Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Food grade or reagent H2O2
DanCDow
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-8-2010 at 16:05
Food grade or reagent H2O2

I was looking at buying some 30% or higher H2O2 and I came across food grade 35% H2O2.
Can snyone explain to me the difference?
I'll be using it for demos like elephants toothpaste, and I'm not sure it would make much of a difference. But the 35% food grade is much cheaper so If i can get away with using it I will.
Oxydro
Hazard to Others

Mood: distracted

[*] posted on 27-8-2010 at 17:14

Food grade should be just fine. Food grade only means, it's free of contaminants that could be harmful in the food industry. Reagent grade is very pure so as not to contaminate a reaction ( giving false results when the end product is analyzed, for instance).

"Our interest's on the dangerous side of things" -- Browning
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 27-8-2010 at 17:36

Food grade hydrogen peroxide is very pure.
It is certified for the cleaning and sterilisation of food handling equipment so it is guaranteed to contain almost nothing in the way of contaminants.
Hydrogen peroxide over 10% is a very strong caustic agent to human skin so use care when using it unless you want white puffy burns.
DanCDow
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-8-2010 at 18:38

Thanks I appreciate it.
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 30-8-2010 at 13:15

Aren't typical reagent grades stabilized to prevent them breaking down on the shelf? And the food grades are not?

I have some of the 35% food grade. It lives in the freezer. I only use it for cleaning the glass really, but I may have to fire up the elephants toothpaste, that is a funny one.

Here's one of the better toothpastes I've seen
A pretty indicator demonstration
Flourescence
Thunderstorm in a test tube
When you really want to creep out the audience, only this will do

cbfull
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 01:13

To be more exact, drug store variety as well as reagent peroxide contain stabilizers to increase shelf life. These stabilizers are generally not chosen with the expectation that humans might consume it, and they have varying degrees of toxicity.

Food grade peroxide (I have some of it in my freezer BTW), does not contain ANY stabilizers, and is safe for use around food. In very dilute concentrations it can be consumed by humans.

I hope that helps
Globey
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 07:21

From my understanding, reagent grade contains a small amount of phosphoric acid as a stabilizer The food grade does not Food grade should be for all intensive purposes stored in the dark bottle freezer, with all the air squeezed out of you can. I have never had a problem with the tiny amount of phosphoric they add to 120 volume and more beauty supply stuff. Plus is never goes bad outside freezer...it's way cheaper real go to stuff. Won't mess batch up. just don't be dumb and don't contaminate it.

I keep the beauty grade in my food freezer for the simple reason when things get funky, I don the heavy rubber gloves, and do some scrubbing with it. It's nice that the terminal break down product with the H2O2 is oxygen, and water. Very elegant way to go around food. Of course, everything in life caries risks. Peroxide burns are a bit nasty, and to the uninitiated "honey, why is my whole finger white!!!", down right scary!

[Edited on 28-9-2010 by Globey]
cbfull
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 09:00

I prefer the 35% food grade so I can mix it with my tooth whitening gel for a faster result.
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 10:32

Another benefit of storing it in the freezer is it doesn't immediately become white hot on addition to certain things, so you have a bit more control.

I've tried tooth whitening gel too, because I literally chain drink tea and coffee and it's making my teeth more yellow than my underpants after watching event Event Horizon in the dark. You can get REALLY strong stuff off eBay, carbamide. Look for the kind with warnings.

If it tastes absolutely foul and your teeth hurt afterwards, that's the strength I'm talking about. Teeth still aren't neon white. Those guys on TV blast there's with blue / uv light at the same time.

I liked that Mythbusters episode when they did Jamies. "You've clean this right? It's not wired to any electric fences or anything?"

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 11:16

Peroxide is slowish!
For the average Englishman, a quick shortcut to "American Teeth" might be the frenetic mastication of carborundum-laced chewing gum . . .
As for the (caked-up?) underpants - nothing's showing up . . .

peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 11:31

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  

As for the (caked-up?) underpants - nothing's showing up . . .

Stick Event Horizon on with the lights off and it should show up.

Grit laced gum ;)

One way to easily date dead people here in ye olde England is to look at their teeth. If they're worn down, they were eating bread ground on gritty stones. Looking on the bright side, bread fortified with minerals!

I order quite a few sweeties from the US every now and again. I particularly like the super soft, big block bubble gum; that's tricky to get UK'side.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 11:49

Quote:
I particularly like the super soft, big block bubble gum.

If you like the tang of citric acid with it, just make sure your HMTD isn't on the same bench . . .
No one wants teeth that white?

peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 13:42

I never intentionally make explosives (although I may have a go at some shells for bonfire's night this year) due to the trouble I have preventing things accidentally exploding in the first place.

But I have developed a habit of licking myself after using things like sulphuric to make sure it's been washed off thoroughly (it hangs around for a loooong time even with lots of rinsing sometimes). If it's still there, there'll be a tangy taste when my tongue touches it (like licking a lemon). It's not harmful, and leaving it there is more likely to burn you than swallowing it, where it'll be diluted down to nothingness.

I do seriously doubt it's helping my teeth. Especially the enamel.

Did you know the enamel layer is rebuilt after two hours of not eating, by the saliva redepositing it? Hence, eating a couple of grapes (or any other citrus fruit) every now and again throughout the day keeps it permanently in a partially rotted down state, and permeable. Ever noticed your teeth feel gritty after eating a tangy apple? Then go smooth again.

So do the acids the bacteria release, which is partly why it's a good idea to eat at specific times, rather than continually fuel them with things to have an acid piss party with.

{edit}That makes me wonder if purposefully making the enamel permeable prior to applying peroxide may bleach the tea / coffee out of the layer below with lower concentrations. The enamel will be back later that day anyway. An even more rapid way to a fake hollywood smile.

[Edited on 28-9-2010 by peach]

Justin
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 16:56

They sell that bubblegum over here in the US as "bubble-yum", if you like that stuff theres some stuff called "big league chew" it looks like a pack of chewing tobacco, it tastes just like bubble yum but its cut into short strings instead of blocks. No wonder america is overweight
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 17:31

Yeah, that's the stuff! Bubble Yum. :D

I was buying it in shop packs.

I've often thought about setting up a shop in London selling all the at home favourites for each nation, and retro sweets or cereals. The yuppies would yup it up, and London is prime central for yupsters.

More importantly, foreigners would have somewhere to buy it locally. Some people sell it online over here, but the prices are crazy. £5 for a pack of cereal is a bit much. Fruit loops aren't even nice. :P

Go To Top