Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ACS (certified) Reagent grade 99.8%+ Iodine flakes (Fischer) & 30% ACS Reagent H2O2 available
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2019 at 21:18
ACS (certified) Reagent grade 99.8%+ Iodine flakes (Fischer) & 30% ACS Reagent H2O2 available

I'm the highest bidder on an auction that is on it's 4th relisting (all others got no bids), and it is going to close Tuesday morning. There are a number of cases of 500g bottles of iodine flakes (Fischer brand) that are crazy expensive from Fischer. I do suspect the bidding to increase the last few hours and I'll bid on it if there are others interested in getting some of these bottles. There are 6 bottles per case and at least 3 full cases and 5 more bottles.

Here is the link to the items listed on fischersci.com
https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products/iodine-flakes-certified-acs-fisher-chemical-2/I37500
I beleive these are the same or near identical product:
https://us.vwr.com/store/product/4548385/iodine-crystal-ar-acs-macron-fine-chemicals

I'll offer the 500g bottles for $60 each + shipping (UPS ground if that is alright) and I can do better for multiple bottles. I can ship them out on Friday (earliest pickup date). These prices are for any orders before the auction closes, after that the price will go up. If you are interested in cases, contact me and I'll work something out.

I'll accept paypal and I need to know ASAP for those

Once I receive the lot, I can offer these in 100g and 250g lots (re-bottled, won't be factory sealed, but I can provide original lot #)

There is also 30% ACS (certified) Reagent grade H2O2. I haven't been told of the brand, I suspect it is Fischer, Alfa, Sigma, or some other major supplier, as all other chemicals in the lot are from these suppliers. It comes in a polyethylene bottle

https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products/hydrogen-peroxide-30-certified-acs-fisher-chemical-6/H325500

https://www.spectrumchemical.com/OA_HTML/chemical-products_Hydrogen-Peroxide-Solution-30-Percent-Reagent-ACS_H1065.jsp?section=26650

https://www.coleparmer.com/i/spectrum-chemical-hydrogen-peroxide-30-solution-reagent-acs-grade-500-ml/8010022

$35 per bottle (ground shipping via UPS) (they list for $100-190 each). I know this is a little pricey but if you want truly certified ACS reagent grade, IDK if it can be found cheaper. Payment via paypal & can be shipped friday as well.

If anyone wants one or both of the items, I will give the best price before the auction ends, so I know how high I can bid, if there is competition at the end. I also need payment before the auction ends to offer the reduced price. If for some reason I don't win the auction, I will refund the money immediately after the auction (same day), there shouldn't be any charges but if there are, I'll pay them.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-2-2019 at 20:38

There are still some bottles of I2 available and I'm still top bidder, so things are looking good.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 19-2-2019 at 01:47

Good : Iodine seems to be a depleting resource so is an investment for the future

Bad : No one has offered to group buy so the investment may be all your own

Ugly : Large quantities of iodine may suggest clandestine drug manufacture and iodine is 'illegal' in the USA

I have slightly less than 250g iodine in my stock as I bought 250g a few years ago :)
i.e. for typical hobby chemistry only a small quantity of iodine is required.

I'm not saying don't buy it because I do not know your circumstances,
but you may start watching eBay hoping someone outbids your impulsive bid
- as I have done more than once :P

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
happyfooddance
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-2-2019 at 15:21

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
Large quantities of iodine may suggest clandestine drug manufacture and iodine is 'illegal' in the USA

It is not illegal, my friend! I believe it is watched as a drug precursor, but I wouldn't be concerned about it (as long as you aren't making drugs of course). There are tons of uses for iodine (biological staining, starch testing for brewers, making touch powder lol) so I would be more worried about it's depletion, like you mentioned, than it's legality.
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-2-2019 at 16:29

How well does iodine store (i.e. will it leak through threaded caps or destroy PTFE lined caps)? I might want some to play around with but I don't imagine I'll use anywhere near 500g.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-2-2019 at 16:34

The auction is over.

I'm in contact with the seller to see if I can get in contact with the winning bidder. I was the leading bidder at the end and it went into extended bidding and after 4 bid increases the page reloaded (20 mins after closing) and it dropped my access to extended bidding, so I couldn't finish the bid.

I did get a few people who were interested in various amounts. I've been able to purchase partial lots from winners before, so I'm waiting to see if the winner wants/needs all of it and if they are willing to part with some of the lot.

If anyone is still interested, let me know. I don't need any $ until I get confirmation from the winning bidder and those who already paid I've been in contact with about refund or waiting until I hear from the winner.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 19-2-2019 at 17:29

I used to use a service called e-snipe (or some such thing), for such situations.

For a small fee, you could contract them to close the deal.

Of course, they wouldn't exceed my maximum allowable bid limit.

But, bid limit allowing, they always performed for me.

The good thing about this service, is that it left "sleeping dogs" in quiet repose. No slowly escalating bidding wars, to arouse widespread interest.

Just a sudden torrent of invisible last second bids, right at the finish line.

As for the legality of Iodine in the USA. It isn't exactly illegal to possess, but you must be in possession of a Chemical Handlers Permit, to legally sell it. It is a recorded transaction. So.... That e-bay seller, probably has a permit. Unless, of course, the seller is outside the USA. In which case, a USA buyer, would need a permit to import the material.

In short, for the average Joe USA; you can buy I2 from a USA seller, but you can't re-sell it. And, you can't buy it at all, from a foreign seller.

Without the right paperwork, either importing or re-selling, is a crime.

Maybe a serious crime. Depends.

[Edited on 20-2-2019 by zed]

RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-2-2019 at 17:41

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
I used to use a service called e-snipe (or some such thing), for such situations.

For a small fee, you could contract them to close the deal.

Of course, they wouldn't exceed my maximum allowable bid limit.

But, bid limit allowing, they always performed for me.

I might look into that. I've never had that kind of problem before on this site. The auction page has a "bid history" that opens up a page over-top of the bidding page. I checked this history during extended bidding and when it closed, it reloaded/refreshed the bidding page and I was locked out. I was really pissed.

It is a little bit my fault. I should have put in a higher max bid amount and this wouldn't have been a problem, but the times I've done that, the closing price has almost always been the smallest amount under my max bid, that the auction allows (like if I max bid of $1,000 it might close at $990 - b/c it goes in $10 bid increments). After I saw that happen 6-7 times, I realized it was pretty impossible for each auction to close so close to my max bid. There are some sites where this type of thing happens and others where I've never experienced it, it just takes time to figure out which are which.
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-2-2019 at 17:59

If there is any possible way to cheat, folks will utilize it.

In most states, it is illegal to run up the auction price, by bidding on your own merchandise. Likewise, it is illegal to run up the auction price, by utilizing a confederate to assist you.

Illegal or not, folks do it all of the time. Easy to do, hard to prove!

Got a local car auction, where a family of Gypsies sells a lot of cars...
They max out the price, and if they accidentally win the bid, they back out.

Been doing it for years. The Auction house allows it. They need the business. When the Gypsy guys show interest in a car, I stuff my hands in my pockets and refrain from bidding. No deal here.

RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-2-2019 at 18:13

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
If there is any possible way to cheat, folks will utilize it.

In most states, it is illegal to run up the auction price, by bidding on your own merchandise. Likewise, it is illegal to run up the auction price, by utilizing a confederate to assist you.

Illegal or not, folks do it all of the time. Easy to do, hard to prove!

Yeah I caught a company doing this some time ago. They would post auctions with no reserve and I would be the highest (and often only) bidder until the last 30 seconds when the price would climb like crazy. I'd end up loosing the auction about 95% of the time b/c it would go too high. I later would find the same item (same S/N & even the same picture being used) on their website listing the item for sale and even listing it again in the next auction with no reserve again. They did this within their own company and also were working with another one where it seemed they would trade inventory from month to month for things that didn't sell for the price they wanted.

If they would list the item with a reserve, I wouldn't care, but a no-reserve auction often brings in a lot more bidders and it ends up wasting a lot of time.
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-2-2019 at 18:20

Yup!

Go To Top