Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: fume hood design
Neil
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2011 at 16:45

The thread was kinda wandering towards the end... but my 0.02$

Poly-Carb plastics are very poor performers around some esters and solvents.

Case and point, take a used a glowstick and toss it in a Poly-Carb bottle, then seal the bottle. In a week or two the bottle should shatter like glass if dropped from any height.

I've also seen solutions of dish soap crystallize name brand Poly Carb so bad that it began to crack and splinter apart. Plain Plexi glass under the same conditions remained unchanged.

In building a hood it may serve you better to go with cheaper plastics then the expensive Poly Carb.

albqbrian
Hazard to Self

Mood: Alternatingly paranoid or pi**ed

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 02:41
My two cents..

I'll definitely be building one when I finally return to the US, and my house.

The room I'd set it up in has swamp cooler provided cooling. Maybe I could figure a way to reverse that???

One thought on PVC. As I recall from my woodworking days, moving stuff through PVC can build up some serious static electricity. You're always warned to ground such systems. I don't know if that would be an issue in the ones discussed here though.

Do most of you just run it out a convenient window? I do have one thing in my favor. I'm just downhill from an extremely large, hitech manufacturing plant. One that some folks in my town are always berating/accusing/investigating this company for releasing all sorts of bad, smelly chems. At least I won't get blamed :P
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 03:25

Quote: Originally posted by albqbrian  
One thought on PVC. As I recall from my woodworking days, moving stuff through PVC can build up some serious static electricity. You're always warned to ground such systems. I don't know if that would be an issue in the ones discussed here though.
The bulk of static buildup in woodworking system arises because you're moving a particle-laden stream through the pipe. Particle-to-wall friction transfers charges; the air stream then moves charged dust. If you're not moving dust, charge buildup is very much less a problem.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top