to learn
stibium
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-4-2021 at 11:23

I found a link with a lot of pictures, ideas, projects and recipes about fluorescent and phosphorescent materials:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28617364@N04/albums/with/72157...
QuantumDot
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-11-2022 at 09:04

I've found two papers claiming to have made photoluminescent Cu and Mn doped ZnS nanoparticles using room temperature wet chemical methods... *without* firing in a furance. They only dried the material at 70C in a hot air oven.

Low temperatures, no inert atmospheres. Seems too good to be true!

Extracts from the "materials and methods" sections:

Manganese doped:
" Chemical precipitation technique used in this study has the distinct qualities such as low processing temperature (<100 °C), simplicity of processing, low cost and high rate of powder collection. Synthesis of pure ZnS nanoparticles by wet chemical method was reported by the authors previously [21]. We followed the same procedure in the synthesis of manganese doped ZnS nanoparticles. Twenty five milliliter each of zinc acetate Zn (CH3COO)2, MnCl2 and Na2S solutions in water were used for the preparation of Mn2+ doped ZnS nanoparticles. 0.001 M solution of MnCl2 was added drop wise to 1 M zinc acetate Zn(CH3COO)2 solution. One molar Na2S solution was added drop wise with continuous stirring using magnetic stirrer. The solution was stirred for 20 min keeping temperature constant. The resulting white colloidal suspension was filtered, and the filtrate was washed with de-ionized water and dried by keeping in an oven at 70 °C for 1 day. Three samples were prepared at room temperature, 50 and 70 °C. "

Copper doped:
" ZnS:Cu nanoparticles have been prepared by chemical precipitation technique without any capping agent, similar to our previous work [29]. Cu doped ZnS have precipitated from a mixture of zinc acetate [Zn (CH3COO)2] and copper nitrate [Cu(NO3)2] with sodium sulphide [Na2S] in water in ratio of 1:1 for Zn:S. The precipitate thus formed was filtered, washed with distilled water and dried by keeping in a hot air oven at 70 °C for 16 h. In this way five samples were synthesised at room temperature with different Cu (0.0005, 0.001, 0.002, 0.003 & 0.004 M) concentrations. The same procedure was also followed for the synthesis of all the ZnS:Cu nanoparticles at 50 °C, 70 °C and 90 °C keeping Cu concentration (0.001 M) same. "

I've also attached their original paper where they first synthesized (undoped) ZnS nanoparticles.

Attachment: bindu2015.pdf (819kB)
This file has been downloaded 175 times

Attachment: bindu2012.pdf (668kB)
This file has been downloaded 166 times

Attachment: bindu2021 (1).pdf (762kB)
This file has been downloaded 178 times
Neal
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-11-2022 at 12:35

Quote: Originally posted by stibium  

I found a link with a lot of pictures, ideas, projects and recipes about fluorescent and phosphorescent materials:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28617364@N04/albums/with/72157...

I did not know polyurethane can phosphoresce, or fluoresce. I recall polyurethane is something you can put on wood to prevent sunlight changing the color.

And I was recently aware that certain rocks can fluoresece.
knowledgevschaos
Harmless

Mood: Hungry for information

[*] posted on 17-8-2023 at 21:00

Phosphorescent calcium sulfide can be made through heating 1 part crushed oyster shells with 2 parts sulfur. Apparently oyster shells are better than pure calcium carbonate, because minerals and impurities in the shells act to dope the calcium sulfide. I haven't been able to make this yet but I'm looking forward to trying.
https://sciencenotes.org/make-glow-dark-powder-oyster-shells...
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
20-11-2023 at 06:38
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top