Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: insulation
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 24-9-2010 at 13:49
insulation

Below is a picture of some insulation used to lag water pipes to keep them from freezing. I bought this as it was cheap and came in a very convenient form, ie, a strip 1/2"x3"x25'. However, in use it discolored from a yellow to an orange as you can see. Temperature of use was ~200C.

I'm supposing that an organic binder was decomposing as there was a little smoke emitted also when used. Does anyone know?

Does this mean that ordinary building trade type insulation is likely not suitable at this temperature and that I will have to go to lab grade fiberglass wool or kaowool? Any other suggestions?

discolored insulation.JPG - 39kB

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
aonomus
Hazard to Others

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 24-9-2010 at 13:54

As far as I know, most fiberglass batts come with some sort of binder or glue to help hold it together during manufacturing and handling during installation, and these might be prone to offgassing. Your best bet would be to look towards insulation rated for furnaces, fireplaces, ovens, etc, as those will certainly be rated for heat exposure.
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-9-2010 at 14:41

I second aonomus. Ceramic/pottery suppliers generally have a range of insulation materials - loose 'wool', rope, batts, boards, castable; for a range of temperatures. Ordinary building construction materials aren't intended for temperatures much outside of human tolerable range, save for firebrick and the like in fireplaces and flues.

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-9-2010 at 15:33

Sounds like an organic binder to me, too. It's likely the weakest link, temperature-wise; I can't imagine the glass fiber has lower heat tolerance. You might try re-binding the batt with sodium silicate. Pottery-store grade should work. Dilute it down, soak the batt, drain, dry until moist, form in place. When you heat it again, it will rigidify, but I assume that's OK for your application.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-9-2010 at 16:21

While waterglass is a trad binder, test on small scale - I've been surprised by how little sodium silicate was needed to turn some fiberglass insulation into limp wad of low melting glass. Other types/brands stood up well, so it's not as if it you should rule the combination out.

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-9-2010 at 18:41

Quote: Originally posted by not_important  
While waterglass is a trad binder, test on small scale - I've been surprised by how little sodium silicate was needed to turn some fiberglass insulation into limp wad of low melting glass.
Yes. I don't know what a decent dilution is, but it'll have to be fairly low. You can compute an upper bound by estimating the mass of the glass and the mass equivalent Na2O in the water glass. Soda-lime glass is typically around 12-14% soda. Start with a target of, say, 5% near points of deposition.

The goal is to make a little dot of glass-glue at fiber intersections. The ideal physical properties of the binder solution are high cohesion , so it tends to ball up, and low/moderate adhesion, so that it will stick to the fiber some, but not too much. This combination will energetically favor (surface energies of the free boundary and the contact boundary) deposition where fibers touch. I don't know much about the modifiers that are available, but I know there are a lot of them. Soap reduces surface tension, so that's not what you want; perhaps a soluble oil. A bit of sugar should improve adhesion, if needed, and will burn off just fine. Someone who know more about this kind of formulation might want to jump in at this point.
SWilkin676
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 16:16

Check out Fiberfrax.
http://www.fiberfrax.com/#Fiberfrax-Bulk-Fibers

Also the wraps they use on racing exhausts can go up to 1000F.

[Edited on 29-9-2010 by SWilkin676]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 16:23

Yes. I'm sure Fiberfrax is good but one of the more expensive of the high temperature insulations, IIRC. I solved my problem by putting a layer of Kaowool (or equivalent) next to the hot surface then applying the cheap pipe insulation over that.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 16:05

Go To Top