Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  30
Author: Subject: The short questions thread (3)
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 22-12-2010 at 15:53

Sorry I thought it was just a name give by the calgon company to this material.

It gives little information on whats in it other then its a special watersoluble phosphate compound for use in micromat system(water purifiers).

Its a glass like substance pretty clear and broken into clear chunks roughly the size of a BB.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-12-2010 at 11:53

1-pentyl-3-(1-naphthoyl)indole, JWH-018.

I have made this compound on 3 occasions and after alkylation in DMSO/KOH or DMF/KOH I receive an amber oil which is slightly gummy, as expected.
But there are reports of the pure substance being a yellowish solid, or even white, while Huffman reports it as the amber gum. Which is it? Does oxidation or some other factor cause it to be an amber gummy oil? I ask because there seems to be no sure answer after a browse on the net.

Over at hyperlab in the cb agonist thread one person received it as a solid, others as oil. The oil is apparently crystallizable from ethanol. I do not need it in a particular form, but I wonder what causes it to take these different forms. :)
condennnsa
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-12-2010 at 08:01

I have a question that i can't get my head around.

I saw this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4fGIiIpY7A

It's in russian so i don't understand , but they seem to react molten sulfur with H2SO4?

Does sulfur really react with sulfuric acid? What are the products?
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-12-2010 at 05:14

This is just my speculation. That the sulfuric acid oxidizes the formed SO2 into SO3 which reacts to form oleum. Sulfur is also formed as a product visible on the testube

3 SO2 + 2 H2SO4 = S + 2 H2S2O7

Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 30-12-2010 at 15:02

I see everyone is trying to make phenol, but I see no things that can be done with it. What are some reactions or syntheses that I can do with it?
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 07:24

Well, I understand Russian.
And he is saying that reacting molten sulfur and hot concentrated sulfuric acid produces SO4 (how exactly thats possible- don't have a clue).

[Edited on 6-1-2011 by Mixell]
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 10:34

Quote: Originally posted by Magic Muzzlet  
1-pentyl-3-(1-naphthoyl)indole, JWH-018.

I have made this compound on 3 occasions and [...] I receive an amber oil which is slightly gummy, as expected.
But there are reports of the pure substance being a yellowish solid, or even white, while Huffman reports it as the amber gum. Which is it?

Sounds like tryptamine chemistry. :P It has a long alkyl chain, that usually doesn't help with crystallization. Have you tried cleaning by chromatography with subsequent crystallization from a solvent? IMHO we should take some pride in our products and making nice crystals is part of that. ;)
Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 11:10

I lack the resources to do a column at this time, but I have been trying crystallization from ethanol and isopropanol. I just cannot get it to crystallize, it always deposits as little gummy balls on the sides/bottom of the beaker, it is actually very annoying. I'll keep toying with xtallization from ethanol, and get some column supplies which are long overdue.:cool:
kuro96inlaila
Hazard to Self

Mood: Quietly thinking

[*] posted on 27-1-2011 at 05:15

Err,today i mix KClO3 with H2SO4,It should produce chloric acid and potassium sulfate:

2 KClO3 + H2SO4 → 2 HClO3 + K2SO4

But mine have a gas released in the reaction,a pale yellowish-green gas,I tried to burn it,as I thought it was,it exploded.It is chlorine oxides.:o

So,which chlorine oxides produced here,and why does it produced?It should not been produced according to chemical equation.Maybe it was produced because I am not using pure sulphuric acid?:(

http://www.youtube.com/user/kuro96inlaila

Genetic assortment is the dices of God
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 27-1-2011 at 05:37

The gas is chlorine dioxide, the chemistry is described here;

http://81.207.88.128/science/chem/exps/clo2/index.html
kuro96inlaila
Hazard to Self

Mood: Quietly thinking

[*] posted on 27-1-2011 at 06:15

thanks!;)

http://www.youtube.com/user/kuro96inlaila

Genetic assortment is the dices of God
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2011 at 20:21

Yikes ClO<sub>2</sub>!

Heres my short question:

Does mercury react with HCl <b>at all</b>? Like does it even in the slightest amount react with conc. HCl? Because I need to clean some mercury from some metal oxides/dissolved metals and I was thinking HCl would be a great way but I do not want to have any remaining mercury salts, so I wont to make sure nothing will happen.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 13:47

Quote: Originally posted by hkparker  

Does mercury react with HCl <b>at all</b>?

Nope! reactivity series. Needs an oxidizing agent like HNO3.

BUT things like CuCl2 or FeCl3 might be able to oxidize Hg, sort of like etching copper off PCBs.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 14:36

Thank you for the response!

Ok so if iron is my impurity and I produce FeCl3 then... am I no longer safe?

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 6-2-2011 at 02:27

Fe + HCl --> FeCl2

FeCl2 and oxygen at acidic conditions ---> FeCl3, it could dissolve some mercury

Fe2O3 + HCl --> FeCl3 again, it could

You can use some reducing agents or something, maybe ascorbic acid with HCl
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2011 at 10:20

Ok thanks. I don't have ascorbic acid, any others you know will work? What about glucose?

My YouTube Channel

SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-2-2011 at 20:03

Hello all,
does anyone out there have a good link to a PDF download of, 'Gmelins' it is one of the core I haven't found yet. Any nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.
manimal
Hazard to Others

Mood: ain't even mad

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 05:38

It is known that benzophenone condenses poorly or not at all in aldol-type condensations, due to it being insufficiently nucleophilic. Question: how might thienophenone (2,2'-dithienyl ketone) perform in such mixed condensations, for example, with acetone under basic conditions?
gsd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 06:57

Quote: Originally posted by SHADYCHASE54  
Hello all,
does anyone out there have a good link to a PDF download of, 'Gmelins' it is one of the core I haven't found yet. Any nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

http://www.archive.org

gsd
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-2-2011 at 06:20

Can anyone suggest a good, readily available stain for the colorimetric determination of N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzylamine in the presence of DEET?

[Edited on 9-2-2011 by 12332123]
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-2-2011 at 13:33

Just to get things rolling, how about excess alkaline permanganate?
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10-2-2011 at 14:49

Quote: Originally posted by 12332123  
Can anyone suggest a good, readily available stain for the colorimetric determination of N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzylamine in the presence of DEET?

Try with some metal salts that only coordinate with amines, but not with amides. Usually the solutions change colour somewhat after coordination. Candidates are solutions of CuSO4, CuCl2, CoCl2, NiSO4, etc.
Do you need this for TLC visualization, for photometric determination or what else? Without further information it is no possible to give much of an advice.
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 22:20

One time I heated a small pile of ammonium nitrate, potassium dichromate and either aluminum or magnesium powder, I don't recall which. With a direct flame from a propane torch the stuff melted, burned a little and reduced down to some hard nodules about the size of a pea. If you were careful you could heat these hard nodules to a dull red and nothing would happen. But just a little more heat and they would ignite and take off into the air, crackling like some kind of electric discharge whizzing about. I remember one piece seemed to chase me like a bee as I dodged it zinging about. I can't think what it could have been except some kind of thermite-like substance that could resist ignition at such high temperatures.
It kind of reminded me of well melted KNO3 and sugar, how small pieces will take off and whiz about, only these burned much hotter and made a sound like crackling high voltage ball lightning if such a thing existed.
If you have ever melted or lit ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder, it kind of burns for a little bit and then flames out, flashing on and off with a direct propane torch heating method. That's sort of how the stuff did with the dichromate added, like a watery weakly flammable goo as it reduced to a hard rock-like residue.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 12-2-2011 at 18:10

I have found Platinum powder in an art shop. Its not much but I wanted to get some thoughts on if its ok to use for some reactions or not. Its only .4 grams for about $4 or something like that and I was thinking about using it to plate some electrodes for use in a kolbe electrolysis or something.

What do ya'll think. Would it be of any use?

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 13-2-2011 at 15:07

Quote:

One time I heated a small pile of ammonium nitrate, potassium dichromate and either aluminum or magnesium powder, I don't recall which. With a direct flame from a propane torch the stuff melted, burned a little and reduced down to some hard nodules about the size of a pea. If you were careful you could heat these hard nodules to a dull red and nothing would happen. But just a little more heat and they would ignite and take off into the air, crackling like some kind of electric discharge whizzing about.

Most probable explanation is intermediary formation of ammonium dichromate, which then decomposed.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  30

Go To Top