Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Australians: spare toluene and methanol
spong
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 23-8-2010 at 01:10
Australians: spare toluene and methanol

Hi, I've got 20L of both toluene and methanol and I really don't need that much, I'm also a bit worried about the fire hazard those big tins pose.
I'm wondering if any Australians here were after any, I know they can be hard to find here (hence the ridiculous quantities).
I could either send it for what it costs, a few dollars a liter I think (plus postage) or trade some for some other chems if you've got any to spare :cool:
Globey
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-8-2010 at 05:59

Nah just hang onto it in a wood shop and make sure those cans don't get rusty - the best advice I can give you. Spray that black stuff on the bottom, where ever silver metal is exposed (1 can will more than EASILY treat all 20 cans). It's funny, in Australia, pinch points are phenylalanine + toluene. I mean, makes sense. Just every country has different ones. I have a feeling one day not too far in the future, someone will figure out toluene is (figuratively) worth it's weight in yellow liquid gold. And when that happens, say buh bye to toluene. Xylene blended with some higher boiling will be your only alternative. I still have some methylchloroform 1,1,3,-trichloroethane, and that was a good call as nothing is quite as good a degreaser/defatter. Keep it and sore a few boxes of water and some high calorie food bars along side. Tape it all together and label WWIII, emergency supplies. Just one approach. But rust can be an enemy eventually if you don't treat it, so, do do that. Best luck, and thanks for the post =)
spong
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-8-2010 at 23:29

Yeah that is a good point, I remember a few years ago I saw plenty of tins of toluene in bunnings. Now they want $100 to specially order in a 4l tin *facepalm* I'd rather buy 20l and burn 16 of it than see a cent go to them.
I would like to hang onto a bit of the toluene at least but my lab is out in the shed with those tins, they're 20L each and if a fire were ever to break out, a hose and fire extinguisher won't be able to handle 40L of flammable liquids. I might leave them at someones shed that's a bit safer than mine and just fill up a 1 or 2l bottle as I need it.
I'd still like to trade for some if anyone has other chemicals I've been having trouble finding though.
Siddy
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-8-2010 at 05:38

You best bet for the Methanol would be a rev-head forum, someone with a drag car.
Actually, they might be interested in Toluene as well.

Go To Top