Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Labconoco rotary evaporator - how much different than a Buchi is this?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2019 at 08:03
Labconoco rotary evaporator - how much different than a Buchi is this?

I'm looking at rotovap and I've found one that may be a good deal, thought I've had difficult time finding any information about them. They are not as ubiquitous as Buchi, so IDK if that make this more difficult shoudl something break.

I'm especially curious about the glassware and if these require something different or special as opposed to Buchi units. The unit I'm looking at has the glass unit that goes through the drive mechanism, but the image is terrible quality (waiting on better quality and diff pics)

This is the glass that would connect to the boiling flask, I'm guessing the ground/tapered end goes to the boiling flask, but the arm turns both ways, and the other end is ambiguous as to how it is made/shaped.

Any insight in these would be helpful. If you've used one of these and can report on quality, that would be great, especially if you have used a buchi as well.

I'm wondering if both ends of this glass tube turn and if the red "nut" is to be screwed onto a special flask to hold it in place - which would suck b/c it needs special flasks compared to buchi's. the straight tube end looks like it could receive a PTFE bearing/tapered fitting that could be secured into a condensing unit though - so the PTFE bearing would slide on the glass "pipe" in the picture, then be secured into the condensor unit.

end 2.jpg - 56kB

Labconco-Rotary-Evaporator-Cat-No-7889200.jpg - 270kB

Labconco-Rotary-Evaporator-Cat-No-7889200-_2.jpg - 294kB Labconco-Rotary-Evaporator-Cat-No-7889200-_3.jpg - 172kB

Labconco-Rotary-Evaporator-Cat-No-7889200-_4.jpg - 165kB Labconco-Rotary-Evaporator-Cat-No-7889200-_57.jpg - 253kB
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 9-3-2019 at 19:58

I know a thing or two about Rotovaps. This Labconco one looks very different, but uses pretty much the same parts as a Buchi. The only thing that you should be concerned about breaking is the vapor duct. This part is pretty common and you can find compatible ones on eBay for cheap.

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-3-2019 at 21:10

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceHideout  
I know a thing or two about Rotovaps. This Labconco one looks very different, but uses pretty much the same parts as a Buchi. The only thing that you should be concerned about breaking is the vapor duct. This part is pretty common and you can find compatible ones on eBay for cheap.

Thank you. I haven't seen these models very much and there isn't a lot about them online, so I wasn't sure if there was much difference. The problem is I dont' know the taper of this model and the seller isn't being responsive, conversely, the price has been low b/c no one knows much about it it seems.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-3-2019 at 17:53

I have used non-Buchi rotovaps, and found widely varying results. They will be harder to find parts, manuals, and repairs on. I would rather have an old Buchi than a new unknown one, as I have years of experience with the Buchi, and can fix them and get parts easily. But if you have no parts or experience, it might not matter near as much. But a poor seller now who does not answer questions is a bad sign and means might not know if it is complete, working or obsolete.

Go To Top