Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: A Chemopolic Question
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 25-8-2010 at 02:43

Quote:
It's a plant.

All medications have their origins in plants!
Marijuana seems to control pain by elevating the mood of the sufferer. . .
Just say Now!

quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 25-8-2010 at 07:02

ANYONE who has first-hand seen serious suffering (& gives a shit) wants the person suffering to feel better.

I couldn't care less what the individual uses so long as it doesn't affect me (if he want to use Marijuana or Heroin, I am fine with it). I heard SO MANY people (both professional & non-professional alike pontificate about what someone with serious pain or suffering SHOULD use....

It's not their pain! Let them alone. People talk long shit until they have someone's arm handing on by threads in their lap and the guy looking at it starting to vomit. Fuck this shit.
Many people treat farm animals better than they would treat their elderly relatives. .....Assholes.
It's mostly a bunch of political marketing crap or phony know-it-all posturing from people who have never seen the really ugly side of suffering.

Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 4-9-2010 at 17:41

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
Damn! It is in oportunities like these that I wish I never was a moderator. Do I really have to read several kB of unparagraphed text just to check if it is posted in the wrong forum section?

Anyway, now that I'm done I might as well reply or else I will feel stupid for having read all that. I guess most replies above were born out of the same need.

Trust me. Levorphanol is not easy to synthesize. Well, it is easy compared to the total synthesis of, let's say Salvinorin A, but it is not equally easy as the synthesis of several much more potent mu agonists.

I don't understand the comparison to Salvinorin A. I mean, many structures can pose a synthetic challenge but morphinanes and Salivorin A are synthetically unrelated problems, as far as I can see.

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  

The problem is that, even if you are up to the racemate, the synthesis uses some unpleasant steps. Already the first step, the synthesis of 2-(cyclohexa-1,4-dien-1-yl)ethylamine calls for a Birch reduction in liquid ammonia. Chemists rather avoid such reactions when possible.

Why would you use a Birch reduction? Well, Ok, DopaMan mentiones 2-(cyclohexa-1,4-dien-1-yl)ethylamine in his messy (but funny!) writeup: http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/levorphanol.... however, there is no reason to use it for this problem as there is no need for a diene -- only one double bond is required (and that for the desired intramolecular Friedel-Crafts alkylation). Consequently, you avoid Birch entirely, by instead easily transforming cyclohexanone into masked 2-cyclohexenylethanamine* (very scalable operation). The resulting amine becomes a key precursor, via amidation, Bischler–Napieralski cyclisation followed by reduction of the imine to amine, for intramolecular Friedel-Crafts alkylation (i.e Grewe cyclization), giving morphinane framework. This is scalable, old-school chemistry and kitchen-friendly too. If there is interest SWiM can try to cover the relevant steps with references, unfortunately not now, as the SciFinder is down for maintenance right now (Sunday).

Quick googling returned: http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/prep.asp?prep=cv4p0234 -- submitted by Cope and his co-workers :o;)

[Edited on 5-9-2010 by Sandmeyer]

Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 4-9-2010 at 19:52

Just a side note, the Birch reduction does not call for liquid Ammonia it only calls for a complex of ammonia with Lithium. This is semi stable at room temperature and stable on ice for quite sometime. Water is the death of it not so much heat.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top