Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sandmeyer Apparatus - Acceptable?
Paper
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 06:25
Sandmeyer Apparatus - Acceptable?

I'm trying to make GBL for use as a solvent, but I do not own much equipment that can hold the quantities I'm trying to use. Do you think use of a separatory set to dropwise addition of HCl to a 1 gal wine jug containing the GABA/NaNO2 mixture would be sufficient for respectable yield? The rxn will take place inside a fume hood on top of a thermometric magnetic stirrer set to cool. Temp will be monitored with a standard alcohol thermometer.

How crucial is controlling the rate of addition for this one? I have a 500ml sep fun I'm looking at using, but I have no idea how much the dropping rate changes as the level goes down seeing as how I've never measured, lol... Correct me if I'm wrong, I guessed most workups only call for a P-E addition fun to vent the Nitrogen Oxides produced in lieu of the fume hood.

[Edited on 6-9-2010 by Paper]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 06:30

What compound is GABA? Please use standard chemical names and not this kind of acronyms.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Quantum_Dom
Hazard to Self

Mood: Entangled

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 06:32

Im affraid this is in the wrong section as no information or references regarding the substrate at stake is provided.

solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 06:43

Reference Information

GABA:IUPAC name 4-aminobutanoic acid

γ-Aminobutyric acid (GABA) (pronounced /ˈɡæmə əˈmiːnoʊbjuːˈtɪrɨk ˈæsɨd/, or the acronym pronounced /'gæbə/) is the chief inhibitory neurotransmitter in the mammalian central nervous system. It plays a role in regulating neuronal excitability throughout the nervous system. In humans, GABA is also directly responsible for the regulation of muscle tone.[1] In insect species GABA acts only on excitatory nerve receptors.

Although chemically it is an amino acid, GABA is rarely referred to as such in the scientific or medical communities, because the term "amino acid," used without a qualifier, refers to the alpha amino acids, which GABA is not, nor is it incorporated into proteins.

......source,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-Aminobutyric_acid

[Edited on 6-9-2010 by solo]

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
Paper
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 07:29

http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/gaba2ghb.htm... Was looking at this earlier. Planning on fractional distillation to get me GBL. Are you saying I posted this in the wrong section? Which section should this go in, for future reference? I'd love a mod to help me out with my mistake and move it :)
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
7-9-2010 at 06:58
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 9-9-2010 at 11:38

Someone else who's interested in neurotransmitters? EXCELLENT!

I want a little collection of ampules with them all in, to see the tangible keys to the conscious mind.

I can't answer the questions though, I haven't done anything with GABA... yet.

[Edited on 9-9-2010 by peach]

Go To Top