Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Questions about clan lab trends (title change)
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 28-2-2019 at 08:08

Quote: Originally posted by Jackson  
I am sort of interested in analogs. I say sort of because I’m less interested in their shared properties with a drug, and more with their different properties. I am basically interested in synthesis/design of new compounds based of tryptamines/phenethylamines that have potential uses in medicine, rather than recreationally. I have been running docking simulations of proteins with a couple different molecules, and I don’t currently want to synthesize these compounds, but I do have a question about a specific grouping of compounds. It seems that when Substituted phenethylamines have a benzyl group added onto their nitrogen, they become more active, but they also become more toxic. Why is this? Is the added toxicity due to metabolism products, is the compound itself more toxic, or is it something completely different?
Perhaps you should start a new thread ;)

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 28-2-2019 at 17:26

i always found it easier to just buy the shit myself.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

WangleSpong5000
Hazard to Others

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 16:34

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  

lol!

Methamphetamine is usually synthesized from pseudoephedrine or ephedrine... The dextrorotary (+)- or d- enantiomer is (1S,2S)-pseudoephedrine, whereas the levorotating (−)- or l- form is (1R,2R)-pseudoephedrine.... Dextro-pseudo yeilds dextromethamp, and Levo-ephedrine yeilds dextromethamp. Dextromethamphetamine is the desired outcome as the levo-rotary isomer (or enantiomer... whatevs) only really effects the sympathetic nervous system without displacing dopamine and reversing the reuptake mechanism... which is what one wants obviously.

P2P yeilds racemic methamp... old biker meth was apparently made this way...

Hyperbole be thy name
WangleSpong5000
Hazard to Others

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 16:34

lol!

Methamphetamine is usually synthesized from pseudoephedrine or ephedrine... The dextrorotary (+)- or d- enantiomer is (1S,2S)-pseudoephedrine, whereas the levorotating (−)- or l- form is (1R,2R)-pseudoephedrine.... Dextro-pseudo yeilds dextromethamp, and Levo-ephedrine yeilds dextromethamp. Dextromethamphetamine is the desired outcome as the levo-rotary isomer (or enantiomer... whatevs) only really effects the sympathetic nervous system without displacing dopamine and reversing the reuptake mechanism... which is what one wants obviously.

Hyperbole be thy name
DrIronic101
Harmless

Mood: Insomniated

[*] posted on 16-9-2019 at 20:38

Quote: Originally posted by WangleSpong5000  

lol!

Region plays a big part in how methamphetamine is synthesized. In the United States, it is nearly always synthesized from behind-the-counter pseudoephedrine. Similarly in South-East Asia, it is synthesized from pseudoephedrine as well. India is the world's largest producer of pseudoephedrine as a matter of fact.

The route from pseudoephedrine tends to be a lucrative method of producing d-methamphetamine. Involves a cheap precursor, cheap reagents, high yield.

Racemic methamphetamine derived from phenylacetone (p2p) tends to be most common in super-labs in Central America and China. Due to the fact that these regions have easier access to phenylacetone than they do pseudoephedrine, Mexican and Chinese methamphetamine is more often racemic than the d-isomer.

"Technically, chemistry is the study of matter, but I prefer to see it as the study of change. Electrons—they change their energy levels. Molecules change their bonds. Elements—they combine and change into compounds. Well, that’s all of life, right? It’s the constant. It’s the cycle. It’s solution, dissolution, just over and over and over. It is growth, then decay, then transformation." -Walter White on what chemistry is.
Yttrium2
Perpetual Question Machine

[*] posted on 18-9-2019 at 17:29

Recently in the news there was a lab in the Philiphines utilizing Benzyl Cyanide to make the p2p, I thought this was interesting.

You can find videos of people on youtube making p2p, the chemistry should work(I presume) but I don't think they are certain with what is in the final product without some analytical chemistry.
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 19-9-2019 at 07:57

Let me tell you, as someone who is deep into clandestine chemistry, that they are certain what the final products are and what is in it.

And that many, many things are synthesised in such labs.
Yttrium2

[*] posted on 19-9-2019 at 10:41

Edited

[Edited on 9/19/2019 by Yttrium2]
Yttrium2

[*] posted on 19-9-2019 at 11:03

Don't they have to have analytical chemistry, or analytical chemists pass down information. Without it aren't they shooting in the dark. How would they know with certainty what they are producing without the above listed?

This knowledge is likely passed down by the Chinese, its where the raw materials were coming from in the Philippines lab.

What exemplifies this is the person on chemplayer, (or was it reactionfactory) - who made the p2p, they stated that they weren't for sure if they had made the p2p without analytical testing.

So even though the reaction mechanisms are there (did I say that right?) There not for certain.

Is organic chemistry like building blocks in the dark without analytical chemistry?

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-9-2019 at 16:01

you can do tests to get relative certainty. but this is why street drugs are Russian ruoelet with your life, the cooks really don't care nor does the junky.

The high quality driven ones will at least do the basics, but the higher end ones will certainly have the gear to do more substantive tests, unlike a hobbyist they have 100's of thousands dollars flowing through weekly if not daily!
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-9-2019 at 16:23

Quote: Originally posted by Yttrium2  
Don't they have to have analytical chemistry, or analytical chemists pass down information. Without it aren't they shooting in the dark. How would they know with certainty what they are producing without the above listed?

This knowledge is likely passed down by the Chinese, its where the raw materials were coming from in the Philippines lab.

What exemplifies this is the person on chemplayer, (or was it reactionfactory) - who made the p2p, they stated that they weren't for sure if they had made the p2p without analytical testing.

So even though the reaction mechanisms are there (did I say that right?) There not for certain.

Is organic chemistry like building blocks in the dark without analytical chemistry?

Recrystallization or fractional distillation followed by rudimentary characterization with properties like melting point, boiling point, or physical appearance. Maybe TLC if they're 'sophisticated' amateurs.
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 20-9-2019 at 04:49

I was going to note the importance of TLC as far as high resolution for low cost. For personal consumption weights, a big packed column periodically sampled with TLC is probably the best way to purify relatively complex compounds from similar side products.

A used FTIR would be a great option as well, which can be had for a few grand and a bit of fiddling once you know what you're looking for. These days, you can find a lot of the spectral references for simple compounds for free online, and could help verify the purity of your building blocks.

A number of companies are now making portable gas chromatographs using room air as the carrier. While this has many disadvantages and is generally unsuitable for precise analytical work, for less than $3k it is still a powerful and relatively inexpensive tool if only to get an idea about purity.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top