Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What are the regulations affecting hobby chemistry in Malaysia ?
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2019 at 06:18
What are the regulations affecting hobby chemistry in Malaysia ?

I have a (red) Malaysian identity card and I plan to move back to Malaysia later this year with my family.
I want to take as much of my chemistry stuff as possible with me.
(no matter what, some of my chemicals will not be shipped for obvious safety reasons)

Any (preferably Malaysian) chemistry fans here able to guide me ?
(moving to 'kampung terpencil' (tepat Jin tendae) so few neighbours)

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 22-2-2019 at 06:34

I only know you have to make sure you don't have need for a VPN connection at any time, as those are almost impossible to set up. ISPs are hunting down VPNs and will block them actively. A colleague worked in Malaysia for a couple of months, and for his work he needed to log into the university server in Germany, the fastest connection he could set up was about 5kb/s and most of the time if he managed to set up a connection it would be blocked in days. I remember downgrading a lot of data in size and quality in order to be able to send it via email to him.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2019 at 06:54

Prior to Dr.M getting back in power the telecom agencies were ripping-off their customers.
According to relatives in Malaysia the internet is suddenly MUCH MUCH faster - at no extra cost.
(my relatives would not know of any chemistry-relevant regulations)

I KNOW that Dr. M's previous attitude was that the internet is un-policeable so don't try.

ANY (Eastern) nation SHOULD be wary of VPNs !

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 22-2-2019 at 07:35

Yes, but are they blocking VPNs? Internet can be fast as lightning, but if your use of it requires a VPN connection it is as useless as a Ferrari without wheels.

Example given: If I need something that is stored on the company servers, I need to connect via VPN. Even if I would want to do my hour declarations I need a VPN. The VPN client, including credentials, comes with my laptop from work, but if I were in Malaysia for a client I would have a problem.

[Edited on 22-2-2019 by Tsjerk]

Go To Top